GO!

Nursing the teddy bear...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Raider- Shannon

I fight ninjas- no one else can- see

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 9:58am PST 
New kitten here. This little lady has been with us two weeks and I've noticed she nurses my teddy every time she sees it. Other than that habit she is totally out going and normal. But the teddy I have to keep hidden because she will knead and nurse it until I take it away.

The only time I've experienced this with a cat before was with a little four-day old abandoned kitten a few years ago, and as far as I know with his new family he still finds surfaces to nurse occasionally. Because I don't know the history of Raider earlier than two weeks ago, I'm not sure if this is a sign of her being taken from her mother too early or what. Should I stop her from doing this? Or should I just let her. Does anyone else's cats do this?
[notify]

Spook

Call me Mr.- Spookitty

Purred: Thu Jul 19, '12 6:34pm PST 
I found 5 small kittens on the side of the road. I found homes for 2. Spook and Rocky his brother have a fuzzy blanket that they LOVE to nurse on. They are close to a year old and still do it sometimes. I don't think it has caused them any harm. I have tried to hide the blanket but the will search for it.
[notify]

Gizmo

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 11:38am PST 
Its not always a bad sign that kitty is padding on your bear! We derive comfort from warm duvets cosy pyjamas, baths etc, i think some cats like to get comfort from padding in this way, its natural, and unless your kitten is displaying any other behaviours that could be outward anxiety,i wouldnt worry! Our newest friend Gizmo is three months old, was weaned at a good age and is a happy healthy cat and he pads on my dressing gown,when hes purring and relaxed sometimes he pads on my face when im trying to sleep, hes usually in a happy state and then he will fall asleep.
If you dont want kitty to use bear (if your worried hes nursing it compulsively just keep it out of sight)try a furry blanket or jumper??

All the best
xxx
[notify]

Raider- Shannon

I fight ninjas- no one else can- see

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 1:52pm PST 
Thank you kitties! She doesn't seem to do it too much so I won't worry about it.
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '12 3:29pm PST 
Man, I wish you lived closer. My bf died 2 yrs ago, he was a die hard Oakland Raider fan! I still have all his Oakland Raider stuff, been holding on to it, was hoping to find an Oakland fan, to give the stuff to.

Smokey does this. She was dropped off at my barn, vet said she was about 12 weeks old. I collect teddy bears, all over the house, all over the bed, yes, I sleep with the bears, don't really care, who thinks this is weird, mol.

She sucks on all the bears, goes to each and every one, on the bed, and kneeds the bears too. She is 7 yrs old, and has done it from day one. She likes doing it, it does not cause her any harm. If she is happy doing it, I just let her do it. She only does it at night, when I am in bed.

I don't know where she came from, but she was well fed and well groomed, she is LH, so somebody took good care of her, and I don't think she was taken from her mother too early. I think, some one needed to find her a home in a hurry, and knew I would take good care of her. I have that reputation, on my road, of being overly pickey about my horses and cats, like, beyond.

The kittens will kneed the blankeys on the bed, but they don;t suck on the bears or the blankeys, they never did, and I brought them home at 8 weeks old.

Dallas Cowboy fan, like real die hard, Oakland needs some serious help on defense, how many big leads have they have, mol, and drafting Ja Marcus Rule, was a huge bust, as I call him. But, every time, Oakland plays Dallas, Oakland kicks our bee-hinds, mol.

Training camps start soon, can't wait, Dallas gotta play the G-Men, in Met Life, on a Wed night, opening game of the season. Dallas, does not, do well, playing at night. MOL

p.s. guess why my name is Cowboy?
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '12 12:27pm PST 
Coop nurses on his paw pad -- hence his forums motto, "I still suck my thumb." (It really does look like a baby sucking his thumb -- his little cheeks even move and he makes suckling sounds when he does this.) He started doing it about a week after I brought him home. But only the right paw. And he only does it if he's sitting right next to me while I pet him.

I was actually worried that he'd hurt his paw when he first started doing it. Kittens can manage to get into anything! But I checked it for cuts or abrasions. I even asked our vet to look at the paw. He said, "Nope -- he's just nursing! He thinks you're his momma now!"

Purrs,
Coop's Mom
[notify]

Pieces

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '12 7:04am PST 
We have two kitties that enjoy nursing and two others that will knead like crazy when they are getting love. Of the two that nurse- one is almost 5 and the other is somewhere between 3 and 5 years. Five year old has limited access since he will only nurse when I am sitting with him (so awkward) and the other will nurse whenever she sees anything fleece but has a strong preference for our bathrobes.
[notify]