GO!

Teeth Cleaning and anesthesia

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baron

Purred: Thu Apr 11, '13 5:55pm PST 
Hello Everyone!
My little Goo has severe Gingervitis or as the vet calls it gingivitis. They have recommended we get his teeth cleaned. We just received the estimate in the mail and I am a bit concerned with all the medications he will receive and secondly the cost. I plan on contacting the vet to ask more in depth about the estimate but figured I would check here first!

The estimate lists Acepromazine injectable, buprinex injectable, ketamine, midazolam injectable, anesthesia inhalent (1hr), and then it lists further down extractions if needed and then cefazolin injection, local anesthesia, doxyrobe gel, metacam injectable and a few other things like cbc and radiographs.

It just seems like there are a lot of "injectables" and medications that my little kitty will receive for a cleaning. Any thoughts?
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 4:34am PST 
The first half of that list are anesthetics. The second are pain meds and antibiotics. That list isn't that strange. The blood work is especially recommended if the cat is older. You can probably waive that if you talk to the vet.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 9:31am PST 
Burprenex is a narcotic pain reliever. If you have any teeth removed, you need to take pain medicine for a few days afterwards. Burprenex is a good choice. Most vets will give the liguid form which you squirt into the cheek pouch to be directly absorbed.

Ketamine helps with inducing and maintaing anesthesia.

Metacam should NEVER be given to a cat, even though it is an approved NSAID for cats. Many cats have become ill or even died from being given Metacam.

Acepromazine is a tranquilizer. Not sure why a vet would need to give this for a dental thinking

Midazolam is a muscle relaxer.

Cefazolin is an antiobiotic.

Doxyrobe gel is to treat and prevent periodontal disease. I guess the vet will give you this to take home and maintain the cat's teeth with? thinking

The inahled anesthetic is most likely isoflurane. It is a good choice to use. All anesthetic agents can have side effects.

Bloodwork should always be done.

Radiographs of the teeth will let the vet see what issues there might be and which teeth may nee to be removed.

Sometimes vet include other fees, like hazardous waste disposal, boarding for the day, admitting, etc shrug
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Fri Apr 12, '13 3:30pm PST 
Mordred just had his dental cleaning. It's of supreme importance because teeth that are uncared for can lead to heart problems, just as with humans. I once met a couple who were waiting with their cat to see the cardiologist because the cat's teeth had not been taken care of.

Bloodwork should always be done, to be certain that the cat can tolerate anesthesia. Only by anethestizing the cat can the vet thoroughly examine each tooth; in Mordred's case, the doctor found that Mordred has calcium absorption lesions - his body is reabsorbing the calcium in his teeth. If left untreated, this is extremely painful, as the nerve eventually is expsosed. The only treatment is to extract the teeth; Mordred lost 4 of his. He'll need to be check every 6 months to watch for further lesions. I post this just to stress the importance of dental cleaning for cats.

The entire bill was for $422, which included the four extractions.

Good luck!
[notify]

Lillian

I get cuddles- 'on tap'......

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 4:40am PST 
Dear Baron....this is a really interesting question for cat-carers....I won't go into the 'ins-and-outs' of it that have caused me to think more than once about having my kitties' teeth done....it is only my experience...so I cannot tell you about 'a study' done on this.....and I have had their teeth done and I have not had their teeth done.....!!

I feel that WHATEVER you decide will be the right decision....because all we really have to go on is our love for the kitties in our care....

BUT....slightly different....METACAM.....this has come up a few times (a lot of times) on 'Cat Health'......I thought long and hard before I started giving Miss Lillie Metacam....I left it for some years....and those were years of pain for her (she has bad athritis)....she is now 12 years old.....but eventually I started giving METACAM to her every day...she is still a poor old creeping thing...but MUCH LESS SO.....!! Her life will probably be shorter....but so will the Meouwmy's life, given the pillies that she has been given by the Doctor to take.....

Whatever gets you through the day, the night, your life.....?

Jan
[notify]

Baron

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 12:06pm PST 
Thank you all very much! I'm just concerned that it is a significant amount of medication/injections for my little 12lb cat! I plan on speaking with a vet tech when I call to make the appointment. They have given us a low cost and high cost of getting his teeth cleaned which is $550 and 880. Seems insane that it is so much and that there is a significant difference in the price. I will do whatever I can to make sure he stays healthy seeing how he is either four or five years old.

We feed primarily wet and supplement with dry once a day. Goo tends to swallow it whole although we've found that he does chew the greenies that we give him. Are greenies a good choice to help with his teeth?
[notify]

Iba

World's Best- Kitten- Socializer

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 4:41pm PST 
Sweet Jesus, where do you live? Iba's dental with tooth extraction in OK cost me $220.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 4:43pm PST 
Brushing the teeth after the dental cleaning will help keep the teeth healthy way to go Every day is ideal but a few times a week would be ok if that's all you can do. Some brushing is better than no brushing, IMO. Use pet toothpaste and a pet toothbrush or finger brush. Water additives for dental health are a waste of money, IMO. Cats don't drink from a bowl very often.

Hard dental treats don't do too much to help clean teeth shrug It's like eating a hard pretzel to clean Human teeth shrug Physical scrubbing action with a brush will remove food particles and bacteria and junk off the teeth. CET dental chews are the only ones I would suggest in addition to toothbrushing. The chews are large and takes a bit of time to chew up into easy to swallow pieces.

Some people give raw poultry ncks and gizzards for dental health. The gnawing action on the rough necks and fibrous gizzards helps clean teeth and the gnawing action gives the jaw a healthy workout smile

Dental costs vary on location. Vets in large cities may charge a fortune while small country vets may charge less shrug Human has paid between $300 and $500 for dentals before, depending on what the inital dental xrays find. The dental vet does a consult first to check the teeth and do x rays. Then after looking at everying he determines what needs to be done and puts an estimate together. The acutal bill may be more or less depending on what happens during the procedure, like unexpected complications.

February is Pet Dental Health month and many vets offer a discount on dental procedures. Think of scheduling future dentals for February so you can save some money smile

Edited by author Sat Apr 13, '13 4:46pm PST

[notify]

Gabielle

Tons of toes!

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 6:50pm PST 
Before you have the dental cleaning, did your vet mention Bartonella? Our meowmy has come across many cats who just have gingivitis as a symptom, and their bartonella test (which isn't super expensive) came back positive!

bartonella aka cat scratch fever is not uncommon in cats and can cause upper respiratory issues, along with tooth issues, and is very treatable.
[notify]

Baron

Purred: Sat Apr 13, '13 9:31pm PST 
I will check with the vet about bartonella. I already received an estimate based on Goo's annual check-up appt with the vet. I'm not sure if we should see another vet that does a dental check-up/xrays before an estimate? We live about 30-40 minutes outside of Boston. I can't believe how expensive it is! I grew up with cats and never had an issue!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2