GO!

Christmas Trees...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 5:29am PST 
I'm planning to have a Christmas tree this year. My nieces are really looking forward to it. I'm very nervous and apprehensive about it. I didn't have a tree last year because of Hunter. I thought by this year, he would of calmed down. Not the case. For those of you who don't know Hunter, he is absolutely crazy. You can read about him in his diary. Anyway, I know I'm going to have to tie down the tree somehow so he doesn't tip it over. Also, I plan on putting all soft/stuffed ornaments on the bottom two levels of the tree so he doesn't break any glass ones.

How can I introduce a Christmas tree in my house without crazy Hunter climbing all over it? Is there some sort of deterrant spray I can spray on the tree? I need some sort of guidance because I forsee this being a total disaster.

Oh and the presents. How to keep him from opening up the presents and playing with the string/bows.

OMG this is a disaster waiting to happen.

meditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditatemeditate
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 8:27am PST 
I'm not bothering with 3 youngstersd here. Perditas first xmas she left it alone for 2 hrs, but Patch, well, he only left it alone for an hour last year. This year it stays in the box...........
[notify]

Cookie

Can we play??

Purred: Wed Nov 9, '11 9:28am PST 
I posted last week on this topic too. So far the fake tree I put up last week is ignored by newbie Cookie. The next step is to put on lights. And then ornaments. If you can put up your fake tree now without light or ornaments and see what happens.

Wrap your presents without ribbons & bows. Wrap a few empty boxes too and put them under the tree to keep Hunter out too. Somebody in my house always likes to sleep on the tree skirt. It is right by the heat register.

My sister had a fake tree fall one year. She put it wrong. But to make her happy I anchored it to the wall with washers, thick fishing line and those new anchor screws. I got the anchors that were for 50 lbs.

You can alway pick up a box or two of unbreakable ornaments for Hunter to pick off the tree. MOL Season Greetings!
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Thu Nov 10, '11 4:18am PST 
Good idea Cookie, but it's a bit early to put a tree up yet, folks would think I was bonkers lol. Although I have seen a bungalow up the road with decorations up outside, hmmmmm.
[notify]

Monida

I look so- innocent when- I'm sleeping.

Purred: Thu Nov 10, '11 11:43pm PST 
I would avoid putting any glass or breakable ornaments on the tree until you know for sure Hunter will leave the tree alone. I had a little tree I put on a little stand and Monida pulled it down and broke all the ornaments. frown

If you're doing a full-sized tree, maybe there's a way you could tie a rope around it and attach it to the wall, so that way he can't pull it down.
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 6:46am PST 
Real trees is what Tigger loves. He climbs it every year & peeps out from inside like jungle kitty. Maizy is the one that will tap every ornament within reach & has broken her share. It is funny that the bottom half of our tree is pretty bare! We have a very heavy base so that the tree cannot tip. He does climb into the fake tree I have downstairs too.
[notify]

Sherbet

"I'm hungry!"

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 9:50am PST 
I'm a climber and so is my brother. Daddy's family has to tie a rope around the tree (underneath the branches) and attach it to the wall to keep us from knocking it over.
[notify]

Hunter- Devious

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 10:20am PST 
Yes Mom has decided against a tree this year considering she saw how easy I got up the 25 ft evergreen in her yard when I was feral.Plus the fact that I ripped the hair off one of her antique figures and stole stuff from her shelfs.She feels why encourage me since I am new to the indoors and have so much curiousity.Well I hope she finds something to put my presents under.Maybe I should drop a hint a kitty tower would be a great replacement for the tree.mol mol
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 8:47pm PST 
My wife and I haven't had a tree in years because of our kitties. My wife is due with our daughter on December 1st so I'd love to try a tree again in the next year or two for her. I'm hoping my three youngest kitties will calm down a bit before that but I DOUBT that will happen lol so we'll see how it goes!
[notify]

Nellie Married to Toby J

Purred: Fri Nov 11, '11 9:29pm PST 
we cant have a tree either. last year moms in laws gave her a small one and she had to throw it away cause me and alexis started chewing on it. ewwww. it was a fake tree.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4