GO!

Lyme Disease

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Dillon-Caesa- r-Charmin-So- crates

The Clan

Purred: Thu Apr 21, '11 12:08pm PST 
Yes, my dears, Lyme Disease is still very much out there. And scary as any cat lover's nightmare can be.

My latest addition, Ragamuffin, has Lyme Disease. And let me tell you it is scary as all get out and every more scary to get him back to good health. Here goes.

A week ago I found Rags just sitting outside, very meek and quiet. Not his personality but I figured he was just having a bad day. Cats do that nwo and then. two days later I found him in the Cathouse with three bloody holes under his right arm pit, fresh blood leaking. Damn, he had been shot. It was storming that night and I ran inside to get a towel. He was gone.

I looked, I yelled, I hollered (and got soaked much to my neuro's dismay) but couldn't find him. Two days later, I found him in the cathouse again. He was not moving; I wasted no time in snatching him up and brining him inside (storms again!) He tolerated - uh, he just looked at me - a physical exam and I found thre of the biggest bloated Deer Ticks I have ever seen in my life. And I'm not young. And I was raised in the country. Yep, that big. They were bleeding around the mouth. I got them out and immediately treated him for anemia. I had enough stuff at the hosue to get that started.

Fast forward: I live in a town with a pop of 120. The nearest "real" town is Nashville and for an emergency vet that would be a near 2 hour drive. This was one a weekend to boot. I could not stress him out anyfurther. I hit my RESEARCH mode button, found something called Colloidial Silver which is used a great deal here on dogs, horses and cows, found a local place to buy it ($$) and I did. That with the Liqi Tonix (??) for cats and water - all administered via syring and hourly - got him back.

Please hear me clearly. I am NOT advocating CS (Collodial Silver) as a sole antibiotic source. I did my research and used what I had available with a dose of common sense and even bigger doses of fear and despiration. YOU: When in doubt, research and ask your vet.

Little Rags is now exploring the whole house (follows me like a pretty little shadow), talks a lot, eats a lot (yeah!) and drink. I don't know where he is doing his business and, frankly, at this point I don't care. He is alive and now starting to thrive again. He is slowly gaining some of the weight he lost and muy other house babies are starting to tussle with im which means he no longer smells sick.

To my knowledge, Lyme is not cured and he will always be in danger of a relapse. Fine, I'll be on the ready.

There it is - our story, our commentary. Hope it helps some out there.

!!!
Mila
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Apr 21, '11 1:00pm PST 
WOW! WOW! WOW! We're so glad you were able to figure something out! Oh my gosh how scary. You know what you should do for him now and for the rest of his life? B12 injections. Yup, stave off the anemia with B12 injections. way to go
[notify]

The Clan

Purred: Thu Apr 21, '11 1:20pm PST 
I hope have that covered. I add a B12 pill to their rawfed

Thanks for the alert. When he is less easily stressed I will cart him off to the (holistic) vet. She is great.
[notify]

Quincy

Krazee Kitty- Krack Kit

Purred: Thu Apr 21, '11 1:24pm PST 
Did you ever find out who shot him? Poor kitty...
[notify]

The Clan

Purred: Thu Apr 21, '11 4:39pm PST 
The shots turned out to be the Deer Ticks. The fresh blood was that leaking from around their icky ticky mouths/heads. Did I mention it was storming, we were both soaking wet, I was freaking at finding his limp little body with running blood? Yes, I panicked.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 5:26am PST 
I'm so glad you were able to help him!

I just want to add a word of caution about the colloidal silver: it takes no prisoners when it comes to bacteria. It kills both good and bad bacteria, so when done using it, it might be a good idea to start a probiotic.

I know you were working with what you had, I just wanted to put the information out there for others who might use CS.

Good work! applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]

The Clan

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 6:17pm PST 
Pookie,

Whoa, all my research and the local farm vets say it attacks ONLY bacteria, fungi and viruses. Point me to your souce(s) so I can print it off and smack some heads. I WILL NOT endanger my furrbies or leave them susceptible to secondary infections. This one was all to close to being a killer.

!!!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 6:42pm PST 
It would be good to give him L-lysine as well. That strengthens the immune system! What horrible experience that must have been! So glad he's okay! Well, you know what I mean. Poor thing. hug
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Sat Apr 23, '11 12:44pm PST 
This is Althea's mom. I am really impressed with your resourcefulness - and relieved that your little friend is recovering.

Do you know for a fact that he has Lyme? If he does - according to what I know (I know several people who have it), once it's in the system, it stays there for life. I don't mean to scare you but just want to let you know to watch him carefully in case of a relapse. Not all deer ticks carry the disease, so you may be fine. Just things to be aware of.

Good going with the CS!! I've heard of it but have absolutely no knowledge of it - I'm glad you did!
[notify]