GO!

Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Crookshanks

The Meowing- Sheltie

Purred: Tue Jan 4, '11 1:24pm PST 
Hi Everyone wave

We are looking into a way to get our animals drinking more water to help prevent urinary related problems later, especially for the kitty. I hear boy kitties aren't easy to treat for urinary stones.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain? I was looking around on the internet for information on fountains and this one seems best suited for our situation.

Some reviews say it's loud...but I'm not sure if that would be a problem since our house is pretty noisy anyways. We usually have a TV going and a dog or 2 playing/wrestling in the living room at all times. Anyone have any comments on the noise?

I know we would probably need at least 2 fountains...we have 5 dogs (Shelties - soon to be 7 or 8). My main concern with using the fountain just for the cat is...well, it would probably be nearly impossible to keep the animals away from each other's bowls. So, I figure we would do the fountain for ALL our animals (the dogs don't like the taste of our tap water much anyways).

Another question - I see they sell both charcoal and carbon filters for this model. Would it be that much better to use carbon even if we plan on using distilled water? shrug I was thinking maybe it would be better to use carbon because of all the dog slobber going into the water laugh out loud Of course, I could be mistaken that carbon is the better-cleaning one.

So, if there is anyone who has used these, or knows someone who has, please post your comments. big grin

Thanks!
[notify]

Louie- (1996-2013)

The love sponge!-

Purred: Tue Jan 4, '11 2:48pm PST 
Years ago we had a Drinkwell, but I ended up selling it because it was rather noisy, like a motor in a big toy car, and my kitties just wouldn't use it. They'd stare at it from afar, but would never get close. If your house is already noisy, I don't see a problem.

As for the filters, carbon and charcoal are exactly the same thing. The filters will definitely help keep the water fresh and goo free, so I'd recommend them even if you use distilled/bottled water. laugh out loud
[notify]

Ozzie

People lover

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 6:05am PST 
I have had the drinkwell in the past, and didn't like it very much. It was a super pain to clean.

Instead I have been using the Hagen Cat-it fountain which I love and the cats love. It's cheaper than the drinkwell and much easier to clean.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/cats/addinfo/catit_fountain.html

They sell it at petco and petsmart as well as plenty of places online.
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 6:24am PST 
We had a Drinkwell Platinum~ the noise did not bother me at all. I had it on a rug in our cat room~ so maybe that helped... I think if you are not to sensitive, it won't bother you.

I don't use the fountain anymore because it got slimy within days~ I would do a thourough cleaning in hot soapy water, but the slime always quickly returned. It has a lot of hard to reach & clean areas. You need to break it down at least once a week for a cleaning.

Also, I don't recommend using distilled water because of the lack of minerals. It is probably better for the fountain, but not for kitty~ they do require some minerals in their water smile
[notify]

Maus: DB- #53!

Good old- fashioned lover- boy

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 7:57am PST 
My meowmy bought the Drinkwell Platinum for me, because I have FLUTD and we kitties with FLUTD are sposed to drink a lot. After some hesitation at first I liked the fountain, but the plastic it's made of caused my whole chin to break out in ouchy sores, even with my meowmy dismantling and cleaning it every day.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 3:05pm PST 
My mom was also unhappy with the Drinkwell fountain. It was noisy, and it got worse as the water level dropped. Then a few months after buying it, it started leaking. Now she just keeps extra bowls of water around.
[notify]

Maggs

I want to go- MEOWT!!

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 10:54pm PST 
we have a Drinkwell and only 2 of us use it. Both of us liked to drink out of the faucet so Mom thought it might be a nice pawsent for us. It only gets loud when the water level drops so Mom just fills it per day. We like it!
[notify]