GO!

Gizmo rushed to the vets today...... and they gave me Metacam!!!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Gizmo

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 5:42am PST 
Hello catsters,Gizmos Mummy here,its Sunday 1.30pm here, and ive been up all night!
Last night, Gizmo came through with a limp just as i was getting into bed, we feared the worst and he was in alot of pain,and he screamed and flinched when i went near his leg,he seemed a bit lame and lethargic after a while,i checked him over, found no wounds...nothing.i really thought he had fractured his leg, i couldnt get hold of any vets in the area at that time,i finally managed to get hold of my vet and she drove from her early morning Gym session to the practice to meet me,Yawn,we waited outside for an hour!!!! Gizmo was sedated, examined and x rayed, turns out hes got a small break in his toe...pain relief and rest are prescribed.....she brings out the metacam....and im worried so i ask if there is any other pain relief available, she says not for his size, she re assures me that he will be fine, and i only intend to give him the smallest dose for the shortest amount of time. So we are home now, and its been a LONG night for us both, and i was so stressed and worried about him, hes so small! i lay watching him all night, drinking coffee to stay awake. Gizmo is to stay in his cage and rest, hes still a bit dopey but alot brighter than last night now and is happily chomping on some plain boiled chicken and a nice drink of water after his scary trip to the vets. Do you catsters think it will be safe enough for Gizmo to have pain relief for a couple of days? He weighs 2.4kg. Also any ideas on how to get him to use his litter tray would be helpful as he hasnt been to the toilet snce last night. purrs xxx yawn xxx
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:05am PST 
I wonder why the vet didn't prescibe Buprenex instead? It's a narcotic pain reliver that you can give orally right into the side of the mouth. It will be absorbed that way. It doesn't work well if swallowed. Can you call the vet today and ask for Buprenex?

You may have to pick Gizmo up and put him in the litter box so his toe doen't hurt as he tries to climb in and out. You can put puppy pads in the cage just in case Gimzo has to go and you aren't around to help him to the litter box.
[notify]

Ludo (Angel)

i'll always be- mummy's special- boy.

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 6:43am PST 
I know when my angel cat Ludo had a lot of pain with his spinal problem i was always given metacam, the vet once told me it was pretty much the only thing available here in the uk for pain relief for cats...i must say he never had any side effects from it.
I hope poor Gizmo's paw is better soon
hug
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 8:17am PST 
Hello, yeah, Ludo i think thats the general consensus that its the only option, Gizmo keeps getting brighter and brighter so i dont think he will need to take very many doses at all , he even played with his ''mousy'' in his cage! in fact i can see him having one last dose tommorrow and i will stop it, thats two doses in total, im sure that would be safe enough, but noticed no side effects so far anyways.
Thank you for your advice Merlin, i have phoned before visiting back here to check in and let her know how Gizmo is getting on, she says she Gizmo is definately safe not to worry. Ive managed to lift him into his litter box ...success. empty bowel and bladder, hes now curled up in his cage, happy and purring. thank you very much Ludo and Merlin for your responses, ive got absorbent sheets at the bottom of his cage already but i think he will let me know when its time to go!!! Thank you again guys!!!
[notify]

Ludo (Angel)

i'll always be- mummy's special- boy.

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 12:44pm PST 
I'm so happy Gizmo is feeling better xxx
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '12 8:31pm PST 
Apollo broke his toe when he was older. It happened when he jumped off the basement table and must have landed awkwardly. He shot upstairs like someone was chasing him. When I caught up to him he was walking around, but holding his leg close to his body and not walking on it. This was late at night but he didn't act as if he was in extreme pain, so we went first thing in the morning to the vet. Our vet took x-rays and it showed Apollo's middle toe was broken. Just as in people, there is nothing you can do for a broken toe. But our vet put on a splint and vet wrap (bandage) so Apollo was able to walk on his leg. The splint was longer than his leg so his foot was immobile while he walked on the splint. He had to wear the splint for 6 weeks. I had to have it changed about 4 or 5 times because since there was no way to tape it to his body because of his fur, the bandage would gradually slide down his leg, making his leg longer than the other 3 legs. When the splint finally came off, Apollo walked OK and never had any problem.

I can't remember if our vet gave me medication for Apollo. As I said, Apollo was older, so he wasn't bouncing around like a kitten would.

You can see Apollo's splint on his page -- the 20th picture.

Edited by author Sun Sep 9, '12 8:33pm PST

Gizmo

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 10:28am PST 
Aww I Loved all Apollos photos!! Especially the one where hes hiding in the foliage! Hes got that...oh no they found me look on his face.Sorry for his passing.
An update on Gizzy....
Well, as i type ,Gizmo is running about chasing his mousy ....like a blur of flying fur! He only had two doses of metacam in the end as, on day 2 he improved dramatically and was back to his old self, Hope you are all well!!

Edited by author Tue Sep 11, '12 10:33am PST

[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '12 7:14pm PST 
Awwww... So glad to hear Gizmo is better! The medication is one of the few that are around for what you described. I've never had a broken toe by my sister did and my daddy carried her around for a couple of days. She was bad too. Didn't want to be carried. Glad all is well with you Gizmo!hamster dance
[notify]