GO!

Colloildal Silver and Coronavirus/FIP

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Cleo

Queen of the- Nile

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:48am PST 
Hello all!

Earlier this year I made a post full of concerns about Cleo's illnesses. Turns out, she has the coronavirus (precursor to FIP) and various colon issues. She just turned 1 this summer and is an otherwise very healthy cat other than her extremely sensitive tummy, but the coronavirus threatens to take her health away at any moment. This is why I need discussion.

I want to know if any of you have any experience with giving your kitties colloidal silver internally. I know this is a controversial holistic method for me to try, but I want to boost Cleo's immune system and **potentially** ward off the coronavirus as there's no known medical cure for the virus. It's possible for the cat to eventually fight it off and stop shedding it, but picking up the virus from its own litter box is extremely easy, so the coronavirus is considered a lifelong threat.

A friend of mine has a kitten a bit younger than Cleo, and she was having similar problems: not gaining weight, sickly, but still playful. She took her kitten to the same vet as mine, the best cat vet in the area, and said her kitten had FIP and basically told her she was already dying. Having access to colloidal silver because her mom owns a generator, she figured she had nothing to lose and gave her kitten some that night. It's been months now and her kitten is still healthy and thriving with daily silver supplementation. I told her about Cleo and she is making me a batch of 10ppm silver, and I already bought a small jar from the store of 10ppm.

I'm not saying this is an end-all-be-all cure for FIP, but I think this may be a valuable avenue for pet owners to explore and if anyone has any experience with colloidal silver, good or bad, or any advice for Cleo I would love to her it!

Thank you! flowers
[notify]

Purred: Fri Jul 12, '13 12:55pm PST 
I copied this from another website. While the Q & A were human related, it certainly applies to our pets also.
We are all aware of the danger of heavy metal poisoning from Lead or Mercury. What you may not know is gold and silver, taken internally, are eventually, just as deadly.
---------------
Colloidal silver: Is it safe or effective?
My dad takes colloidal silver for his health, but is it safe?

Answer
from Brent A. Bauer, M.D.

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

Colloidal silver products are made of tiny silver particles suspended in a liquid — the same type of precious metal used in jewelry, dental fillings, silverware and other consumer goods. Colloidal silver products are usually marketed as dietary supplements that are taken by mouth. Colloidal silver products also come in forms to be injected or applied to the skin.

Manufacturers of colloidal silver products often claim that they are cure-alls, boosting your immune system, fighting bacteria and viruses, and treating cancer, HIV/AIDS, shingles, herpes, eye ailments and prostatitis. However, no sound scientific studies to evaluate these health claims have been published in reputable medical journals. In fact, the Food and Drug Administration has taken action against some manufacturers of colloidal silver products for making unproven health claims.

It's not clear how much colloidal silver may be harmful, but it can build up in your body's tissues over months or years. Most commonly, this results in argyria (ahr-JIR-e-uh), a blue-gray discoloration of your skin, eyes, internal organs, nails and gums. While argyria doesn't pose a serious health problem, it can be a cosmetic concern because it doesn't go away when you stop taking silver products.

Rarely, excessive doses of colloidal silver can cause possibly irreversible serious health problems, including kidney damage and neurological problems such as seizures. Colloidal silver products may also interact with medications, including penicillamine, quinolone, tetracycline and thyroxine medications.
[notify]

Naya

Play with Me!

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 4:33pm PST 
Here is is copy and paste from another site about colloidal silver:

