GO!

Licks plastic bags. why?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Purred: Mon Nov 5, '12 11:24am PST 
Is this unhealthy? when I come back from the store, she lies on the bags, smells and licks them. What is the fascination?
[notify]

Emma

Purred: Sat Nov 24, '12 7:43pm PST 
hey...this is normal...unless she is chewing peices off and eating them...if she is just laying on the and licking them...its not a big deal...my cat does this...its about the noise the bag makes...the crinkle noise...have you thought about getting her a crinkle mat...my cat has one and she doesnt go after the bags anymore.
hope this helps
[notify]

Pequena- (Sasha's- sister)

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 1:58pm PST 
my cat always licks and sits on plastic bags, and often wrestles with them as well
[notify]

Emma

Purred: Tue Nov 27, '12 6:32pm PST 
Hey
This is normal especially in kittens and my cat is 8 years old and still does it. As long as she is not chewing and swollowing pieces then its not a big deal. Unless she's keeping you up at night doing it. MOL( meow out loud)
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 9:20am PST 
It's Stella. I am a big plastic bag addict, and have been since tiny kittenhood. My favorites are the ones that are kind of crisp, not the limp ones that come from the supermarket. My male person gets me a big one from Barnes and Noble and I play with it until it is in shreds. Apparently they use a kind of sugar to make these and some other chemicals that trip the kitty trigger in the way that catnip does. I am also interested in the smell of Chlorox bleach and that makes me go crazy. There's a doctoral dissertation in there for someone who finds out what it is that we like. Giant purrs to all my bag-loving friends out there! wave
[notify]

Emma

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 6:38pm PST 
Hey
That's cute about the plastic bag thing but not so much on the bleach sniffing. Hope she don't lick the bottle she could die.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Nov 28, '12 8:58pm PST 
It's Stella. We keep the bleach bottle in a cabinet with a lock on it, because I like to get into cabinets and knock everything around. But I am not interested in the bottle, only when it is spilled on fabric or on someone's hands. That drives me nuts! Our person had another cat with this fetish when she was a child, and since they used bleach on all the sheets and towels, the cat would try to sleep on folded laundry and roll around in that. Since this was a highly disciplined household, Mittens was not allowed to do this, or to get on beds, so it was a problem. Plus you had to remember not to pet her after you did the laundry or folded it, or you would get bitten. Otherwise she was a very sweet cat.
[notify]