GO!

My Kitten has Runny Stool

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Xena

Purred: Thu Nov 22, '12 9:00pm PST 
Hello, I got my kitten like 4 days ago, and since i got her she has had runny stool that isnt very smelly, person i got her from said she was dewormed, but no documentation, anyways, she is acting normal, not dehydrated at all, she eats normal, (blue buffalo kitten) she will eat, then poop out runy pudding like stool, cant see any worms or anything, shes constantly drinking, always playing, not acting sick or anything, is it the food? should i buy a dewormer? she is 11 weeks old, and crazier than anything, i just want to make sure she is good, I do not have the available money to take her into the vet, any ideas? i mean she seems fine, its just the runny stool thats bothering me, is there a better kitten food to try? its only dry that i will feed her, please let me know
[notify]

Angel Lily

Lovely little- flower

Purred: Fri Nov 23, '12 11:14am PST 
You need to deworm her, definately. You need to run a fecal at your vet. She could have coccidia or giardia. Don't let it go too long, she could get sick quicky at that age.
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:09pm PST 
What was she eating at her former home? It could be that the sudden change in food caused her to get the runny poo or it could be the food itself. Blue Buffalo is a very high-protein rich food and changing from a food with grain to a grain-free food like BB can cause a kitten to have diarrhea. It's not unusual for a kitten to have the runs with a dietary change. If you haven't taken her to the vet already now is a good time to do so just to make sure it's not anything else. Good luck to you.

Edited by author Fri Nov 23, '12 3:10pm PST

[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:47pm PST 
To reiterate what the other posters have said. I'd get her to the vet for shots and deworming as soon as possible. Also, if there is an abrupt change in her diet, in particularly kibble, their digestive tract can become upset. If you can find out what she was eating before, you can mix it in with the Blue and gradually reduce it over the course of a couple of weeks in order to get the baby transitioned over to the Blue. If that's not possible, ask the vet what you can give the baby to help with the runny stools until she becomes accustomed to the new food. Congrats on your new furbaby party
[notify]

Xena

Purred: Tue Nov 27, '12 12:31am PST 
I did take her to the vet, she had been sneezing a bit too so i took her to the vet, told them about runny stools, they gave her an anti biotic and a dewormer, so far i have not seen any worms in the stool, they gave me albon to give to her as the anti biotic, been 2 days and still no change yet, they said it can take up to 5 days to see a change, anyways, if anyone has any ideas what i can do please let me know, her stool sample test came back negative they found nothing at all. please let me know ideas smile they vet said if no improovement they will give me science diet a/d or something, please let me know ideas to help her smile
[notify]

Romeo

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:46pm PST 
Did your vet test for Tritrichomonas Foetus?
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:19am PST 
All cats will get diarrhea sometime in their life. Make sure your cat has fresh water available at all times. You can fast the kitten for up to 24 hours to give his body a chance to reset. Then, put your cat on a bland diet, like shredded chicken and chicken liver mixed with some water (to make it soupy). This should eliminate the diarrhea. Cats often develop diarrhea when they eat something they shouldn't. Many cats can be picky eaters, but I have yet to hear a cat complain about a soupy mixture of chicken and chicken liver! Never give a cat, even a kitten, milk. It is very important to keep fresh, clean water available at all times to your cat.
[notify]