GO!

FIV+ Care and Advise

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Poppy - ADTD

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 6:48am PST 
Yesterday was spay-day and before the spay, mommy got an FIV/FeLV test done. It came back FIV+. Poor baby is also older than I thought with the vet estimating 2 years old. I have no way of knowing if she's ever had an FIV vaccine because she was the friendliest stray you've ever seen when I found her two weeks ago.

For now, I have to assume that she's FIV+, though I might try to have another SNAP test done in a few months if I don't find an adopter by then. I'm wondering who else here is FIV+ and daily care that helps reduce the chance of complications from the virus. I've seen people mentioning L-Lysine supplementing, but I have yet to see anyone mention the dosage they use. And I know teeth cleaning would be very important. As well as very good food. I'm wanting to put together a simple, comprehensive care sheet for anyone interested in adopting her so that if they aren't good at researching comprehensively, then they'll still have something easy to reference. I've seen some very well meaning adopters who just get too confused by the conflicting info that you find trying to research things like FIV and would like to help give this girl the best chance she can have.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 9:56am PST 
Check out River's story on my website. He's FIV and living life as a normal kitty! big grin
[notify]

River

nom noms?

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:35am PST 
Or... check out the RIVER CAT himself! Hi there!!! HI angel Alex!

I'm FIV positive and have been for at least the 4 years my parents have had me! I'm somewhere between 8 and 10 years old and I likely got FIV when I was attacked on the streets after being abandoned, however, you'd never know. I'm a love bug whose full of energy and life. I'm so full of life and love, my family and even my vet often forget that I'm FIV positive because you'd never know that I was 'sick' to look at me. I even have a super beautiful Siamese sister who I live with and am bonded with. I play with her, wrestle with her, share the same food bowl, water fountains, and litter box, not to mention toys and beds, and she's still FIV Negative!

Definitely check out my story on Alex's webpage, my mommy wrote that about me cause I'm super duper special! After reading it, if you have ANY questions whatsoever, post them here, send me a message, I'm happy to help out. FIV is NOT a killer disease. It can stay dormant for years and many cats never even develop signs of the disease and live long happy lives eventually crossing over the bridge for completely unrelated reasons. It isn't an airborne disease, like so many people fear, and it is really hard to pass between cats. The only way to pass it is through deep fluid transfers (like with HIV in humans) such as a deep bite wound or sexual contact. If you've been fixed and are well behaved, no problem. Heck, we use to foster kitties in this house and none of them ever got my FIV either, it's just that hard.

I promise, FIV is NOT a death sentence and you'll probably never even notice you've got it! Lots of vets are sadly misinformed about the disease so you'll have to make sure you have a good one who understands it, but really, an FIV cat is just like any other cat! I can introduce you to a whole pack of FIVers living normal lives in big families, you'd never be able to pick out the 'sick' one in a family portrait!
[notify]

River

nom noms?

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:38am PST 
That's my standard response to anyone with an FIV question so everyone knows how harmless the disease is! The article on Alex's webage has lots of really good tips and hints for FIV kitty owners, but in the long run, an FIV positive kitty might not require anything special, it's hard to say. It's really a very overblown disease in most cases.
[notify]

Poppy - ADTD

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 11:55am PST 
Thank you for the story! I'll fine tooth over it when I get a chance. I mainly want to make a care sheet to dispell some worries. I've already had someone interested in Poppy's kitten who I had to inform that FIV was not FeLV in any way. I'd have no problem having an FIV kitty, but unfortunately my established female is a Queen B and doesn't tolerate other females in the house. She hates having to tolerate ANYTHING in the house.

I figure a little sheet with things people could do to help their kitty's immune system can't hurt. Even if she turned out to be a false positive or lived with it dormant her whole life, some vitamins, supplements and good dental care can't hurt!
[notify]

Sammy

I'm a wild-man!

Purred: Thu Sep 13, '12 9:08pm PST 
My cat Sammy tested positive to Feline Leuk when he was around 3 yrs old. I was DEVISTATED, but my vet suggested we retest in a month. We retested a month later & the test was negative! 2 yrs later & I had him tested yet again, & this time he tested positive for both feline leuk AND FIV! That was a bad day. My vet decided to test his blood through a high-tech lab out-of-state, & it was a long 2 week wait, but my vet called & said the lab tested his blood twice & both times the tests were negative! My vets not sure why he's tested positive twice on the test strips (the FIV/FeLuK test that's like a pregnancy test) but a high tech machine found him to be negative twice, so I'm going to believe the more accurate test. My vet did say Sammy may have contracted these two diseases as a kitten, but his immune system fought them off. Sammy might just be a carrier. He's 5 yrs old now & besides an unrelated heart condition, he's pretty healthy!
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 5:17am PST 
Hi! Both myself and my brother Smokie boo are FIV+ and my sisfur Prinny is too. With myself, I am more prone to colds and eye stuff.

Get the other test...the snap has many false positives.

Lysine...mom fights with us to get us to take it...we, none of us, like it. Mom wishes they would put it in the food or something.

Welcome to the club! Welcome to Catster!

You'll find that we're, for whatever reason, the most colorful and special cats-not sure why...but FIV+ cats seem to have a dash of wonder to us...

but then,
Don't we all?

love and light,
Ruffy
[notify]