GO!

Cat or kitten adoption?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

Purred: Thu Jul 25, '13 7:20am PST 
Thinking about adopting a cat..Any issues adopting a declawed cat? Also, if we get a kitten or young cat, I would never want to declaw after reading all the info, so is it possible to have a cat without it destroying my furniture? Also, we almost adopted sisters cat, but gave it back after a day as we felt bad keeping it from its sister..But I must say Im worried about the hair! I brushed the cat 5 x and hair was everywhere..Only had her a day..But maybe she was very stressed???.She did seem scared...Even after a huge house cleaning, her hair was everywhere...Thats a big concern, we only had her a day..Is it possible to keep a nice clean home, or to train the cat to stay off my fancy living room furniture?....I dont mind the other furniture as much..Thanks!!! Just trying to get all the answers I can to be ready..I did have a cat growing up that we declawed..back in the 90's and I dont remember much I was a teenager then..
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 5:17am PST 
I'll try to help. There can be issues with declawed cats. As you know, declawing is a amputation procedure so the cat can have pain in its feet, particularly in the litter box. They also can have behavioral issues since their first defenses have been removed. They can be scared or bitey. That said, every cat should be given a chance and a reputable rescue will let you do a "foster with intent" so you can see how the cat behaves in your home before signing any adoption papers.

With regard to fur, yes, stress can cause excessive shedding. Some cats just naturally shed more than others and obviously long hair is more visible when it sheds. But a good diet and daily brushing can cut down on shedding tremendously.

For furniture, make sure your cat has both vertical and horizontal scratching posts. Use double sided tape on any furniture that looks tempting until the cat uses his posts exclusively. Yes, it's possible to keep a nice house with cats!

Last, if you adopt a kitten, consider taking a pair. Kittens are very high energy and having a playmate will help save your house and your sanity!

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Tonka - R.I.P.

Is it time for- dinner yet?

Purred: Fri Jul 26, '13 6:00pm PST 
My first cat was an adult 4 year old that I picked up at the shelter. He was an amazing cat.

I was given the advice to "let the cat choose you" - and Tonka definitely chose me.
[notify]

Gabielle

Tons of toes!

Purred: Thu Aug 1, '13 2:34pm PST 
I always advocate adult rescue. Most of the cats I've owned, except for Maus (who was rescued with his mother) , Kitty (childhood cat adopted as a single kitten. was not the most friendly as an adult), and Brooke (rescued as a kitten from Brooklyn, also not the most friendly as an adult) were adopted as adults.
Adopting an adult cat is nice because you know what kind of temperament they have.

As far as shedding goes, brushing a cat on a regular basis can help with the shedding. Vacuuming and sticky rollers also go a long way. I have more than one scratching post, one in each room and of different kinds (sisal rope, corrugated cardboard) to encourage appropriate scratching.
We have a leather couch and the cats have yet to do any damage to it. They definitely prefer their scratching posts.

Fur on the furniture on the other hand..

If anyone can find a way to prevent a cat from jumping on the furniture, please let me know laugh out loud
[notify]

Snoopy

Purred: Thu Aug 22, '13 2:30pm PST 
As for cat or kitten, I agree with the cat option because you can tell how they are now. And as for the fur, I have a Himalayan and yes, she sheds but not near as much as I thought she might. I brush her and it makes a big difference. Now, Gabielle, you asked about how to keep your cat off of your furniture, I have a fabric couch and my cat loved to jump up on the top of the back and lay there forever. Well, I learned online that if you place aluminum foil on the furniture you don't want them laying on, that they won't touch it. I covered the top of this couch with foil. She jumped up there one time and hasn't been back since and this was several years ago. She couldn't stand the noise. She won't even get on any part of this couch now. I know you probably don't want to cover all of your furniture with foil but maybe just your cats favorite spots might help. Good luck.
[notify]