GO!

Weight Management Food Recommendations?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Twinkle

I Must Have- Attention & My- Way

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 10:58am PST 
My human grandparents have 7 cats. One of them really needs to lose some weight. He mostly stays to himself in one bedroom so they'd just put the food there. Is anyfur here an expert on weight management cat food? Does anyfur know where I can find a list of weight management cat foods online? I know since they've got 7 cats, they'll want something inexpensive with as good of a quality as they can get for the price. Thanks.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:20pm PST 
How old are the cats? What are you feeding them now? Do they eat wet, dry, both or raw? How much is too much???
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 4:52pm PST 
Here's a good place to start reading way to go http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

Unfortunately, dry foods are high in calories which means cats put on extra weight shrug Some brands are as high as 600 calories per cup shock And since many people just leave a big bowl or gravity feeder out all the time, cats overeat partially because dry food have an irresitable coating on it.

An average 10 pound cat only needs 200 to 250 calories per day, not per meal.

A 100% canned food diet will help a cat lose extra weight. Would that be doable for your Humans? thinking Or at least 50% canned food (with extra water added) and 50% dry food? It doesn't have to be expesnive food. Fancy Feast, Friskies, and other brands that can be found at the supermarket or WalMart/Target/etc are just fine.

For dry food, a grain-free brand would be best since cats can't process grains. You don't need a weight specific formula. These are only slightly lower in calories. Good brands to try are Nature's Variety Instinct and Wellness Core. Maybe the Humans can buy the grain-free dry for all 7 cats to eat?

Be sure to read the Catinfo link above to help the cat safely lose weight. Cutting calories too much can lead to fatty liver disease.
[notify]

Twinkle

I Must Have- Attention & My- Way

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 6:00pm PST 
They are 5 years old. They are all free fed dry food. They get a little wet food once a day. We want to give Weight Management a try. I eat Weight Management dry food & it does help keep my weight down. The cat that needs to lose weight is a male that is half Maine Coon. He's getting too big. He is not an active cat. What brands would anyfur recommend? Have any of you had success on lower calorie foods?
[notify]

Bastian

Oh, you don't- play? Too bad!

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 7:13pm PST 
If you are dead set on a weight management formula, Natural Balance makes a Fat Cat, extremely low calorie food.

I personally feed my kittens 100% canned with extra added water. If they act famished throughout the day, I leave a tiny bowl of dry grain free food out. You could do a 50/50 of dry and wet. Any wet would do, I'd look into ones without wheat gluten. Then, you could perhaps do the NB Fat Cat dry?
[notify]

Kyubey

PLAY!!! Play- play play play- pl...zzzzzzz

Purred: Thu Jun 27, '13 11:01pm PST 
I second the recommendation for Natural Balance Fat Cat, and I would add that if you free-feed, a fat cat is going to stay fat no matter how many calories are in the food. Meal feeding combined with a lower calorie food is the way to go.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 5:08am PST 
You are much better off with a canned food diet rather than a dry weight management formula. Dry food is full of carbs which are unhealthy and lead to obesity. Canned food is higher in protein and is healthier in so many ways. Check out the link Merlin gave you for more info. Even a cheaper canned food like the Friskies pate flavors are better than dry.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Fri Jun 28, '13 11:02am PST 
BK is right. way to go Low carb food is the way to go. Pate, pate is the way to go.

FYI-I have heard the Nature's Variety is coming out with a weigh management kibble with less fat.
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Sun Jun 30, '13 4:22pm PST 
Did you see that Petco has the Natural Balance Fat Cat 6 lb. bag online is a BOGO! So you pay $17.09 and get two 6 lb. bags.
[notify]