GO!

Growling with certain toys

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Silverbelle

The fur makes- the mouse

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 4:24pm PST 
My Mom is trying to figure out where I growl when I'm playing with certain toys. Its particularly my grey catnip mouse with the fur and a red sparkly pom-pom. Any ideas why I growl with just these toys? My brother doesn't even have to be nearby and I start growling. Maybe these are just very realistic to me?
[notify]

Emily

Don't pet, play!

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 4:35pm PST 
Hi. We met you today on another forum. Yes, my "brothers" Eko and Leo do this with the really good toys too...the ones that remind them of real prey. (Good cat play is usually a hunting simulation or other type of battle.) Sometimes Leo even hisses at them! kitty
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 5:17pm PST 
Mine both do the same with certain toys, especially those with feathers or real fur. I agree with Emily that it's a prey instinct. We sometimes hear one of them growling while carrying a toy in their mouth to hide it. They're fond of attacking their favorite toys and then hiding them under furniture or under the basement door after they've "killed" them.
[notify]

Sanskrit

Sanskrit - Seize the Meeze!

Purred: Thu Jan 5, '12 5:31pm PST 
At first I thought Silverbelle was growling at me! But its whenever she picks up that mousey! Glad to know my sister isn't crazy smile
[notify]

Louis- Armstrong - ILM

I'm walkin' to- New Orleans.....

Purred: Fri Jan 6, '12 6:42am PST 
Yes, all of us like to do the same thing, and usually with toys that have fur on them. Mine have a "Kong Toy" - gift from a friend, which is almost as long as one of them, but they like to wrap all their paws around it and "kill it." Love to watch mine walk around with a toy in their mouth growling, and then hide it.

The New Orleans Kittieswavecat on moon
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Fri Jan 6, '12 4:51pm PST 
Most of us here do this, at least the girls. Rory and Bodrouex don't do it. Meowma thinks it's just adorable, and also that it's a good thing we each have our own idea of which toys are 'special'.
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Fri Jan 6, '12 5:22pm PST 
I doesn't likey, to share my mousey toys, with the furs on them. Not even with my little brother Cruiser. I holds the mousey, in my mouth, and growls. Mommy says no growling allowed, ever, that is baddy boy stuff. I knows what baddy boy stuff means.

So when I growls, with the mousy toy, mommy scruffs me, lifts my front end off the ground, about 1 inch, leaves my back end on the ground, and says "no growling, that is baddy boy stuff" in a stern voice. Then she takes the mousey away from me.

Mommy says there is no growling allowed, ever. The judgeys have all sorts of toys, and they mights has a mousey toy. If I was to growl, that shows the judge, I is not a goody boy, and won't share my toys.
She also says, she is the boss, and she can has, any toy, at any time. I thinky, she just don't want me to bitey her, if she takes the mousey toy away. I doesn't bitey, I learned that too, is baddy boy stuff, but mommy says, why take the chance.

I still doesn't share my mousey toys with Cruiser, but I no longer growls. I learnedy real quicks, that growling, earns me, my toys taken away.
[notify]