GO!

How to educate parents about declawing

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Kessie

Ooh where are we- going now?

Purred: Sat Apr 21, '12 8:48am PST 
Hi,
I am unfortuantely a declawed cat. My mama got me when she was 12. (I was not her first cat)... All she knew was I was going to be spayed - I came back declawed and limping. She was appropriately horrified and asked her parents why repeatedly. All they cared about was their furniture. But I never scratched any of it... even as a baby. I still limp nearly 12 years later.
Both old lady cats living with my parents are declawed. I did not want this done to either cat. But as a child I was not consulted. Our first cat (an indoor/outdoor) was NOT declawed and there were NEVER any problems. So I still do not understand why my parents did it. Other than to assume the vet offered it as a "burger and fries" style combo with the spays.
There has been talk of kittens lately.
Due to unfortunate circumstances I was forced to return to my parents house.
Is there any way to nicely inform my parents that any future cat will NOT be declawed? Or win them over? I tried educating my mom a few years back and she just got mad and yelled at me for accusing her of doing something cruel to the cats and then claimed they were both fine.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Thu Apr 26, '12 2:58pm PST 
Do your parents understand what declawing really is? Maybe they don't know that it's not simply removing the claws, it's amputating the toes up to the first joint and it's very painful. It changes the way a cat walks and can cause sore ligaments and arthritis. The pain can also make a cat avoid the litter box because it hurts to scratch after the surgery. Declawed cats may turn into biters, since they don't have their primary defense anymore. Here's a link to a very comprehensive discussion of declawing: Declawing: What you need to know
[notify]

Munchkin

Always up to- some kind of- mischief...

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 9:36pm PST 
Show them what declawing really is. I wanted to get my first cat declawed until I was shown what it really was. I was HORRIFIED. Some vets will claim their technique is safer and painless (lol), but don't be fooled. They're just trying to get your money. Tell them about the complications, like permanent limping, infection... If that's not enough for them, then, they're truly heartless.

Munchkin has never ever destroyed our furniture. Our vet strongly recommended against declawing since she has a tendency to bite, so it would only make it worse. Declawing is, IMO, a selfish procedure that only benefits the owner.

Edited by author Mon Apr 30, '12 9:37pm PST

[notify]

Tia

Tia the- Terrific!

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 1:11am PST 
I find it interesting that, when people find out I have a cat, the first question asked is: is it declawed? Then when I answer "no" I get: But doesn't it tear up your furniture? No. Occasionally Tia goes a little crazy and might start but it's easily corrected.

I agree...people just don't understand what it is to have your cat declawed. Good luck talking to your parents about it!
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 6:47am PST 
my childhood pet was declawed because that was just standard back in the early 90's. My parents did it because they didnt really know it harms the cat. Vets still tell people that its painless and wont harm the cat because they want to make money. You would be surprised how many people dont know how a declaw is performed and the crippling effects it can have. My childhood cat turned into a biter and a house soiler because of it. My parents never had another cat declawed again. They have 3 cats who never ever scratch the couch and use there post.

if explaining that the surgery is painfull to the cat and involves amputation of the toes dosnt sway them not to, you could also point out it could change the cat. Cats without claws could turn into biters or pee in the house. Not allways but it happens.

I would also strongly suggest (if you dont allready) a large, sturdy post wrapped in sisal rope or carpet (or both!) for your cat. We made ours with some wood and rope, and its lasted over 5 years. good luck!
[notify]

cookie

the brillant- white light

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 6:50am PST 
i forgot to add, that telling here in a non judgmental way that you relize she didnt know it was bad and that you know that the cats are "fine" now. but that it still could go very wrong.

Cookie was declawed and she turned into a biter. she also started peeing all over the house after she was declawed. My parents ended up throwing her outside because she destroyed the house with pee. I had no say at the time because i was a kid.
[notify]

Alexis

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 4:02pm PST 
grandma found horrors about declawing through reading a magazine atricle and now she wont declaw cat. so show them a few atricles about it.

Edited by author Sat May 5, '12 4:05pm PST

[notify]