GO!

My cat is still throwing up. Please help me I dont know what to do. Please help me.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Spike

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 6:46pm PST 
My cat Spike (8 years) has been throwing up since Saturday Morning. (he has thrown up since then on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and today Friday) So everyday but Wednesday. I took him to the vet Monday they did blood work and a stool sample. Everything came out fine. So I switched his food to Royal Canin Special 33 for sensitive stomach. I did this yesterday and I also received medicine from the vet Metronidazole and cat lax for hairballs. He throws up about 10 hours after eating and I can still see most of his food in his puke. I don’t know what else to do. He acts normal and everything but I dont know why he is throwing up so much I only feed him a tiny scoop of food 2x a day and yes he eats fast but I split up his portions. Can someone please give me some advice on what I should do? I’m really worried Spike means everything to me.
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 8:58pm PST 
Bea developed a problem like that after her last vaccinations, but, in her case, the metronidazole really helped. thinking

How are his bowel movements? Does he have firm stools or diarrhea? When Bea was sick, her stools went from firm to diarrhea and then to just fluid. The vet did x-rays to make sure there was no blockage in her intestines, but they were clear.

Have you talked to your vet since the visit? They might be able to prescribe an anti-nausea medicine like Cerenia.

Sending purrs for sweet Spike! Feel better soon! hug

Deliah (In- Loving- Memory)

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '12 11:16pm PST 
If I were you, I would call my vet asap to let him/her know the vomiting is still happening & see what advice they might be able to give you. Obviously something is wrong. Sometimes a cat can have an issue that blood tests & stool samples don't detect. I've dealt with false positive AND false negative tests run on my cats over the years. How is your cat drinking? It's important to note how much water they are intaking each day & how often they are urinating & deficating, as well as whether they have diarhea, or very dark stools (which could indicate blood in the stool). All that info can help your vet come up with the right diagnosis. Your kitty could have a blockage somewhere in his digestive tract. It could be so many things. If your cat is not getting better, further testing is needed. Sorry if my post sounds scary...I just want to give you the best advice I can in order for you to figure this out. One more question: is your cat on dry food or wet? If he's on dry, I'd recommend trying him on wet right now as it is easier to digest. Also, I'd recommend feeding him smaller meals multiple times a day, instead of only two meals a day. Try maybe 4 or 5 feedings a day. Oh...and I just thought of this...has anything changed recently in your cats environment? Any new pets or maybe a higher number of visitors recently? Cats are easily stressed, so that's something to consider. Good luck with your kitty. I hope you can figure out whats wrong asap.
[notify]

Spike

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 4:41am PST 
I believe he is drinking normally, I am gone most the day at work. I feed him wet food (wellness) So now I am trying the dry food for sensitive stomachs Royal Canin. Going to watch over the next couple days he appears normally in everything else. (stools, urinating, eating)Also I'm going to see if the vet's medicine he prescribed Spike helps at all. I was also told I could use some pepto bismol. I really tho hope its not anything too serious. I love my baby kitty Would you maybe think he has a kitty flu?
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 12:02pm PST 
I am not sure about pepto bismol - check with your vet on that, but you can for sure give them a 1/4 of a regular not extra strength pepcid. Perhaps he is developing an allergy to an ingredient in the food - I would call the vet to let them know what is still going on. There could be several causes. Just op be safe. I hope he feels better. We send purrs
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 4:23pm PST 
I have heard pepto is a no-no for cats! It contains asprin, which can be toxic in cats. You CAN give dogs Pepto, but I don't think it would be good for a cat. It would probably make your cat vomit more, because asprin is very hard on a cats stomach.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 4:31pm PST 
If he had some sort of flu, I'd expect he'd have other symptoms, like runny eyes, nose, sneezing, coughing. Vomiting alone doesn't sound like a flu. jmo

Also, did your vet check for a fever? That's important as it would indicate some sort of infection is in the body. Feel his ears often to see if he feels warm. (I know that's not the most accurate way to check if a cat has a temp, but whenever my cats have a temp their ears almost always seem to be very warm)

Have you called your vet and told him/her that your kitty is still vomiting??? My vet has no problem with me calling and asking him questions after I bring one of my pets in. Maybe other vets are not so nice, but I'd call your vet anyway and see if he/she would give you a phone consult. Your vet will probably ask you to bring your kitty back in for more tests, but if you don't have the money to, your vet may give you some suggestions over the phone as to what you can do to solve this problem.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 4:55pm PST 
It could be so many things. The sudden vomiting is what makes me thing a vet visit is in order. If he had done it periodically for a long time it may be nothing but for sure a talk with the vet might be your best option. Hopefully this will end soon. I would not give any OTC medications until speaking with the vet. Sending positive vibes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
[notify]

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 6:13pm PST 
I also had a thought about the fact you switched him from wet food to dry. Did your vet reccomend the switch? If so, I'm surprised. Number one, switching food suddenly can cause vomiting in a healthy cat. Because your cat was vomiting before the switch, I can imagine the switch would make the vomiting worse. When you switch a cat to a new food, you're supposed to do it gradually, giving them like 3/4ths of their old food mixed with 1/4th their new food for several days to a week, then 50/50 for a week & so on, till they are completely weaned from the old food. And switching a cat to dry food when they are used to wet can cause vomiting b/c dry food is harder to digest. Cats have very sensitive stomaches & it's best to introduce new food very slowly so they have time to get used to it. Isn't there a wet food for sensitive stomachs that you could try? If so, I'd still do the mixing with his old wet food till he's used to the new. Anyway, hope you can figure out what is wrong with your kitty asap. Please keep us posted.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '12 6:43pm PST 
Please please please call the vet as he can develop fatty liver from not having enough calories and food in his stomach!! this is vitally important to do ASAP and can be life threatening. He needs a medication called Reglan or Cerenia to stop the vomiting NOW. And NO NO NO NO on the pepto bismol. People stuff is not meant for kitties. It's dangerous! Please call the vet, I cannot tell you how important this is!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2