GO!

Cat up a tree, HELP!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Dijon

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '12 4:39pm PST 
Okay, I am not a newbie, I have managed a cat rescue for years and years and currently own a boarding kennel, and I admit, I have never seen a cat skeleton in a tree, BUT... last night Dijon, about 9 months old, escaped from my house and vanished into thin air. He is a very nervous, scardy cat anyway, and has never been outside.
Well, about noon we discovered him, 30 feet up in a tree. I have tried all the obvious, including attaching a catch pole to a long pole and trying to snag him, trying to climb the tree (impossible), and trying to lure him down with one of my other cats.
NOTHING is working, he has now gone even higher to about 50 feet and is just frozen up there, meowing and meowing.
Any ideas??? Fire department is a no (insurance purposes) we don't have a hose that will reach to where he is to spray water over him (which DOES work!) and our longest pole is only 30 feet. Our longest ladder is only 12 feet so we are STUCK!
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '12 8:18pm PST 
Maybe a tree cutting service? They might have a bucket lift that would go that high....
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '12 11:47pm PST 
That's a good idea, Macy! way to go

Have you already tried tempting him down with treats, or by standing under the tree and opening a can of tuna?

Sending purrs for little Dijon! Please keep us posted! hug

Dijon

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 6:49am PST 
Most tree workers, including utility, cannot help due to insurance reasons. Private ones are way, way too expensive, sadly.
He is not in reach if any professional tree climber could climb the tree, he is in the small branches way at the top.
We are supposed to have rain storms today...hopefully those will convince him to back down!!!!
Meanwhile, he sits up there, meowing at us.
[notify]

Ashlynne

Silly girl

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 11:58am PST 
Call the TV stations and newspapers for publicity? Maybe that would help persuade some of the private tree companies to donate their services or persuade some kind citizen or group to pay the fee. And have you tried begging the private companies to do it for free or for a small fee?
[notify]

Dijon

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 7:29pm PST 
We ended up sawing down the tree ourselves as he was getting very weak and was still at the very top, sixty feet up. As planned, the tree fell in slow motion, but he jumped up, scaled the eight foot high fence and headed into nearby woods.
I know he was okay so I put food and water out, left his best buddy down there, too, and hope he will come back to the house tonight. Although he is an inside cat, he does know the sounds of the dogs and he LOVES Smokey, his buddy so hopefully he will be home soon.
Tough call...I was soooo worried he would get injured during the fall but we all, including the vet that was present, agreed that he was not coming down and was getting in serious trouble up there.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '12 9:15pm PST 
I was just going to post to keep us posted on what was going on....glad to hear he is down and will be gladder yet when he comes home. Purrs to his speedy homecoming.hug
[notify]

Dijon

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 4:52am PST 
I went out at daybreak and called him, then left the door cracked open. About five minutes later I had a very, very HAPPY kitty rolling all around my bed!!!!!!
He is skinny, but otherwise totally unhurt and unharmed.
Thanks for all your help!!!!
[notify]

Batfink

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 6:24am PST 
Glad to read Dijon is okay!!!
Ive watched a similar situation the owner sat at the bottom of the tree for about two days waiting and eventually kitty pawwed his own way down hahah crazy cats.

Hope you are well. purrs x
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '12 9:12am PST 
Oh, what an ordeal! relieved So glad he made it back home. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do...like cutting that tree down.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2