GO!

Whats the best brand of dry cat food?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Tigger

What!? You mean- I'm NOT a dog!?

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:05am PST 
Hey guys, I used to feed my kitties Nutro Natural and then after the recall (that scared the hell out of me) I switched to Blue Buffalo. I have one very hyper active 2 yr old maniac cat and then a 4 year old DSH that was recently diagnosed with FIV and heart disease as he was a stray before I found him. I love them to pieces and want to make sure what Im feeding them is the ULTIMATE best for their health and longevity. Thanks in advance.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 5:29am PST 
I know you asked for the best dry food but you also asked for the ultimate best food, and the answer to that is raw or canned. Dry food causes so many health problems for cats. If you haven't seen this site already you may want to check it out. It's written by a vet and has some really good advice: catinfo.org

Sorry I didn't answer the question, but in my opinion there IS no good dry food.
[notify]

Wallace - My Little- Angel

The A-durable- Wallace

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 12:25pm PST 
I agree with the above answer. Dry food is never the best choice. Cats are different; they get the majority of their hydration from the wet food they consume. I realize if you are living on a budget like me, it's not always feasible to feed them wet canned food for every meal so here is what I do (I try my best):
My two cats get one can a day of their favorite wet food. In this case, it is Avoderm. It has no by-products and the first 5 or 6 ingredients listed is regular meat like "chicken" or "turkey". When you see by-products or if the ingredients list looks like a science experiment, it's not the best choice.
Anyway, they get one can of that a day (I usually break it up into one half twice a day) and for the rest of the day, they get dry food to snack on. Again, a top grade can be pricey but avoid kibble that lists by-products OR corn. Corn is hard for PEOPLE to digest, let alone cats who do not require high amounts of fruits and veggies. Reading the labels is really the best way to go and it'll help you narrow down your search. I hope this helped, but obviously if you can afford it, a good quality canned food OR the raw diet is the best way to go and will keep your cat healthy for the long run.
Hope this helped! big grin
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 8:30pm PST 
The absolute best dry food in my opinion would be Orijen or Acana. The Merrick Before Grain dry food is pretty decent as well.

However, as others have said, dry food is not optimal for cats. If you are unable to feed canned food for whatever reason, might I suggest that you mix some (meat only, no onion or garlic) babyfood with plenty of water and feed it after each meal to keep your kitty flushed out and hopefully avoid the kidney and urinary tract issues that dry food can cause?
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 7:43am PST 
Although I agree that wet or raw is the way to go, these are what I feel are the best in terms of dry food:

EVO (50% protein)
Orijen (42% protein)
Acana (35% protein)
Blue Wilderness (40% protein)

Also, Google "Brother's Complete" and see if that would work for you as well.
[notify]

Tigger

What!? You mean- I'm NOT a dog!?

Purred: Fri Jan 27, '12 3:34pm PST 
Thanks guys. My Emma will eat canned food but my Tigger is VERY picky. He has NO desire for wet/canned or even human food (chicken tukey etc). He wont eat treats either. All he cares about is dry and it is also VERY hard to switch him. When we first found him we didnt plan on keeping him and just got him what they had at the dollar store which was meow mix then once we decided to keep him we switched to Nutro which was recommended by a sales person. Then after all the news going around on Catster about the Nutro recall we switched to Blue. Which he refused to eat for a few days. Although he is now doing great with Blue I just know he has a fragile system and I want to keep him as long as I can. The vet said his heart is to weak to handle anistesia (however you spell that) and he is FIV positive. SO I just want to make sure he is with me as long as possible.
[notify]

Pequena- (Sasha's- sister)

Purred: Sat Jan 28, '12 3:34pm PST 
I agree with wallace completely.

I do feed Pequena some dry food, but only 1/4 cup a day. and the ONLY reason why is this:

about a year and a half ago, I tried feeding her and Sasha wet food or homeade food ONLY. They got 3-4 meals a day of high quality canned food or homemade stews that I made.

It seemed like it should have been enough, but it must not have been enough calories. they were both STARVING. Pequena was going in the kitchen sink and licking dirty dishes (when there were unwashed dishes) and also she was knocking over the trash can and trying to get garbage out of the trash. I remember the one time I had gotten buffalo wings for takeout and she got into the bones!

Sasha, dropped about 2 pounds and whenever I would feed her, she would eat in such a crazy frenzy as if she hadnt eaten in days!

Even when I increased the size of their meals a little bit, it still wasnt enough calories I guess.

So then I just had to go back to giving them some dry food. It must take a lot longer to digest and prob has more calories so it keeps them fuller longer.

So they (and now just pequena since Sasha passed away) got/gets two wet meals a day (one in the morning and one in the evening) and 1 dry meal a day ( in mid day) and I only give her 1/4 cup of dry food.

this meal plan seems to work best. It keeps her satisfied and it keeps me from going crazy. Though I still hate feeding her any dry food at all.

I switch the brands I get. Sometimes I get Avoderm, Wellness, Evo (she doesnt care for the taste of Evo as much) and right now I have Blue Spa Select
[notify]

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Sun Jan 29, '12 2:35pm PST 
Tigger, I totally understand your predicament. Emily only at dry food. The thought she suffered kidney failure because of what food she liked makes me realize electric water fountains really are worth the expense because without them, a cat who refuses to eat wet food will not drink enough water.
[notify]

Purred: Fri Feb 3, '12 1:33am PST 
All my friends who have cats say Purina is good one, but I think that dry food is unhealthy. The thing is that I've read many negative reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/animal-feed.html) about dry food, so I don't risk feeding my pet with it.
[notify]

Lord Thunder- Puncher

Purred: Tue Feb 7, '12 5:56am PST 
In terms of ingredients, I feel that Orijen is the best quality dry food on the market. We feed our cats a variety of foods, including a small portion of dry, and I am highly satisfied with Orijen compared to virtually every dry food on the market. I think it is a great option for someone who has a cat that resolutely refuses to consume raw or wet foods (they do exist!) when paired with means to encourage drinking more water.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3