GO!

Kitties and Bees

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

  
(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Leo Lovebug- ♥

It's all about- the ear floof!
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 12:46pm PST 
A bee got into the house. Before I realized it, Leo had the bee cornered. I think he touched the bee with his front paws and his mouth. I got the bee outside as soon as I saw it, Leo "played" with it for less than a minute.

He seems fine (It happened 30 minutes ago). I'm extra paranoid because my dog Sophie had two life-threatening allergic reactions to bee stings. Sure, that was 15 years ago, but it was so scary. Sophie's allergic reaction (face and leg swelling, eyes bleeding) occured almost immediately- within 10 minutes. Both occasions required ER visits, fluids, and medicine.

Leo seems fine. I don't know if he got stung, I can't see anything and he's acting normal (was just in my lap kneading, purring, and drooling- very normal).

I called the vet and they said an allergic reaction can take up to 24 hours to occur. Has anyone else had experience with cats and bees, bee stings, and/or allergic reaction to bee stings? I think he's okay but I'm worried, especially if it can take up to 24 hours for an allergic reaction.
[notify]

Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 2:01pm PST 
For any pet with a serious allergic reaction:
They do make epi-delivery-systems for pets. It would work for any allergic reaction with anaphylactic shock. Your vet has them.
Stings usually itch or hurt pretty quickly, so for one on his body he would either be scratching or licking the area repeatedly. In the mouth would make it painful to eat. Those are symptoms of stings and I don't think he was stung, from your description.
Be aware that anaphylactic shock can come on suddenly. Symptoms are pale gums, trembling, weakness, body temp outside normal range(99 - 102), vomiting, diarrhea, wheezing, rapid breaths. They need to see a vet within 10 to 20 minutes. Wrap in a blanket & keep him warm. Rub a few drops of honey or syrup on his gums with the tip of your finger. Administer Benadryl, 1mg per pound of body weight, about half a pill or 3/4 tsp liquid FOR A 10 - 12LB CAT. Take him to the vet.
You need to know artificial respiration in case he stops breathing and CPR for animals in case his heart stops. You can check the pulse in the femoral artery, inside the back leg where it meets his body.
Like I said, I doubt that he was stung because he shows no symptoms AT ALL. If you are really worried about the possibility of a reaction, it's best to talk to your vet about it.
Keep in mind that just because it can happen up to 24hours, it's not likely. Most cases occur almost immediately. Delayed cases most often occur in a 3 - 6 hours later time frame.
kitty
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 2:02pm PST 
I am known for my l33t bee catching skills. Meowmy cannot tell if I've ever been stung by my prey, but in theory, the reaction is uncomfortable and not life-threatening. While your dog may have had a severe reaction, the cat may not at all. If it does take up to 24 hours, it probably will be poofiness and watery eyes rather than that swift, scary reaction. Just keep an eye on the kitty and don't stress out.
[notify]


Tink the Cat

Never met a- mouse I didn\'t- bat!
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 3:36pm PST 
Memphis makes a great point - most kitties are not allergic to stings. They have discomfort, more so than we would because of the lower body weight holding the same amount of venom. So you would know, pretty much right away, if they were stung. But most will be bothered by the sting & not allergic reaction!!way to go
[notify]

Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 3:49pm PST 
I have eaten many insects in my lifetime. And I have probably eaten a bee too, and I am fine. I think severe reactions to bee stings tend to be rare. Otherwise, all of us would be in big trouble and carrying epi pens around our necks.
[notify]

Scooter ~- Our Angel

It's all about- 'The Scootster'
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 6:15pm PST 
I was stung a couple of times. The first time, the front paw and leg that I'd "caught" the bee with swelled up, really large -- huge! To Mom it seemed like it doubled in size. The sting happened in the evening and some swelling started soon after. The swelling got worse through the evening and night (Mom was awake most of the night watching me), but by morning it started to go down. So I'd say it peaked well before 12 hours, maybe in 7-9 hours, then started going down. The next day, I was fine.

Mom called the emergency clinic after it happened and was told it should not be a problem, even with the swelling, but to watch for signs of distress such as rapid breathing. I had no signs of distress -- that was Mom. laugh out loud

The next time I was stung, my paw only swelled up a little bit. I don't know why -- maybe it wasn't as bad a sting?
[notify]

Leo Lovebug- ♥

It's all about- the ear floof!
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 7:48pm PST 
Thanks for the info and stories. It's been 7 hours and Leo seems fine. Playing, eating, no signs of distress. I don't think he was stung, thank goodness! I'll keep a close eye on him but so far, so good. He's currently wrapped around my laptop, being a lovebug. This really scared me, glad we seemed to have dodged a bee sting!
[notify]

♥Sam

482321
 
 
Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 11:28pm PST 
We've also been known to chase them. I think it's a kittens rite of passage. MUST HUNT BEES laugh out loudSCARE HUMANlaugh out loud
[notify]

Samhain

1172733
 
 
Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 5:58am PST 
Two instances: (1) Our cat Maya was once stung on the head by a wasp probably, though I didn't see it. I'm not sure of the time lag, but it couldn't have been more than an hour. She had swelling, and because of that, I got nervous and gave her a quarter of a benadryl tablet. It was for humans, but I thought this would not be a bad thing. I didn't have access to the internet back then, and the vet would have been a 45 minute drive. Anyway, within minutes it seemed like, the swelling started to go down and she seemed good.
(2)When we took in the two kittens Sleeper and Samhain, I started reading up on all sorts of things, including first aid for bee stings. Apparently what I had done for Maya was OK, though the books and Net suggested baby benadryl (can't remember the generic name at the moment) in liquid form - on the nets they give dosage according to weight. However, when the time came, it was Samhain and she had almost no reaction at all. I only noticed later that she might have been stung because I saw two small welts on her chin under her mouth - they looked very much like a mosquito bite on a human. But she's short-haired, and especially on her head it's easy to see her skin. Otherwise I probably never would have seen them at all.
Anyway, despite what the vet said, they may be just covering their a--, my bet is that if you didn't see a fairly quick reaction, then he isn't going to have one, even if he was stung.
Oh, and we once had a cat who was bitten on the head by a rattlesnake and survived! The vet gave her steroids. That was a shocker, let me tell you! smile shock
[notify]

Tiger Lily- Blossom

Tigey
 
 
Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 4:08pm PST 
Purrrr purrrr purrrr that you did not get stingied!!
We get nasty hornets in our apartment and momma goes nutties trying to get them because she is scared for us and herself (her momma was deathly allergic)

Stay away from anything that buzzbuzzes!!
[notify]

  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2