GO!

Sudden loud purring

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Kiki

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 2:54pm PST 
Hello - I am new to the forums.
I wondered if anyone else has had this happen with their cat. I have a 7 year old female Siberian who is in very good health. Just yesterday the "volume" of her purring went from about a 5 to a 10+. She normally purrs softly as she did yesterday morning. But in the evening my husband was actually startled as she sat in his lap and started purring. She sounded like a motor boat. I could hear her from across the room. I called our vet this morning, they've never heard of it happening before. She seems absolutely fine. Anyone else have this happen to their cat?
[notify]

Cowboy

The Battle Of- Texas 2010- Winner!

Purred: Fri May 20, '11 5:58pm PST 
I does this. wave I has different levels, per say, of purrs, depending on what I am doing. When I kneeds the soft kitty blankies on the bed, and when mommy combs me out, I purrs real loud, cause I is real happy and content. wave big grin way to go
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Sat May 21, '11 6:27pm PST 
Yeppers, I would have to agree with Cowboy. But it is not my purrs that change, my Talking voice changes all the time. Ican eather be loud or SCREAMING. mol but all is fine with you so I would not worry to much. Welcome to Catster.
[notify]

Mac's Cat

I am what is- called, a- recycled Cat!

Purred: Sat May 21, '11 6:47pm PST 
oh my cat.. I must have been chasing a bug... I see you are NOT new to Catster, just the forums... mol
[notify]

Kiki

Purred: Sun May 22, '11 2:31pm PST 
Thanks for your replies!
Kiki's purr is back to a normal level but now her voice is a little hoarse/squeaky. Other than that, she seems fine. Will speak with the vet in the morning.
[notify]

Pepper

Purred: Sun May 22, '11 7:14pm PST 
Is there already an explanation why Cat purrs? Base on my observation, Pepper purrs (loudly) if he wants more attention (he becomes more touchy) and if he wants to mate with my queen.
[notify]