GO!

Can't handle Neeka anymore

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Neeka Renee

Sugar's the- Queen, but I'm- the Princess

Purred: Sat Oct 8, '11 5:47pm PST 
She stays on the top cupboards in the kitchen. She won't come down. She poops under the chair and not in the litter box. We believe that she would be better off in a home without dogs and are thinking of rehoming her. Neither one of us can climb a chair twice a day, just to feed her because she refuses to come down. We are at the end of the line with her. What do we do? Thank you, and please no nasty replies. We want opinions, not rudeness. Thank you.
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Sat Oct 8, '11 6:30pm PST 
I can imagine how frustrated you are. She must be frustrated too. How long has she been like this?

The ideas that come to mind|: Does she have her own territory, like a high cat house to climb to be away from the dogs when she needs to be? It is very important for cats to have territory that is theirs and also cats love to be up high. Which you can see with her wanting to be in the high cabinets. Has she gone to the vet lately to make sure there isnt a health problem that is bothering her? Actually that is the first thing I would do. It could be something simple that isn't making her feel well. Is her litter box located somewhere private for her away from the dogs. It could be something like not liking her box or her litter. But maybe you have thought of all these things already.

If you really want to try to work this out with her I would contact a animal behaviorist that might be able to give you
some better ideas. Or maybe other catsters with cats and dogs will have some good ideas for you to try.

Best wishes to you and Neeka.
[notify]

Neeka Renee

Purred: Sat Oct 8, '11 9:25pm PST 
No cat thing to climb on, but she does get on the cupboards. She does have her own area, just for her. It's been like this for quite a while. She doesn't have her own litter box. There's one for the dogs and one for the cats. She's very loving when the boys aren't around. She'll come out and play and want to be petted. She does haul out and smack the boys, even when they aren't bothering her. Haven't been to the vet lately, but is due for a check-up. She seems healthy, but we'll get her looked at, just to make sure. If we could climb the chair twice a day, that would be no problem, but Auntie Kim can't because of her ACL surgery and I am having joint issues...possibly lupus, but I'll get into that later. We really think the big problem is her and the dogs and her possibly needing a place without them. Sugar doesn't act like this at all with the boys. Thank you for you advice and hoping others will give their input as well. We'll keep you updated too. hug
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Sat Oct 8, '11 11:34pm PST 
I caught a previous thread of yours from I think last year and so I learned a little bit more about Neeka and the dogs.

Our pawrents last cat, Rocky Ann (angel now), also was declawed and she was a little meanie. She would smack Daddy when ever he went by and hiss up a storm. But she was a Mommy's girl and only a Mommy's girl. I think without her claws, Neeka might feel she has no defense against the dogs so she smacks them to keep them away? Without her claws at least she can't hurt them. My kitty sibling Zoey does not like to be held at all either so my pawrents don't. You cannot pick her up, but she is loving, always wanting to be petted and brushed and be with me and the pawrents. So Mommy can relate to both those things.

With pooping out of the litter box, I guess I would just see if you can change anything that might be better for her. It sounds like she is trying to tell you something by pooping on the floor.

I read the suggestions of a pet gate in the other thread. My human brother and his boyfriend have 3 cats and 2 dogs and they all get along great but they still have an area that is only for the cats so they have their own space if they want away from the dogs. That is where the litter box is, some cat houses etc. They have this gate which is pressure mounted so you don't do any damage and has a little cat door for the cats to go in and out. High enough so the dogs don't jump.

Pet Gate with Cat Door

Molly & Friends have different height of cat houses at different prices. Maybe try to get her to go somewhere else she feels safe besides the high cabinets where it is too hard for you to get her.

Molly & Friends Cat Furniture

Have you ever watched the show "My Cat From Hell"? on Animal Planet? Not sure if they are being replayed now or not. But it gives good tips on making it work with cats.
My Cat From Hell

Good luck!
big hug
[notify]

Neeka Renee

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 3:45am PST 
Thanks! I actually like the ideas of the pet gate. I'll take a look at that link when I'm on my laptop later. Yes, she came to us declawed, which we are thankful for since Gypsy Road already had one eye scratched by a clawed stray. We do have a spare bedroom, so that would be good for her. hug
[notify]

Hunter- Devious

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 10:25am PST 
How long have you had her .It could be a time issue with the dog.Being declawed she has more to fear with a dog in mind.Have you tried holding her in a towel and letting the dog come near her.I believe the pooping under the chair is a fear issue of the dog.Cats need to feel their litterbox is their domain.If you can situate how to put the litterbox in a terriotorial area that she feels safe from the dog ,It might make a difference.Nobody thinks bad of you for considering rehoming.It;s clear your concern is about trying to give the cat a enviroment where it can be happy not scared.But do try to watch their behavior sometimes they give us answers that we finaly notice down the road.Keep us postedkitty
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 11:00am PST 
Neeka that is great that you have a spare bedroom to work with!

I agree with Hunter Devious. Also with 2 cats, best to have 2 litter boxes (maybe you do already). If Neeka can just go somewhere where she feels safe away from the dogs when she wants to, I think that would be good. She sounds very loving with you humans.

You were very good to give Neeka a home in the first place as I read you took her in for someone else and you had the dogs in your home first. So I agree, if you just can't work it out with her and the dogs, if you can find a safe loving home for her (not a rescue or shelter)where she might be an only cat or at least with no dogs, I think that can also be in everyone in your house's best interest including Neeka's. She seems to have alot of spirit and will probably live a long life like Angel Rocky Ann did. We always thought her meanness made her stronger!
[notify]

Neeka Renee

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 9:00pm PST 
Hunter: We've had her about four years now, and she doesn't like being held. We were warned about that when we first got her.

To both of your fur pals: She will come up to you when the boys aren't around and on her own terms. We're going to try the gate first, since we have a spare bedroom. If that doesn't work, then she'll have to be rehomed.
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Sun Oct 9, '11 11:17pm PST 
I'm so sorry this is happening. You sure have tried for a long time. She may have to be homed with someone that has only her as a pet and no other ones. Sometimes they just can't tolerate other animals in the house. It's too bad. I hope it works out for all of you, good luck. frown
[notify]

Hunter- *Dreamboat- #82*

Master of- Disaster!

Purred: Mon Oct 10, '11 5:16am PST 
Awww I'm so sorry you're having troubles with Neeka. I understand, and have thought of rehoming my Hunter from time to time. Its exhausting having a cat with issues/behavioral problems. Hunter came into my home as a kitten and I already had a year old Yorkie. My spare bedroom is Hunters sanctuary. I used to have a gate up in the doorway incase my dog got too rough with him. The holes in the gate are big enough for Hunter to get through, but not the dog. Also in Hunters sanctuary are his litterbox (where the dog can't get to) and his cat tree.

I agree with Zack, definately get her something where she can be up high. Make her a 'safe zone'. The spare bedroom sounds like a great idea. A place where she can roam, where she can have her very own litter box, and where she can come and go as she pleases. A place where the dogs can't get to her. I would invest in a gate.

Also, get her checked out at the vets. Definately can't hurt.

Good Luck, and I hope things get better for you.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2