GO!

Wont stop eating electrical wires!! Help

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 11:00am PST 
My name is Sammy I’m about 10 months old. I LOVE to chew on all the wires and cords I can get my paws on. Currently when mom isn’t home she keeps me and my brother in her room with everything unplugged, same as when mom goes to sleep.

But mom needs her phone charger plugged in because she uses that as an alarm clock to wake up. Mommy caught me and found the wires inside the phone charger sticking out of it.

What can my mom do to protect me since I some how manage to sneak behind her back and eat her phone charger. Mom plays Xbox and I’ve eaten 4 headsets in a mater of seconds! Is it safe to just wrap them up in electrical tape or will that provoke me more?

Petco said they had something but didn’t think it would work for a phone charger.
[notify]

Rusty

let no food bowl- be empty

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 12:42pm PST 
There is cord and cable protectors you can buy because it is really bad should she chew through a wire. The ones I have is called Cable Zipper. But there are other things that will work. You can go to a hardware store and ask for some sort of hard tubing that you could use to cover the cords and outlet. Also they used to sell something at vet hospitals and or pet stores that is bitter tasting to cats. Although I think that cats hate citrus smell and taste you might want to get the cord protector thing and then rub a lemon on it. I also always totaly over react when my kitten goes for the cords. Well I should say the couple of times she tried. I screamed and made such a fuss. I would never ever physically do anything to her and I never yell at her either. i just acted like it hurt me by screaming in pain when she went for the cord. Yeah I am a little off the wall. But anyway between that and the cord protector i have not had a problem. Also she grew up. I think keeping them in a kitten proof room is a great idea when you are not home to watch them.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 2:10pm PST 
I find that when kittens are confined in their own home, they will act crazy x 10 when they finally get out. I've had to confine one of mine for that last 8 days so he wouldn't pop a stitch and the minute I let him out it's nutty city. Is it possible to let the cats have free roam of the house? It may cut down on the destructive chewing a bit.

*That is of course after you've wire proofed the place wink Rusty has a great idea with the yucky tasting stuff.

Edited by author Sat Mar 5, '11 2:14pm PST

[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 4:44pm PST 
We used to use bitter apple or lemon on cords or anything an aniaml could or would chew on...it seemed to work as I recall.
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 8:26pm PST 
Rusty! I’m cracking up that you yell like your being hurt. That’s a good idea. laugh out loud

The Xbox headset wires she bites in half are very tin, so that’s how she is able to bite them in seconds. I’m usually not happy about it being they are twenty dollars each, but she is too cute to get mad at.

The kitties do stay in my room when I’m not home because I don’t want them going crazy and hurting them selves, or getting into anything bad. Once they are a bit older I’ll probably change that. They have a large cat condo, litter, food, TOYS, blanket areas, everything they could need in my room, they have more stuff than I do in there. They go in there by them selves to play or sleep when I’m home, I don’t think it bothers them too much.

I’m not sure what her deal is with the chewing she use to be really bad, but I think her teeth were coming in when she started with it. Hope this works!! Thanks guys

Oh, and as far as the spray goes i tried someting once, but it was horrible, it would stick in the room and sit in MY throat.. no good..
[notify]

Rusty

let no food bowl- be empty

Purred: Sat Mar 5, '11 11:15pm PST 
Yeah, I react to that bitter apple spray like it is mace or something. It makes me cough for hours. I hate it. Even though the x-box cables are thin you could still use the cable protecter over them. I think lemon juice is better that anything else.

You know, when I am not home my two cats, one 17lb, and one 9lbs, both have to stay locked up in one of the bedrooms. It is their room and has all the cat stuff in it like toys and cat tree and such. It is much safer for them.
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Sun Mar 6, '11 8:06am PST 
lol, I know. I trust them alone, but not while they are together. When Sammy was fixed, I let Damien run around out here while i was not home, but together they are wild and too crazy right now. naughty
[notify]

Cinders

I'm a lover not- a fighter.

Purred: Sun Mar 6, '11 9:57am PST 
My Cinders was also a cord addict! I recommend also trying to cluster them together as much as you can, and zip tie them together. Also try to rolling them up and suspending them high enough where she can't reach them. Cinders seemed to enjoy the Bitter Applethinking so I resorted to Tabasco rubbed on the wires. Even if it drys on, when they take a bite, they'll get a taste and take off! This seemed to really get the point across. A couple times of that should stop the problem but just be diligent with keeping them coated. Good luck!
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sun Mar 6, '11 12:37pm PST 
Training a kitten is a lot like training a toddler. You have to be vigilant. Simply applying a substance to the wire sounds like a great idea but oftentimes isn't enough. The fastest way to get what you want and not have to leave a yucky taste in your fur baby's mouth if you're hesitant about it is to watch her like a hawk. Follow her around a few days when you have off time. This will be your best results with allowing free roam of the house. I know it's like this terrifying leap of faith, but I really think the wire situation is destructive more than teething. When was the last time Sammy and Damien were allowed outside of your room during the day? They maybe have calmed down a bit? What exactly was the behavior that put the kitties into the room? Maybe we could provide some alternatives. I think your lil Sammy is trying to say something in her own catacular way.
[notify]

Samantha

Sammerstiltskin

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 6:11am PST 
Ive had them around 8 months. Until October I was working maybe 6-1pm, and that wasn’t every day I worked from home a lot. My company went out of business and I didn't start working until about a month ago. My hours are longer now I'm gone maybe 7 to 430 but my boyfriend usually is home by 130.
I had to take Sammy in when she was younger for the chewing she was pretty bad, she got to a bag and bottle of cleaning supplies because I forgot to shut the door to the room I put it in. She's 99 percent better now. Damien never had an issue and he use to be with wild one.
I keep them in my room because I don't want them getting into things and my room is perfectly kitten proof. I believe Sammy seems to think the wires are challenging her. If I’m plugging in my phone charger or have my laptop on the charger she will get excited and try to play with it. I think she believes they are toys. Once they are a bit older I will leave them out
I've spent hundreds of dollars on toys for them and I play with them all the time.. I keep them on the same schedule every day. There are a lot more wires in my living room and there isn't really a lot I can do to keep them from her. I don't go out a lot so really the only time they are in there is when someone is not home. I treat them like they are real kids... Christmas I even bought them a ton of presents and wrapped them under the tree for them. They are my first animals so they are overly spoiled, and always have more than enough attention.
I thought at the start it could be because Samantha was always my baby… When Damien was younger he was a mess, wild and crazy so I had to always tell him NO and what not. In fact I swear Damien tells me know when he is mad. Samantha was very sick when we first got her and I always spoiled her and treated her like a baby. She never really did anything for me to tell her “NO” about, so I think now she thinks she is a little princess and doesn’t have to listen to me.
Sammys new thing is shadows and lights, when cars drive by or she sees her shadow she will jump at the wall and go crazy.
I’m not sure why she does it, I think she just likes to chew on things, she will soak her toys with spit and I don’t think anything is wrong with her, she just likes to chew or play. While I’m not home everything in the room in unplugged.
I may try a new spray that doesn’t bother me, or stink up the entire room. I will also get the wire protector on my phone tonight. 
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2