GO!

Won't eat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tigger

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 6:13pm PST 
So my butthead of a cat won't eat his food. It's Acana chicken. I don't know why he doesn't like it because he's had it before and loved it! I've been using tough love to try and make him eat, but he's been losing too much weight and I don't know what to do with him right now. I don't really want to cave in and switch brands since he didn't even eat any of this bag, but I really don't know what else to do. I don't think there's anything physically wrong because he'll steal the dog's treats no problem, but if he still refuses to eat the next few days I'm going to schedule a vet appointment.

My dog is on raw right now and I've tried offering Tigger some sliced raw chicken, but he'll only take a bite or two before he stops eating that and I doubt he would eat any bones unless it was ground, and right now I don't have a grinder. He wont even sniff canned. shrug Any suggestions on what I should do?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 6:17pm PST 
What about premade raw? There are plenty of good ones out there. Stella & Chewy's is a good one and Nature's Variety. It has pre-ground bones. I would not wait too long if the kitty isn't eating. And tough love is not the way to go. It can take less than 48 hours for a cat to develop fatty liver disease from not eating, believe me, I know from experience. Cats are notorious for hiding illness and even if you think there may be nothing wrong, a lot of the times, there is.
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 7:41pm PST 
Not sure if he would like it and I don't think it's worth the price tag to take a gamble on a what-if. I would rather stick to kibble for now if I can because hes so picky until I can manage to convert him to 100% canned.thinking
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 8:13pm PST 
Im sure that any premade food, or any type of pet food you are able to take it back if your cat does not like it. You must make sure that your cat eats, get something into your cat now, or as Alex just said your cat is at high risk for Hepatic Lipidosis. Have you tried Merricks before grain kibble? or any other grain free kibble? Though trying to slowly introduce a wet food is best.
catinfo.org is a great site that will give you tips on how to do thisway to go
[notify]

Lucy

Crazy like a- fox...

Purred: Sat Feb 5, '11 10:26pm PST 
Have you tried giving him baby food? (Pure meat baby food -- make sure it doesn't have any onion or garlic in it.) It's imperative to get some food in him at this point, and a lot of cats will eat baby food when they won't eat anything else.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 6:37am PST 
Actually, if your kitty is not eating, you need to take him to the vet, and ask for an x-ray and CBC Wellness blood panel, and see, why, he is not eating. And, you should not wait more than him missing 2 meals, because if he is not eating, he may not be drinking, and can easily become dehyrated, which is very dangerous, and can cause him not to eat. big grin

Why, do you say, your butthead of a cat? Do you really dislike him? Is he really that much of a pain to you?
thinking
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 6:37am PST 
Hi there! All the foods that you've mention, including raw, are chicken. Is it possible that he is just sick of chicken? Maybe you could try a different protein source? I know that for some brands of kibble you can get small, sample bags. Also, pardon me for saying this, but why does your dog deserve raw food and your cat gets kibble?

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 3:16pm PST 
Hey now guys, I don't think she's trying to be mean to the kitty by calling him a butthead or not feeding him raw too. It sounded to me like he wouldn't eat the raw, and we all know how picky our silly kitties can be.

Hobie is not too into food at the moment either, but that's because he's got some medical stuff going on. When I'm really desperate to get him to eat I mix in a pinch of parmesan cheese into his food. It has a very strong odor and really attracts them in. I have not noted any ill effects from this.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 7:29pm PST 
You know, sometimes they change the way the food it put together or made. This has happned with a food my cats used to like and then didn't and then did again.
I would say at this point the important thing is that he eat...cats who stop eating can become very very sick. A would put down some baby food, see how he does with that, and if he is ok, then consider changing the food...and seeing if he does ok with another food. I know you have a bag of something that you spent money on...and believe me, I understand all too well! But it won't do him any good if he won't or can't eat it. Maybe there is something wrong with it and he can't tell you.

All the best
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sun Feb 6, '11 7:51pm PST 
Cats aren't the same as dogs, they don't like eating the same stuff every day. You have to switch flavors.
Cats sometimes refuse their own food after eating something better. Tigger thinks the dog treats are better. If you can, keep the dog treats away from the cat.
You also can't tough love a cat. The cat will starve himself to death. I never knew this until reading up on some obscure thing on raw nutrition. One would think that's the first thing a vet or a breeder or the adoption center would tell you right? So the whole "if the cat is hungry enough it'll eat" thing you can completely dismiss it. By the time the cat is starving enough, it's liver is in some trauma or something and he starts to throw up so much he can't eat.
Sorry about graphic content.
So kitty goes from 0-100 in no time flat. So Ive read. ANYWAY. I have a feral cat that won't eat anything after my husband gives her tuna like a dork but Merricks Before Grain in a can tuna seems to get her back on track. It stinks so bad.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2