GO!

Purina One smart blend canned cat food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 3:56pm PST 
I was in the grocery store recently and noticed a new canned cat food on the shelf. When looking at the ingredient list, I noticed that it did not contain any glutens (at least the pate variety doesn't), however, it contains something called corn oil. Does anyone here know how healthy/unhealthy corn oil is for cats? I noticed it also contains menadione bisulfate. I just wonder how this canned food compares to something like fancy feast in terms of being "healthy" for cats? Since it doesn't show the amount of magnesium in their analysis, I wonder if it would be bad for a cat that is prone to struvite stones? The ash content of the pate formulas are all 3.0%. Here is a link if anyone is interested and can help me with my questions. Thanks in advance furriends!

http://www.purinaone.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId= 2379F481-F1FD-4BC1-90C1-620C9C079D27 thinking
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 4:10pm PST 
Hmmm...I looked at the website and read the ingredients.

I don't like the fact that color has been added to the food....and salt is a little high on the list. I've heard that corn oil is good for skin and coats, but it's also packed full of Omega 6's - something that we really don't need more of, seeing how it's present in high levels in most farmed meats.

While I remain unconvinced that menadione is harmful to cats in tiny amounts, it appears to be higher up on the list that I'd like to see.thinking

Of course, the meat-by products worry me a bit....but at least it's not the primary meat source and it's 5th on the list.

My opinion? If it's on sale, get a few cans, but I wouldn't feed this exclusively or at full price. Hope this helps!
kitty
[notify]

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 4:28pm PST 
Thank you Gummi, all responses are very helpful! I didn't give the added color a thought. Is there such a thing as too many omegas in the diet? I ask this only because you hear such good things about the omegas in pet care. It is really nice for some one to analyze this canned food formula to point out things that we are not aware of. Thanks again! happy dance
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 4:45pm PST 
You're very welcome Sophie! smile

As for your omega question, it's not a matter of having too much overall, it's a matter of having the right ratio of omega 3 to omega 6's in the diet. And since the Purina only lists Omega 6's as an addition, it is likely unbalanced in that regard. That's why I supplement my kitties with salmon oil several times a week. smile Omega 3's are scarce because they are only prominent in wild-caught game and fish, and they rarely survive the cooking process.
[notify]

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 5:43pm PST 
Wow, that is very useful information Gummi, thanks for your help! hug
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Nov 1, '11 7:12pm PST 
Hey Sophie - I see you too are still on the prowl for good food choices too. It seems like I find one, then Tig doesn't want it, or the other 2 won't eat it. Fancy Feast has been on sale for 50 cents a can at Target, so I have been using that - only the classic no gluten. But I am not a fan of the artificial flavor & stuff. Plus a few of the flavors make Smitty sick every time he eats it - barf - It is so frustrating. Have you tired Dave's at all? I love my 3 to pieces, but sometimes they make me crazy trying to please everyone! big laugh I did notice a few foods with corn oil too - so is that considered a grain then? hmmmm
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 4:12am PST 
I think that it's odd that the menadione sodium bisulfite complex is in this food at all; it's usually only in fish based foods. shrug

To be picky, the artificial and natural flavors don't thrill me, neither does the salt, the generic "liver", the generic "animal by products", or the added color. Do cats care about the color of their food?

However, assuming that this food is not expensive, I think that it's a better option than many other foods out there which contain cheap grain fillers.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Gummi

Destroyer of- Spiders

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 5:19am PST 
Shade brings up a good point; there really isn't any reason for this food to have menadione, as it is a beef and not fish recipe. Strange. confused
[notify]

Sophie

2cute4words

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 6:11am PST 
Hi guys, wave Yes, Tigger, I am still on the prowl for a better canned food that Sophie will eat since we are currently eating the fancy feast "classic" varieties that contain no glutens. If anyone is interested, I paid $.60 a can for the purina one smart blend, but only went for the pate varieties since the gravy flavors all contained glutens. Overall, to be a grocery store variety, I guess this formula isn't so bad, but I would still love to get Sophie to eat a healthier choice. She will nibble at Natural balance turkey and gibblets, so occasionally I will throw in one of those in her diet. I agree Tigger, this will drive you crazy at times getting these babies to eat what is good for them. Ggrrrr! shrug
By the way, I still haven't tried Daves, have you?
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Thu Nov 3, '11 10:45am PST 
We've been eating Dave's, and we like it. It's got only good stuff in it (Mom checked), and it's less expensive than the fancy brands. The chicken and the turkey flavors are pate style (which all we'll eat). I think the fish flavors are chunky. Mom talked to her local pet store, and they started carrying it - and at a lower price than Mom could get on the web! Mom's happy, and so are we!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2