GO!

Leaving kitten at home?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Jezebel

She is- beautiful!

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 3:37pm PST 
Still a few weeks before I bring my little bundle of joy home, but I want to prepare for everything, so that she is safe and happy and healthy. Unfortunately I recently got a day job. It most likely won't be every day, but for the first little while, should I leave my kitten in a carrier, one specific room, or let her roam freely? I'm thinking I will have to see how she handles the adjustment, but I would love the advice!! Thank you so much!
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Fri Jul 8, '11 3:41pm PST 
You will want to leave her in a small room without small hiding spots for a few days anyway, until she becomes familiar with where the litter box is and gets used to you. After that she can roam the house as long as you have litten proofed it (think much more agile human toddler!)
You should never leave any cat confined to a carrier all day; unlike dogs that you can 'crate train', it would probably just make a kitty distressed.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '11 5:03am PST 
Pandora has some excellent advice. The kitten will be safe in one room (bathrooms are usually good, as they have tile floors (easy to clean up). We visted her page, and she is a cutie pie!!!

Good luck with your new baby, and we look forward to seeing her (and you) around CATSTER.

The New Orleans, Kittieswelcome
[notify]

Bo

The great- explorer!

Purred: Mon Jul 11, '11 6:17pm PST 
The bathroom does work well!
[notify]

Duet

Get that dog- away from me!

Purred: Wed Jul 13, '11 12:49pm PST 
Definitely don't leave her in a carrier, kittens aren't the same as puppies. A room where she can explore without breaking things is best until she gets a little older. Once she is older you'll be able to let her roam freely. Just remember to provide her with a cat tower and scratching post so that she doesn't end up climbing up curtains and scratching furniture. Good luck and congrats on the new kitty!
[notify]