GO!

Litter Boxes ( Yes, size matters)

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with cats. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 6:44am PST 
I dont understand how some owners use these little rinky dinky litter boxes. Before cat sitting for some neighbors of mine they told me the cat was pooping in their shower stall down in the basement. I went over so they could show me all the food supplies and checked out the situation.. when I seen the litterbox I said "No wonder" the cat has issues - there was this little litter box, the size Id use for a kitten - so I bought over and old Xtra large box and filled it with litter and stuck it in the shower area, next day low and behold.. it was pooped in. I guess the kitty needed some Purrivacy in its big box in the shower stall. HOW big is your litter box?
[notify]

Tiny Dancer

"I am kitty,- hear me roar . .- ."

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 7:51am PST 
Oh man, yeah!

I became a live-in pet-sitter (for only 1.5 years is all I could take) and their cats, along with having giardia, coccidia, etc., etc. and pooping all over their floors (they had to rip their carpets up and live with their floor as cement). They had TWO kitty litterboxes for 9 cats AND they had them pushed together. There was no room for them to move! They even used the large Tidy Cats thingies for litter boxes a few times.

I would say "no, no, no", but they would not listen. Even when I pointed 4 of their cats needed immediate vet care, and others needed vet care for less serious issues. They wouldn't listen; 3 of their cats died while I was there and I could not take that. Dogs pooped on floor, too, and sick. Toxic environment.

ME? I use 5 super jumbo boxes so they can walk around in their and have room to cover (and splash outside of the boxes, of course) and I clean them 2x/day for 10 cats. I have a permit by Animal Services and during their surprise visits they always ask if someone let me know they were coming, or ask where the litter boxes are - no smell (except RIGHT after Chief Red Cloud poops.. MAN!!!!!!! (But I had him fecal checked and bloodwork and he just happens to have the stinkiest poop in the world.

Having an air purifier, like "The Breeze" is helpful during cleaning.

Yeah, I agree with abovu-wuva. GREAT point to bring up!!

Give them room to go . . . and they will go.
[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 7:56am PST 
Our litter boxes are very large and deep, and each filled with 40 pounds of litter, plus or minus as they get scooped and refilled between full cleanings. Ralphie digs like he's going to the Earth's core, and even 20 pounds of litter in the same big box wasn't enough for him as a little kitten. I can't imagine using just those little rectangular pans! It would be a mess! Yes, the boxes are bulky and heavy, but I don't care as long as the cats use them.
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 8:49am PST 
Count us in for big boxes too!! Like Ralphie & Randy, our boxes have 40 lbs. of litter give or take. No hooded boxes here!

We use The Petmate Giant Litter Pan and a Biddy Box

2 big boxes for 2 cats. I feel bad for cats that have to use a box the size of a postage stamp frown

kitty
[notify]

Nellie

cause thats what- i am a princess

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 11:05am PST 
we have a jumbo hooded litter box thats deep. both my cats use the litter box fine. and yes i do know that cats like privacy when they go do their bisnuss and thats why we use the hooded the ones.
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 11:54am PST 
Sorry Nellie~ didn't mean to pick on your hooded box!

I just feel that the hood can trap smells in and I don't like that. Also, I took care of a neighbor's cat and the poor guy could barely fit into his hooded box...

Just my opinon~ if it works for you, it's all good way to go
[notify]

Emy&Molly

That's mine!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 12:30pm PST 
I use a hooded jumbo box as well, but I removed the flap and the carbon "filters" to allow for air flow. I scoop atleast twice a day, generally more, so their litter box rarely smells. I mainly use a hooded box to help with tracking (only one way out, so the mess isn't as spread out), and I "air out" the box for a few minutes each time I scoop to help prevent any build up in the box. Unless someone is going to scoop atleast twice a day and remove the flap though, I wouldn't reccomend a hooded box.

I would deal with the tracking for one of those Biddy litter boxes though. Curved sides! Scooping would be so easy.
[notify]

KuJu Ku

Bobtails Rule!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 12:33pm PST 
laugh out loud MOL, we are cracking up about the kitty digging to the EARTHS core.. dats so funny!
Thats better than digging to China. Lets have a race.
Wowsa Meowsa 40 lbs of litter !! Thats pawsome !
We use these litter boxes (www.nvrmiss.com) and like them, but was thinking of getting bigger as the one named above in someones comment.

Edited by author Mon Aug 22, '11 12:43pm PST

[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 1:26pm PST 
That's a cool box Kuju big grin

Emy&Molly, I agree that scooping twice per day is the best way to keep smells away way to go

The curved sides on the Biddy are kind of a problem because it is easier to pee on the curved sides than it is with a box that isn't curved...

I like the Petmate, but I wish they didn't include those pockets on the side, they are kind of useless. I guess nothing is purrfect!

kitty
[notify]

ZACK

BLACK is- HANDSOME

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 1:35pm PST 
wave

We use one of the same litter boxes as Tasha & TT do. We have 2 of the Petmate Giant Litter Boxes. We call them our sandboxes! They are nice and roomy. Mommy does put our litter scoop in one of the pockets which is real handy but it would even be better if they just forgot about the pockets and made it a huge box.

cat on moon

Edited by author Mon Aug 22, '11 1:36pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4