GO!

Flaky, almost crack paw pads

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Calypso

Sleeping Goddess

Purred: Sun Jan 2, '11 7:11pm PST 
My pawpads are just dreadful. They are flaky and dry and I am worried they might crack soon. My humans are putting this vaselene stuff on my paws, but it is not helping as quickly as they would like.

Any advice for a kitty who is close to being in a lot of pain? cry
[notify]

Calypso

Sleeping Goddess

Purred: Sun Jan 2, '11 7:12pm PST 
Oh yes, it is winter and I was just recently adopted, but I never go outside. They are also feeding me wet food in fish flavors just in case I need extra nutrients.
[notify]

Macy

Super- freakey----MEOW!

Purred: Sun Jan 2, '11 7:51pm PST 
Were you an outside kitty before you were adopted?

My fat fuzzy cat was an outside kitty for 10 years before we took him into his furrever home, and his pads were terrible! Flaky white and all callused up, I thought they would never heal. I was a bad mom and never put anything on them but over time they healed on their own and before he passed he had beautiful pink pads and you could see his freckles on them.

I am not sure what to put on them to heal them but if it is from being outside before he was adopted they should heal on their own.
[notify]

Ellie

Puurrr~

Purred: Sun Jan 2, '11 8:32pm PST 
I'm more experienced with the canine cracked paws so I looked up a few links for you which should help out a lot.

http://www.vetinfo.com/cracked-kitten-paws.html

http://www.as sociatedcontent.com/article/1818154/help_for_cracked_painful_paw_pad s_or.html?cat=53

I hope this helps a little. kitty
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sun Jan 2, '11 10:22pm PST 
Oh gosh, don't put anymore vaseline on there as it's made out of petroleum which is not good for cats at all. There's a condition some kitties get that can crack their paws like that. I'd seriously ask the vet about it, before it gets worse and the paws start cutting open. That's going to hurt! Or ask the vet at least what you can put on it. But no more vaseline, nothing at all with any mineral oil, etc. I know one thing for sure that's safe is if you buy some 100% clear aloe gel and you can use small amounts of that. It has to be clear and it should be fine. Holistic vets use it all the time. You can get that at Walmart or any drugstore.
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Mon Jan 3, '11 8:38am PST 
We were told to put Vaseline on our cats nose because it drys out in the winter. Also the first ingredient in hairball remedy gels is mineral oil.
[notify]

Calypso

Sleeping Goddess

Purred: Mon Jan 3, '11 9:26am PST 
They put vaselene on my paws twice a day and are giving me some wet food everyday...my paws are doing a little better...It is good to know that they will heal on their own eventually. I just have to wait it out. frown
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Mon Jan 3, '11 2:58pm PST 
Oy, I feel like a broken record with the vaseline thingy. No offense at all, I just wish more people understood that it's not safe for kitties at all! Purrcy's momma can tell you that also, she's a nurse. Here's some info on mineral oil:

Mineral Oil: An oil manufactured from crude oil, it's a mixture of liquid hydrocarbons separated from petroleum. When administered orally, a cat may aspirate (breathe in) the oil. Mineral oil binds the fat soluble vitamins A, D and E and carries them unabsorbed out of the body.

Ask any holistic vet and they will tell you the same thing. Clear aloe gel is safe as long as it's only 100% aloe gel, clear and nothing else. way to go
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Jan 4, '11 5:28pm PST 
You could use Crisco, fish oil out of a capsule, olive oil or butter and it wouldn't hurt him a bit! I actually think this will be ok on its own but you could try one of these...
[notify]

Calypso

Sleeping Goddess

Purred: Wed Jan 5, '11 8:47am PST 
Ohhh my mommy tried the olive oil. It felt nice and tasted yummy. She said that it was good for me too. Maybe I will ask her to go back to that, but we are going to the vet today cry so I will know what to do there.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2