GO!

Anyone else have a CH Kitty (Cerebellar Hypoplasia)?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Ceasar

Lucky to be- alive

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 2:06pm PST 
This is my first experience with a CH Kitty and just looking to find other people to talk with. I'm not sure I can give him a long term home with his special needs. He's eating/ drinking and using the litter box. The problem is my other cats and my litter boxes are in the basement. I don't think it will ever be safe for him to use stairs. Him and his sister are in my office right now until I figure out what I'm going to do.

Anyone have any suggestions? I hate to have him euthanized.
[notify]

Callie

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 3:23pm PST 
I'm a CH kitty and I'm also almost blind. One thing that will make a difference is how severe the CH is. Some cats just wobble a little, while others are so wobbly they can't use the litter box. But stairs can definitely be a problem. You can't keep a box upstairs? Are the stairs carpeted? Please don't have this baby euthanized. There are people out there that only adopt CH kitties. There's an excellent group on Yahoo for CH parents. If you absolutely can't make it work please get in touch with them for help and they'll put the word out. And please feel free to paw mail me if you have any questions at all.
[notify]

Callie

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 3:26pm PST 
One more thought from mom - I got Callie when she was 3 so I can't be sure, but I understand that kittens wobble more than they will when they're grown. They need a good 6 months to really work on their motor skills and muscle strength I think. If Caesar is really only a month old and is already eating and using the litter box on his own, that's a really good sign. It's quite possible that his motor skills will improve even more.
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 10:46am PST 
Please do not put this baby to sleep. Purring you will make the right decision

Hermoine

play 23 hours a- day!

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 1:07pm PST 
I don't know much about this, except that though there is no cure, cats do often learn to compensate and so get around better. I saw a youtube vidoe and the kitten was falling all over itself as a kitten. As an adult cat s/he learned to get around.

--des
[notify]

CG

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '11 7:02pm PST 
Hi there,

My name is Amanda and I have a 3-year-old cat with cerebellar hypoplasia -- and I adopted him for that very reason! CH kitties can be a little extra work, but they're definitely worth it!

If he can eat, drink and use the litter box on his own, it sounds like he has mild to moderate CH, which can be easy to live with. I've also learned first-hand that some cats can manage it better as they grow up. I think it's because as kittens they're so clumsy to begin with, but once they start building muscle and learning their limits, it's not so bad. That said, stairs can still be an issue for them. To be safe, I'd keep your kitten away from stairs until he's a bit older and you can supervise. Once my cat was full-grown, he learned how to manage carpeted stairs, but he still can't manage hardwood stairs.

Anyway, like Callie asked, is there any way you can relocate the litter box? If that's his only issue I'd hate to see him lose a good home because of it.

If you absolutely cannot keep him, PLEASE do not euthanize him -- there really isn't a reason to. Also be aware that if you surrender him to a shelter, depending on its policy, he may be automatically put down. But this doesn't need to happen. As Callie said, there are people who adopt only cats with CH. There are many people who would love to help you find him a home.

Please do check out the Yahoo CH Kitty Club (http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/chkittyclub/), and feel free to contact me at: amanda.maurer(at)gmail.com. I would be happy to just chat with you about the condition, discuss your options and put you in touch with some folks who can help.

I really hope you can keep him. I know adopting my special needs boy was one of the best decisions I've made.

Good luck,
Amanda
[notify]

Spazzy

The lover

Purred: Sat Aug 6, '11 7:47pm PST 
My spazzy alsohas CH, a milder form of it, but there is definatly no need to put them down,
They're just like any other cat out there, they just require a little more care and love =]
[notify]

CARLOS

sawed off

Purred: Mon Dec 26, '11 7:05pm PST 
It may seem stressful having a cat and you find out they have this problem, I didn't know anything about this problem when I got my black kitty Downy. I found her as a tiny stray in my barn, and after a few days of having her inside I noticied her wobbly/occasionally falling over stiff legged issue. Everyone told me she was sick and to have her put to sleep. She didn't seem sick so I kept her. She seemed very happy, and sure of herself. Finally I came across someone who talked to me about her condition. I was so happy to hear it was something she was born with or have survived feline distemper. I felt bad she had to deal with it but it was a relief bc I was attached to her and didn't wanna put her down. I was happy to know she could live happily with it. To this very day I still have her and she's happy, talkative, lazy and friednly. She loves kids, let's them do whatever and all she cares about is getting love. Her motor skills have gotten better since her kitten hood, but she still walks stiff legged, and falls over or off things. But she doesn't care she lives her life happy.
[notify]

Natalie the- Natcat,- Forever

Show some- respect,- youngster!

Purred: Tue Dec 27, '11 7:00am PST 
My cat Andy had CH. He was actually originally diagnosed with brain damage from a car accident, but it was most likely CH as per the vet we went to.
Andy had trouble jumping, but could manage to climb to the sofa and curl up. He did everything most cats do. He could climb staairs but he was about 2 when I got him-it might have been an issue when he was a baby.
He was one of the most gentle cats I've ever known. He had no idea there was anything wrong with him. He played with my other cats, ate, drank, and used the box. We had 2 boxes for him, one a smaller uncovered box in the corner of the bathroom, and another we had tucked in the corner of our living room that was large and covered. The one in the bathroom was his,exclusively, and he also would curl up on the bathmat there sometimes, too.
Andy was always clumsy, but he got around just fine. He wasn't any more extra work, really, than any other cat. If there were moments there were, it was definately worth it. When I was sad, he'd come and crawl up the back of the couch and lay there and put his paw on my shoulder. It was like he knew.
Andy left for Rainbow when he was nearly 19 years old. He is much missed. of all the cats I've ever known, perhaps he was the most special in that he overcame a 'handicap'. But then, no one told him that he had anything different with him. The other cats certainly didn't.

There is no reason to put your CH baby down. He's done nothing wrong, and the small accomodations for him will be that-small. I've met many CH kitties over the time I worked in a no kill shelter. They were 'special' adoptions, but all those I knew lived long and full lives. CH can't be passed to other cats. Will he have 'limitations'? Maybe. Maybe he'll surpass what many 'normal' cats can do.

I can tell you that your little angel has a very special place in your life...and can teach you much if you let him.

While stairs may be a 'problem' there is a simple matter of putting the box upstairs in a quiet place for him and putting a gate at the top of the stairs so he can't get there and fall and maybe get hurt. Putting another box upstairs is not a biggie.

There is something about these kitties that make them very loving.

All the best,
Natalie's mom
[notify]