GO!

Pet Parents are NOT Moms

This Forum is to meow about the very latest and greatest in the cat world: kitty news; must-have new products, toys and accessories; cat-friendly art, culture, and entertainment, and more!

Please be aware that while you are allowed to inform others about your product or service if it is in context and is part of an existing discussion, we do not allow unsolicited advertising in the forums. We will remove all posts that seem to be selling rather than informing. If you're interested in advertising on Catster, please contact us.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hambone

SF Hammer

Purred: Tue May 8, '12 2:26pm PST 
Read Dorian's response to Susan Maushart's article in the Huffington Post!

And then let us here from you in the comments; are you your cat's mom?

kittyflowers

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed May 9, '12 4:35am PST 
I really don't think of myself has Hunters mom, although my friends and family do. They call him my "white fluffy son". Maybe I'm more like a GodMother, or Adopted Mother, Step mom?? I do everything a real mother does. My sister has two kids. She feeds, washes, plays, prepare meals, cleans up after them, brings them to the doctor, buys things for them. I do the same for Hunter. I feed, clean, play with, prepare meals for, and bring him to the vet, oh and I also buy things for him. Okay so I didn't give birth to him. I still had him when he was a baby, 2 months old. He is now almost 2 1/2 and thriving.

Yes, cats and humans are completely different. But think about it, a mother who adopted a baby is still a mother, right? I adopted a cat who needs to be taken care of. He is far too whiny to take care of himself.

Hunter, i'm assuming, will forever have that 2 year old whiny toddler mentality. He is like a kid that'll never grow up!

So in short, I guess I am his mother, and he is my boy. My white fluffy son. cat on moon
[notify]

Mouse- ♥

The one and- only.

Purred: Thu May 10, '12 12:14pm PST 
Yep. I am definitely mum to my eleven, and I will argue with anyone that says otherwise. laugh out loud
[notify]

Merlin Sage

Purred: Fri May 11, '12 11:24am PST 
Of course Humans can be Mom's to pets. Everyone animal in nature knows that. Dorian was right on!!
[notify]

Mr. Sam - Angel- Dreamboat#15

Mommy's best- friend forever.

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 5:11am PST 
I am mom to one human and 7 kitties - of course most of us are our kitties moms!
[notify]

Stinkers Finn Franscis

Singing No- Worries, About a- thing!

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 6:49am PST 
I thought that article that Dorian wroth was simply lovely. Everything, she had stated is very true. We care for each of our animals, we ponder over which food to feed, what vet to take them too, worry if the sneeze for cripes sake. An its not only cats either, that this goes along with, its every animal that is in our home.

I have a dog, 2 cats, and mouse...and we're adopting a guinea pig, which we're bring home this weekend hopefully. Although, the guinea pig is not here yet, but the animals that are currently with me..I view them as my fur-kids, yes even Stewart my mouse. They are the most important thing to me, and my fiance of-course.
[notify]

Coopurr

I still suck my- thumb...

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 6:21pm PST 
What I liked is that she said, "I CHOSE to be a cat mom."

I did that at 21. I'm almost 40. I've been so fortunate to mother two fur-sons -- Felix, now Coopurr. I'm not good with two-legged children. I know that. And I know they'd make my life miserable. And I know they'd end up on some shrink's couch, complaining about me.

I did this conscientiously. But it didn't take much thought. I always had that mothering "instinct" when it's come down to my cats. And both of them have been extraordinarily happy. I have put their needs before my own. I've nursed them when they were sick. Cleaned up vomit and various other excretions. I've comforted them when they were frightened. Laughed at their follies. Played with them...and played with them. Taken the time to train them. And I've made sure that they've had better lives than before they were carried through my front door.

Go right ahead...tell me I'm NOT a mother. Just try...

Purrs,
Coop's MOM
[notify]

Aedan

I'm wondering- where the Lions- are...

Purred: Fri May 25, '12 4:27am PST 
Some pet parents are not moms... they're DADS!!! big laugh
[notify]

Mr. Sam - Angel- Dreamboat#15

Mommy's best- friend forever.

Purred: Fri May 25, '12 4:42am PST 
so true Aedan!big laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Fri May 25, '12 10:50am PST 
Nope, I don't concider my self a Mom and have tried my hardest to stay away from that large a responsibility.

I do concider my self a caregiver and gaurdian, and a really good one at that.

I try really hard to not anthropomorphize, I do beleive that animals have emotions but I do not beleive that they should be compared to humans.

Though sometimes it is simpler to express how we feel about our animls and how we imagine they feel in human terms. To do this is normal and human.

not looking for controversy just putting in my 2 cents worth.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2