GO!

Loving cat turning mean!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Jase

Blue-Eyed Savior- of Hearts

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:10am PST 
I've had Jase since he was 7 weeks old. For the first full year, he was the sweetest, most loving cat. He would refuse to be apart from me, and he would fall asleep in my lap, purring and kneading me. He used to nuzzle my neck, sleep on my pillow, and otherwise be the single most loving animal I've ever had.

Now, though... he's changed, somehow, over the last few months. He still tries to be in the same room as me, but he doesn't approach me for affection; he generally just lies a foot or so away. He never sleeps with me anymore. He'll jump up on my desk a lot, and usually he'll allow me to pet him for a few moments, but then he'll start to kick and bite me! He immediately follows it with licks, as though he knows he's out of line... but he seems irritable and unaffectionate.

This comes pretty close on the heels of him winning an extra rung on the "kitty ladder" in our house. All 4 cats we have are fixed, and they all get along... but he's finally the second biggest in the house, so one of our two females, who used to be second in command, now rolls over for him and accepts his "supremacy nips".

Nothing else has changed. He's still eating, drinking, excreting, and sleeping the same amounts as before.

Can someone please help me figure out what's wrong? I want my loving kitty back! cry
[notify]

CK Angel- Ryder- Knowles

I'm a Carolina- Kitten in New- York!

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '12 9:14pm PST 
Hey, this sounds like a phase. I call it the 'teen punk bad boy' phase. CK used to be loving. Now he allows it for a bit, in the morning or late evening. But the rest of the time, he's playful, fiesty, bothering the others, and being dominant. He just turned a year.

Be with him on his terms, but when he gets too rough, a stern NO should do the trick. If I yell OW CK stops whatever he's doing that hurts me. He doesn't mean too, and I would bet your boy doesn't either...he's just playing and establishing himself, cat style.

Just be so grateful he's healthy and well.
[notify]

Jase

Blue-Eyed Savior- of Hearts

Purred: Tue Jul 3, '12 6:04pm PST 
You know, almost as if he knew I was writing this, he turned back into his old self the very next day, after months of acting weird. He's still fighting for dominance -- he's moved up to battle our Maine Coon, the heavyweight head of the household! -- but he's coming to me again for attention, and he's once more sleeping with me at night.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!
[notify]

Candy

Candy the cooner- and super star.

Purred: Tue Jul 3, '12 7:56pm PST 
That is strange, I hope everything is great now.kitty
[notify]