GO!

My beloved cat is lost

Whether a cat dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 7:03am PST 
Hi everyone on Catster

My cat Max somehow managed to get out of my apartment. I have no idea how but he's lost. I'm putting up flyers everywhere in my neighborhood and I've made small flyers/sweeps to hand out to my neighbors while I go canvassing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I should do to try and find him? I'm so sad, but what's worse is that he's probably sad too...and scared.
[notify]

Alexander,- Dreamboat- #110

I am really a- lap dog in- disguise.

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 11:09am PST 
My neighbor's daughter's friend just lost her cat. She is going where she lost him every late afternoon and early evening to find him. I would look around dinner time when you feed him. Post pictures around the neighborhood, call the local rescue, contact any vet in the area with a description of your cat, and check areas where they may be food out. This person who lost her cat did spot him the other night and he was within five feet of her. If she had brought something to catch him with, he would be home. Get other people involved in your search. Let everyone know in your place about him. He may not be far as they panic when they are scared. My Ben got out once but I was lucky. It was raining and he didn't move from our front door. He never left again. They do have GPS devices that you can place on your cat. If you find your cat, you may want to consider it. I hope that he was microchipped. Mine are.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 9:54pm PST 
This is Delyte. I am coming up on the 7 year anniversary of my famous flight from the deck of our house. We live on the edge of a big wooded field and I ran off into the woods. My person sat in the yard the whole night and I did show up at dawn the first morning, but she was unable to get me to go back in the house and I ran back in the woods. They put up a humane trap for me but all they ever caught were huge raccoons and possums. My person would go out every night around 11 PM, when it was quiet and call me, but she had no luck. On the 6th night she went out really late, around 2 AM, and saw me, but I ran away again. There was a large possum lurking around which scared me. She was about to go out to look for me on the 7th night, about 10 PM, when she heard a noise on the deck. When she went out, I was there but ran off again. This time she got a can of cat food and carried it outside with her. I was so hungry that the scent of that yummy food lured me in through the door. I've never been allowed to go outside again without a leash, which I hate.

It's unlikely that a stranger will be able to catch your cat, but if they can report on seeing him, it will help. Carry nice smelly cat food cans with you on your searches. If you live in a populated area, the humane trap won't help--you'll just catch other animals. Just keep trying and don't give up hope. There are many stories on here of cats coming back from much longer absences. In my case, it helped that I had been living here all my life, and had been allowed outside under supervision before, so I "knew" where I lived, I was just too scared to come back. You may not know this if you have lived inside all the time. Some people suggest putting clothing with your scent, and toys that you have used outside to show you the way home.

Make sure to keep in contact with any shelters or animal control, who might trap your cat and bring him in. Make sure they know that a cat with your description is missing.

We are purring for you to come home!
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:42am PST 
I spotted my cat in my neighbors back yard last night! But when I went over there to get him he ran into the next yard over and so on and so forth for hours. Finally it was really late at night and I had to call it quits. I'm going to try again today but does anyone have any suggestions of how I can approach him without him running away?
[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 8:39am PST 
try putting down some food, maybe calling your local shelter or vet and get a humane trap if your kitty keeps running from you.

purrs
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 10:49am PST 
This is Delyte. Is someone feeding him? If he is getting food, and the weather is good, you are going to have a problem. If he has no access to food, the humane trap and the cat food might work, if it's okay with your neighbors. From Max's point of view, he is not a terrified runaway, like I was, but a kitty on vacation. smile But if there is no food, and he can see that you have food, then he will get hungry eventually. Giant purrs for you!
[notify]

Max

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:28pm PST 
Hey thank you so much to everyone who has replied to this post. I went out looking for Max today and tonight but I didn't have any luck finding him. A group of kids on my block said they saw him down a couple of blocks from where I live so my friends and I will be putting up more flyers tomorrow and handing out small flyers door to door and leaving them ajar in people's mail slots. I've never really interacted with my neighbors before but everyone has been really nice and I rallied all the kids today to really keep an eye out. They seemed very enthusiastic about finding Max. It's just a good feeling to have this support. I really hope we find him soon.
[notify]

Mr D - D'boat #19

Yikes!

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 5:19am PST 
Hi, I invited you to a group called the purrs and woofs for the missing. There’s a lot of tips and tricks there in the threads and in the links on the front page. I agree with the others to put food down. Don't rush at Max either because he'll be in flight (survival) mode. He'll probably run from his favourite person so don't take it personally. I also used to go out at night at 4 am and Call for D when he was missing. I found my voice would travel a lot better then. You are lucky to know where he is. We are purring you have him soon.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 8:57am PST 
Talk to everyone, including the pet stores nearby if there are any, and vets offices. Put in a lost pet report with your local animal society. Don't give up! We are purring for you!
[notify]

Max

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 10:47am PST 
I've been getting many phone calls today about people spotting Max. My neighbors are really involved in trying to find him. I rallied all of the kids in the neighborhood too. I'm going to try to leave a trail of tuna leading to my porch to try to get Max to return to my back door. I know he's having the time of his life but it's seriously time for him to come home.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2