"There are three distinctly different types of silver that are labeled and sold on the market as “colloidal silver”; they are ionic silver, silver protein, and true colloidal silver. Commercial Product Reports provide detailed laboratory analysis of colloidal products. Scientific product testing performed by CSL is an unbiased examination of the physical properties of colloids using the best scientific methods and equipment available. The instruments used to perform the tests are described in detail and the test methods are fully revealed so that the entire suite of product tests can be duplicated by others. Before exploring the reports, charts, graphs, and details of the tests, it is important to have a basic understanding of the three types of products that are marketed as Colloidal Silver. The three types of products that consumers find labeled as “colloidal silver” can be categorized as follows: ionic silver solutions , silver protein, and true colloidal silver. The vast majority of products labeled and sold as colloidal silver fall into this category due to the low degree of manufacturing complexity and resulting low cost of production. Confusingly, ads for these products frequently claim that silver ions are small silver particles or describe the product as consisting of ionic silver particles. Silver solutions are typically clear like water or have a slight yellow tint. Companies that sell ionic silver claim that their product is "true colloidal silver" in an attempt to confuse the buyer. Many producers of ionic silver recommend that the product be stored only in glass containers. To figure out whether a solution is ionic silver, you only need add chloride ions. The difference between silver ions and silver particles boils down to the fact that silver ions combine with chloride ions to form silver chloride and silver particles do not. “Colloidal silver” generators sold to home hobbyists all produce ionic silver solutions. Ionic silver products, when taken according to the manufacturers recommended dosage, will not cause argyria, a condition that causes the skin to turn blue-gray. The term colloidal means particles not ions, but producers of ionic silver products will try to convince the buyer that their product is a silver colloid. Silver protein products are the second most prevalent type of so-called colloidal silver products on the market. Most products claiming to be high concentrations of colloidal silver (typically in the range of 30 to 20,000 ppm) are in fact silver protein colloids. Silver protein products generally have very large silver particles, so large that they would not remain suspended as colloidal particles without protein additives. Of the three types of colloidal silver, silver protein products have the lowest particle surface area for a given silver concentration , making the silver inaccessible for safe human absorption and less effective for human use. When shaken, a silver protein product produces foam above the liquid that will persist for minutes after being shaken. Silver protein products tend to have very high concentration values, typically in the range of 30 to 20,000 ppm.The color ranges from light amber to almost black with an increasing concentration of silver. •Due to the high concentration of large silver particles, silver protein products are known to cause argyria, a condition that causes the skin to turn blue-gray. •Adding protein to colloidal silver is also potentially unsafe because of bacteria, according to Professor Ronald Gibbs who discussed this fact in his booklet " Silver Colloids". True colloidal silver products are the least prevalent type of colloidal silver on the market due to high degree of manufacturing complexity and the resulting high cost of production. In true colloidal silver, the majority of the silver content is in the form of silver particles.The two critical factors to look for in determining true colloids are the percentage of silver particles and the particle surface area. Of all the types of silver marketed as colloidal, true colloidal silver products have the highest particle surface area. The nanometer-sized particles in true silver colloids remain in colloidal suspension without requiring protein or other additives. Because of the high concentration of silver particles, true silver colloids are never clear like water. Due to the very low concentration of ionic silver and small particle size, true silver colloids do not cause argyria, a condition that causes the skin to turn blue-gray. The effectiveness of a colloid is predicated on particle surface area, therefore particle surface area is the single most important metric for comparing colloidal products. In the booklet "Silver Colloids" Professor Ronald Gibbs wrote "The size of the particles in the colloidal silver suspensions we use for health purposes is very important." In this context, effectiveness is defined as the ability of the colloid to interact with its environment , just as in the world of chemistry, where surface area determines how well substances react with one another. Effectiveness of a colloid is determined by the particle surface area making it the single most important metric for comparing colloids. It seems clear that some companies are not properly measuring the silver concentration in their products. Accurate determination of silver concentration requires the use of either an atomic absorption/emission spectrometer or a mass spectrometer. When an FDA laboratory determines metal concentration they use either and ICP/AES or an ICP/MS whose readings will match very closely the values that are indicated on the lab analysis pages. Ionic silver products which have a low silver concentration while at the same time have high electrical conductivity will generally have a low pH value (acidic). High values of electrical conductivity - ionic silver products that do not contain nitrate or some other form of contamination will typically have a conductivity reading expressed in micro-Siemens (uS/cm) that is approximately equal to the silver ion concentration in ppm. Low pH values - pH values below 7 are acidic, values above 7 are basic and exactly 7.0 is neutral. 3.No silver particles present - nitric acid will dissolve silver particles so no silver particles will be present in products that contain nitric acid. Presence of nitrate (NO3) - When a nitrate determination has been made for a given product the value of NO3 expressed in parts-per-million (ppm) of nitrate will be included on the lab analysis page. At the moment, not all lab analysis pages have nitrate test values shown.Not a single lab analysis has been disputed as of this date, and manufacturers cannot claim ignorance about the contents of the products they are selling."

