GO!

How to medicate a finicky semi-feral cat?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Fritz

Purred: Thu Jan 19, '12 8:28pm PST 
Hi everyone,

Back in August we added a new member to our cat family - a semi-feral cat named Elvis who was the son of our now deceased cat Momo. Since he arrived, he's been having recurrent problems with diarrhea and, more recently, has developed a bad problem of leaving poo-blobs around the house that just seem to spontaneously come out of him.
He's wormed, indoors only, the other cats don't have these problems.
We've gone to the vet twice to get medication for him, both times were given a pro-biotic paste to start off with and both times he's only successfully had about one course of the medication. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to medicate this cat.

He will not let me approach him, he just runs. He is very finicky when it comes to food and will generally only eat kibble, so when I put the medication in his food he notices and runs away then too. I've tried herding him into a crate, which just results in a lot of flailing, me being slapped repeatedly with all his might and the dispensed medication disappearing in the frenzy. I can't catch him to put him in a towel or scruff him, I can't approach him to smear it on him so he has to lick it off. It's always a lot of running, a lot of chasing, a lot of trauma.
We also tried Hill's I/D, but that didn't help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can medicate him? I'm not only concerned about his health, but the poo blobs and poo crusties that appear everywhere are beyond disgusting and are perilous on dark wood grain floors.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '12 8:42am PST 
Does the medicine come in pill form? If you had a pill you could try pill pockets. Many drugstores will compound meds, so if it doesn't come as a pill perhaps they could make it into one? That's the only thing I can think of - it's so hard with uncooperative cats!
[notify]

Fritz

Purred: Fri Jan 20, '12 12:43pm PST 
Unfortunately it doesn't, but I haven't found any treats this guy will eat so far, so I'm not sure if pill pockets would work. He doesn't give me much to work with. I guess I'll just have to ask the vet for something else and hope there is something apart from kibble he will eat that I can hide it in.. and that he won't notice. thinking I've never had a cat this difficult to medicate before.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jan 22, '12 12:34pm PST 
I would still look for a place that compounds meds. I've never had it done, but I think they can make them flavored (for example, chicken flavor) which may help? Or maybe into a flavored powder that you could sprinkle on the food. Sorry I can't be more help.
[notify]

Spirit

I'm a believer! - The kitty condo- is mine

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 5:58am PST 
i was going to recommend a liquid or powdered medication. I don't like pill pockets either...well, at least i don't fall for it wink

mom asks the vet for liquid form. Sometimes the vet may substitute a certain medication...another one that could work. Good luck! way to go
[notify]

Nanette

What's this?- Where am I? Who- are you?

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 6:48am PST 
Have you had the poo tested, next time pick up a but put in a plastic bag and take it to vet for a fecal test. It'll tell you if he has worms(not a 100% sure but it'll give you an idea) Also you saiud he was dewormed, that was at the vet I assume? Did they tell you to repeat the dose in 3 weeks, then test, and or do it again?
It os a tragedy and almost imposible to med a houseferal..mom knows! there's 5 of us and she puts meds in food, tries a few triocks(like me I've to have it for life and she gets it compounded into a chicken flavor liquid, puts it on my food, I don't mind it but can't have the full dosage at once, so she split it on several meals during the day.
Sometimes we do pill pockets but not always..mom crushes the pills in liquid that she puts in food, some are ok that waqy tho some meds get too diluted..must ask vet first
[notify]