GO!

Serious Problems with ZiwiPeak

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Thu Nov 18, '10 11:19pm PST 
Lucy has severe allergies and has been eating ZiwiPeak Daily Cat Venison food (looks like beef jerky) for 2 years, along with her wet diet of NB. My kitty Leo also eats some of the ZiwiPeak (both kitties eat a small amount about 5 times a week).

About 2 months ago, both cats developed what looked like chin acne. My other cat Charlie (who rarely touches the Ziwipeak) has barely been affected. Lucy and Leo's chins have both become severely infected, requiring multiple vet visits, testing, and treatment to try to figure out the problem. Both cats are miserable with their infections.

Two vets have examined them and both vets kept asking me if I had changed their food, opened a new bag, or could possibly be feeding them expired food. I assured them that there were no changes and I always check dates. I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be causing this (I don't use plastic bowls, am very clean, bowls are always cleaned between use, etc).

Tonight I made the connection. I did open a new bag of ZiwiPeak at the time this problem started. And it's about the only thing that Lucy and Leo are exposed to and Charlie is not. Bought 4 bags from Only Natural Pet at the end of August. Have two bags left, one opened and almost gone, and one unopened. They have the same batch number and have expiration dates of Nov. 2011. The unopened bag has a white powdery substance on the meat- I can see it through the clear plastic window on the bag. It looks like mold and there is a lot of it.

Is anyone else having problems with ZiwiPeak? I've emailed ZiwiPeak and Only Natural Pet with my concerns. I am going to take the unopened, moldy bag to my vet and then, I don't know. But I am not happy. I truly think that this is a bad batch and it has caused illness to my cats. Keep your paws crossed that taking this food out of their diets clears their chins and that no other cats get sick.

I am so disappointed in ZiwiPeak- I've always been so happy with them but something is wrong with this food. cry If you are feeding this food, please be careful and extra vigilant.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 4:19am PST 
Thank you very much for the timely warning! I was just about to order some of this from Only Natural Pet too, very disappointing! I hope that Lucy's and Leo's chin problems clear up soon!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 8:20am PST 
Whoa! Lucy keep us informed on what ends up happening and the batch number! My momma wants to warn everyone on her list! eek
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:25pm PST 
Lucy, We all hope things clear up soon for you! Please keep us posted as to how things go.
edited to ad this: do not throw the bag away. Do not give it back to the place you bought it from.Please send a small sample to the manufacture and have them test it. Save everything and let us know what your Vet has to say.You might want to put the bag into a lg trash bag.
hug

Edited by author Fri Nov 19, '10 5:30pm PST

[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:25pm PST 
Lucy, thanks for posting this! My three purr monsters are raw fed, but I do use the Ziwi Peak from time to time for treats. And in fact, like Shade, I was just about to order some more as they hadn't had it in awhile. Please keep us posted on what happens - I think the bag needs to be tested for mold or other issues and the company needs to be notified.
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:38pm PST 
Glad to have warned you in time, Shade and Olivia! I'm so disappointed with this company. I spoke with the US rep on the phone today and was disappointed to find her very defensive. I asked if she wanted the bag of moldy/weird food to test and she didn't want the bag (or even the batch number!) because, as she said, "We don't need to test it because we stand by our product." She blamed the mold on transportation of the food or some other contaminent and refused to even consider there could be something wrong with the food. She said because it's so healthy and natural with no perservatives, mold sometimes happens but it's very rare. I told her I'd found posts online from others who have moldy food from the same batch, she told me that in the last 4 years, there had been less complaints about mold "than I can could on one hand."

I would have so much more respect for the company if she had wanted the batch number and the bag and wanted to follow up, just in case. Why so defensive?! SO disappointing. I will not be feeding this food ever again. Oh, and she wouldn't give me a refund of money, just a new bag of food and an extra bag for all the trouble. No thanks! No more moldy food for my babies! I'll pursue a refund through Only Natural Pet Store. I will also be making a complaint with the FDA.

And here are photos of the weird moldy stuff visible on the food through a clear plastic window of an UNOPENED bag.

Bad food/Normally all brown/Notice the white moldy, powdery substance

Close up view of cat food covered in strange white, moldy substance

ZiwiPeak Daily Cat (Unopened Bag)

BB Date and Batch Number (Unopened Bag)

Edited by author Fri Nov 19, '10 5:39pm PST

[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:41pm PST 
Whoops, sorry everyone! This was my first time trying to imbed a photo in a forum post and I'm not sure why the photos are so gigantic! If you hit refresh, they will go away!
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:49pm PST 
Lucy I saved these pics onto my computer if that's okay so I can send out this info to people on my newsletter. Is that alright?
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:57pm PST 
I'm okay with that, Lacey. If you want to wait a couple of days before sending that out, I can see if Only Natural Pet contacts me back and we can see if Lucy and Leo's chins start to get better now that they are no longer eating/exposed to this food.

Also, I don't want to come across as angry with ZiwiPeak or the rep; it's obviously stressful for them to hear of problems with their food. However, I am VERY disappointed that she didn't even want the batch number or the food to test. I am concerned about the company's response.
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Fri Nov 19, '10 5:58pm PST 
I have more photos and can email you directly if the quality is better that way. Just let me know.

And P.S.- Both Lucy and Leo look better tonight. Coincidence? I doubt it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4