http://www.silver-colloids.com/Reports/reports-new.html ?utm_expid=26661959-2.Zx-tAwuPS3u22X8_ctcAVw.1&partner=37&gclid=CMGv mo_NrbgCFeHm7AodKFcAQg&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fac lk%3Fsa%3Dl%26ai%3DCON7vz9_hUeXpN66LyQHny4GADLqrsZwCgJLOoQ6v97sJCAAQ ASCxit8GKANQw9PJ_gNgycbmjOSkwBOgAdX8hf8DyAEBqgQhT9AVhH4uZSBUGzIJZmx2 mnaJuki95mqhpnYdBypjdTIvgAWQToAHk4N6%26sig%3DAOD64_0qpmcGZBxSrODzQaf 4cNZq5rLjOA%26rct%3Dj%26frm%3D1%26q%3Dcolloidal%2Bsilver%26ved%3D0CD QQ0Qw%26adurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.silver-colloids.com%2FReports%2Frep orts.html%253Fpartner%253D37
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:11pm PST 
Response to the original post--almost every kitty has been exposed to coronavirus, it has to be a certain coronavirus (there are hundreds, but the tests don't diffrentiate) and THEN it must mutate to turn into FIP; it does not in well over 99% of us. Think the CS is a waste of money, it has been claimed to cure almost any ailment at any time but Human says it only works to cure too heavy wallets.
Seriously, the presence of coronavirus in and of itself is a routine finding, and does not mean you are 'likely' to get FIP.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Sat Jul 13, '13 8:18pm PST 
And another thing....there is no way to tell that your friend's kitten had FIP for sure unless it died and was necropsied; they could have been fairly sure IF they used a needle to remove fluid from the abdomen and tested that, found high protein levels concurrent with low white blood cells in the fluid. Was this done? If not, the vet was only guessing. Sometimes sickly kittens look like FIP cats, but are not.
And if the kitten DID have FIP, it would not have improved, FIP is fatal. You say your cat tested that it does have the coronavirus, so even if the colloidial silver worked, you already have it, and it can't be killed so waste of $. I do hope a cure is found one day, or morepreferably a vaccine that actually works. There is some brand new research that just got published within the last month that someone has found the part of the virus that can mutate--this is a good start to working on an effective vaccine.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Oct 4, '13 3:19pm PST 
Pharmaceuticals definitely have their place but i don't like it when someone gives my cat a death sentence and tells me there's nothing i can do about it. My cat was just diagnosed with FIP and I just ordered some C. Silver. I found other cat owners that have used this and it worked and they were not affiliated with the companies product.
Keep trying- i have always found there is still a way. Remember-there's no "pharmacutical" cure. I wish you all the best.

Edited by moderator Tue Oct 8, '13 9:10am PST

Edited by forums moderator

Purred: Tue Jun 24, '14 5:14pm PST 
You know what, your right FIP is often a death sentence, 1 out of every 5000 cats survive. So what does she have to lose, look if your gonna listen to the people who are ranting it turns people blue then I will just tell you right now, they don't know what they are talking about. Real colloidal silver does not turn people blue, it is simply silver, and distilled water, and the process to make it creates silver into atom sized molecules in which the body can absorb it right away. Real colloidal silver should not have to be kept somewhere dark or cool, or come in a dark amber bottle, if it does this means that it has other chemicals that shouldn't be in there, how do I know? Leave it in the sun and you'll see the silver and watch the other chemicals separate. Real colloidal silver you can get for 40$ for 32oz, and it's worth every penny. It kills me that I ordered my colloidal silver and received it while my moms kitten, a kitten that I gave her, whom I rescued and had been through so much already, died on Father's Day. She died of FIP, the wet type, and I will be totally honest, all due respect, you can tell when a cat has it, you don't need a postmortem diagnosis to tell you. It is so hard to deal with things that we are told are out of our hands, my father passed away may 20th, less than a month before the kitten, of course devastating to all of us, I pleaded with doctors, I researched every possibly doctor in Nevada if they would please treat my fathers pneumonia with colloidal silver, no one would help, and I lost my hero. I have been suffering from the after shocks of viral bronchitis I got in 2010, untreatable with antibiotics, hard to say its fully gone. I got colloidal silver and I know it's destroying the virus, I can feel changes and it's only been a week and 3 days. Try it, it could save you and your kittens life.
[notify]

Mac (Angel)

Purred: Fri Jun 27, '14 7:12pm PST 
I dont know about collidal silver but i do know about FIP, When i was told mac had this i didnt know anything, here in the UK upto 80% of cats will have or come in contact with the corona virus in their lifetime, most cats are fine and most owners never know their cats have it, between 1 and 5% of those will get fip, fip in itself isnt contagious and is just a mutated virus caused by the corona virus but the corona virus doesnt mean fip, cats can live perfectly fine with the corona virus which they shed and it can be cured, sadly for those who have a compromised immune system or a genetic family history of fip then once it mutates fip isnt curable.
[notify]