GO!

Homemade Cat Food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Varoom

Purred: Mon Nov 28, '11 1:40pm PST 
I bought a book online for recipes for homemade cat food, and was wondering if that is actually healthier for my kitties than buying the stuff I do now?

The author claims that his cats live over 20 years and pretty much have no health problems.

Any advice?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Nov 28, '11 2:48pm PST 
While I do believe that a homemade raw diet is healthier than any commercial product you can buy, I hesitate to recommend any homemade diets sight unseen because I have come across some truly horrific cat food recipes that people have posted online. The basic rule is that your cat is an obligate carnivore, meaning they need meat, meat and more meat. Any recipe that contains veggies, grains or *anything* that isn't meat (except of course bones and organs) could potentially cause more problems than it solves. I'd be happy to take a look at a sample recipe and let you know my personal opinion if you'd find that helpful, but I would proceed cautiously. That said, it also depends on what you're feeding now. If you're feeding kibble, I do recommend finding something healthier. There's a lot of good info on catinfo.org if you haven't seen that site already.
[notify]

Varoom

Purred: Tue Nov 29, '11 12:10pm PST 
Thank you for responding! smile

The website is www.catfoodrecipesonline.com

This is a sample. I'm not sure what to do... I don't want to feed my kitties commercial food anymore, but I'm not sure if this is actually healthy for my kitties...

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:02pm PST 
I checked out this guy's webiste, admittedly kind of quickly, and I don't see any actual recipes, kind of sketchy in my opinion; I mean, the guy could give a sample. Did you get the book yet? If so, can you give us an idea of the types of ingredients he uses? As BK said, you don't want a recipe with rice and veggies. Cats are obligate carnivores and meant to obtain all of their nutrition from meat alone.

I urge you to consider raw feeding since you are, rightfully, concerned about commercial diets. I've been feeding the boys raw for 3 years now and they're doing great and we've never had any adverse incidents. I mention that because I know that a lot of people are concerned about bacterial contamination.

Why don't you check out catinfo.org, catnutrition.org, and rawfedcats.org. There is a section on littlebigcat.com (http://www.littlebigcat.com/nutrition/easy-homemade-diets-for-cats- and-dogs/) that discusses different homemade diets and lists several books on the subject as well as listing both a sample cat and sample dog recipe.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Varoom

Purred: Thu Dec 1, '11 6:07pm PST 
I'm sorry! The sample never showed up! frown

4. BEEFY GOODNESS

[notify]

Varoom

Purred: Thu Dec 1, '11 6:10pm PST 
1/2 cup raw trimmed beef
1 tbsp beef broth
2 tbsp cooked oatmeal
1 tbsp dried barley grass powder
1 cooked minced veggie

cook raw trimmed beef in just enough broth to cover, over medium to low heat. When beef is cooked through, shred with fork and mix with broth. add minced veggie, and add barley grass powder. Stir well. Last add the oatmeal to achieve consistency that your cat likes.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Thu Dec 1, '11 10:10pm PST 
No, no, no, definately not. That would have to be heavily supplemented (a calcium source, for example, is a must) before it could take the place of your cat's current meals. It is possible that he has a vitamin/mineral mix that he recommends you add, but otherwise, steer clear.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Dec 3, '11 11:21am PST 
I agree with Amber. This is not even close to nutritionally complete, and the oats and veggies are useless. Please don't feed this.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sun Dec 4, '11 12:30am PST 
Is there an emoticon here for banging head on wall?? lol!!
just kidding but yes that recipe I would steer clear of. YIKES!!laugh out loud
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Dec 4, '11 5:50am PST 
There is, just not on Catster laugh out loud

Banging head on wall emoticon

I agree that the recipie in that book is not good for any cat. If you want to make your own food, use a good nutrionally complete recipie such as the one at Catinfo.org. Raw food is best because cooking meat can destroy some nutrients.

Edited by author Sun Dec 4, '11 5:51am PST

[notify]