GO!

Some new kitten questions

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Aspen

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 6:35pm PST 
I just adopted a little kitten yesterday and its the first time that I've had a kitten since I was 9, so I'm kind of new to this. He was brought to the vet that I work at as a feral kitten that was trapped and brought to be fixed, so I'm just able to guess at his age and stuff. He doesn't seem too feral because he absolutely loves people and loves to be petted, but he's really skittish about noises and the new house and everything - and he absolutely hates the dogs. I've never seen such a little firecracker of a kitten! Generally, how long have your kittens taken to adapt? Poor little guy is so nervous that he's not wanting to eat or drink anything, but he's not acting lethargic or sickly or anything, so I'm not too concerned, especially since he was neutered yesterday. He's had a ton of changes to adapt to in the past few days, so I can't blame him. I am giving him water/broth with a syringe to make sure he has fluids. Any other advice for a newbie owner?? And does anyone have a breed guess with him?
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 1:50pm PST 
Welcome to the wonderful world of having a kitten! Congratulations! smile So far it sounds like you are doing a good job. Since everything is so new to him, if you can, I'd suggest putting him alone in a room with food, water, litter box, toys, bed, etc, and visit him often to pet him and spend time with him. This will let him get used to the sights, sounds, and smells of his new environment without all the stress of having to deal with dogs. Everything is scary now because nothing is familiar, and on top of that he may be sore from being neutered. If you need any help or advice we're all a friendly bunch around here. smile Friend request is on the way!
[notify]

Aspen

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 2:17pm PST 
Thanks Kosuteh! He's currently confined in my bedroom alone, and in the cat carrier. He only comes out of the carrier if someone is sitting with him. After his initial spazzing out, I thought it would be best to isolate him. He's met our other cats and wants to be friends, but they aren't so thrilled. I gave him some litter and he just gave me his best "Wtf is that?" look, so I guess he hasn't been around litter before. I offered him some toys and he doesn't seem to know how to play either. He just wants to be petted all the time cloud 9 He finally started eating today and doesn't really know what to do with canned food unless I kinda chop it up and add a bunch of water. He's not in really bad shape for having been a stray, but then again, he definitely was never spoiled. I'm shopping for cat trees on Amazon right now way to go
[notify]

~Caspurr- SnowBerry~- missing an

No one needs- that many toes,- Purrcy.

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 5:39pm PST 
As far as breeding goes, he looks to have some Siamese in him..kind of has a lynk point look to him - so he is a moggy with an Oriental background. Very cute!
Good luck with him, I think you have a keepurr there!!
[notify]

Kosuteh

Purred: Tue Jan 31, '12 2:57pm PST 
Isolating him until he gets used to everything is best. He may not be up to playing just yet. I know I absolutely LOVE my laser beam toy. You may be able to get him to chase something like that around. I'm glad he's been eating!

Did he get used to the litter box yet?
[notify]

Aspen

Purred: Wed Feb 1, '12 1:34pm PST 
He's still isolated, but definitely more comfortable around the rooms he's allowed in. He'll even come out of the cat carrier on his own. He's starting to play some too, but he doesn't like quick movements or anything. Still terrified of the dogs though, but I assume he'll take a little while to get used to that. And now he's eating and pooping! Finally laugh out loud Now that he's finally using the litterbox okay, I'm going to give him a dewormer tonight. I plan on letting him mingle with the other cats in the next few days. And of course, I'll have to take him back to work with me in the next few weeks because everyone misses him. Shots too, but that isn't nearly as fun...
[notify]

Kosuteh

Purred: Wed Feb 1, '12 6:47pm PST 
You might try rubbing a towel on your other animals, one at a time, and putting it in the kitten's room. That will help the kitten get used to their scents. Do the same for the other animals as well. That will make the transition a bit easier.
[notify]

Jane, Lydia- & Mary- Bennett

Purred: Thu Feb 2, '12 10:41am PST 
Welcome to your furrevery home, little Aspen. I see Kosuteh gave the "towel suggestion" - this works wonders to help new pets adjust to the other furry family members.

Bless you for taking this little guy in. We LOVE happy endings, and we are going to visit his page, leave him a present and a Friends Request.

The New Orleans Kittieswavecheerdancinghappy dancewelcome
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 8:12am PST 
Hi Aspen,

My name is Zippy (for now) and I come from about the same situation as you and about the same age. My folks rescue just about anything that needs help and that was me ! They found me on our road shivering and of course it was a Friday night so I had to stay at the Vet's until Monday for exam, leuk test, shots, worming and yuck ! neuter. I made it and all the people at my Vet's said I was a pistol ? Anyway, there are 3 other ferals that live here, 2 M and 1 F. I took to the litter box right away but those big cats were really scary. Gotta go for now, write me back when you can. Your new bestest friend, Zippy
[notify]

Brooks

Purred: Sat Feb 4, '12 9:23am PST 
congrats Aspen! What a pretty kitty!!!
[notify]