GO!

Interesting talk with vet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daigon

Tiny girl, tiny- peep voice.

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 2:33pm PST 
Hey, y'all

I recently went to a cat show (first time in over 20 years) and there were several vets on hand to discuss whatever you wanted to talk about. I asked each and everyone of them about the rawfed diet and their comments/concerns. Here's what it came down to.

They all advocate rawfed if done correctly. Their complaint was that humans do the damage - they bring their sick kitties in, "...but I feed only a raw diet..." only to find out that the human forgot about the premade rawfed and let it "go over" or made it with meat that had gone too bad for anything to eat.

Their suggestion - like we don't already know this - is to freeze any unused portions and thaw it only when it is going to be fed in a few hours. I mean that day. "Don't let it thaw on the counter or keep it in the refrigerator for a week."

And the cat show was great. And every breeder I talked with (there were many) were very open and each one fed their cats either an exclusive rawfed (Maine Coon cats in particular) or high quality canned and rawfed diet.

I just thought it was interesting.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 2:57pm PST 
I think you met us, and you and Meowma didn't recognize each other...she thought about it on the way home and laughed...The Nashville show, right?

Edited by author Fri Jan 13, '12 3:06pm PST

[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 3:05pm PST 
I was there with bodrouex also, and you saw me too; I was in Household Pet.
[notify]

Daigon

Tiny girl, tiny- peep voice.

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 3:10pm PST 
SHUT UP!!

I loved you guys!!! The Almond crackers were the bomb. You have such gorgeous cats - wanted to kidnap them but I figured you would hunt me down. How many ribbons did you take home, a million?

My husband thought I was going past the bend at first when I talked about y'all. But by the end of lunch he decided it was better to see me happy, laughing and talking rather than gripe about the *cat* topic. big grin big grin big grin
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Fri Jan 13, '12 7:10pm PST 
Our friend had the yummy crackers...tell your hubby cat shows are like big hen parties only with cats! Meowma says y'all had beer at a Mexican plaxe in GA one time and lived not too far apart, it just didn't register till later.
Back OT, the silly purebreds here eat raw and canned, and growing kitties get some dry--but I won't touch the raw. Other cats might find out I was a little orphaned stray as a baby if I don't act civilized and demand my foods processed.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat Jan 14, '12 7:19am PST 
I finally admitted to my vet this past fall that I feed mostly raw to the boys and he said...nothing. I think he just thought it was better not to talk about it. However, he did comment on how big and strong my cats are, so maybe someday he'll put 2 and 2 together.

Cool that you found multiple vets who thought that raw feeding wasn't some freaky cult thing.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

HoneyBaby

Quartz makes a- great pillow.

Purred: Sat Jan 14, '12 8:45am PST 
Rory: I have so looked for you! How y'all doing?!

Shade: As they say, the proof is in the pudding. smile Visual evidence is difficult to dispute.
[notify]

Milky

Pretty,- charming, and- kind of weird

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '12 1:55pm PST 
"Their suggestion - like we don't already know this - is to freeze any unused portions and thaw it only when it is going to be fed in a few hours. I mean that day. "Don't let it thaw on the counter or keep it in the refrigerator for a week." "

You mean thaw it only when it is going to be fed in a few hours on the kitchen counter or in the refrigerator?

sorry, I was a bit confused.
[notify]

QGM- Harlequin- (Striped- Seven)

I am a show- champion!

Purred: Mon Jan 16, '12 3:42pm PST 
I guess I'm lucky, my vet feeds her own pets (partial) raw and I sometimes buy raw food/bones from her since she gets a good price from her distributor...

Rory that's interesting because my kitties who I rescued as feral babies refuse to touch raw too...
[notify]

lucky

Purred: Mon Feb 6, '12 4:28pm PST 
here is my issue with thawing the batch for only that day feeding: when i try to thaw same day as the meal say a few hours before each feeding the meat sometimes stays frozen a bit.
i tried thawing in the fridge during night for morning feeding but it stayed frozen. i tried thawing in a bag but it keeps on cooking the meat.
i have no choice but to defrost it on the counter and then warp it up and put it in the fridge.

i don't know if this is because it is winter and i live in RI (though the heat is working in the apartment) or maybe it is another reason.
it just took me two day to defrost a whole chicken in the fridge and when i cut it the inside was still slightly frozen. so i put it under lukewarm water.

i am also not sure it is possible when feeding 5 cats twice a day.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2