GO!

Diarrhea from Clindamycin

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Purred: Sat Nov 13, '10 7:30am PST 
Hi there,

I brought my foster into the shelter's spay & neuter clinic because of persistent bad breath. they told me she had inflamed gums and tartar, and prescribed a round of clindamycin for her for a week before her scheduled dental cleaning. Well, the medication has given her diarrhea, which she is tracking around a good portion of my carpeted home. I read that plain yogurt can help with this, so I've been giving her tiny portions throughout the day. Otherwise, what can be done about the diarrhea? She is otherwise eating and acting normally.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

I am a- CARNIVORE! Not a- Cornivore!

Purred: Sat Nov 13, '10 11:53am PST 
Hello there, canned pumpkin! Not the pie filling but regular 100% pumpkin. Get the organic one if you can, if not the regular is fine. Put a teaspoon in her food 2xs per day if she'll eat it. A lot of kitties do, we love it. Some don't though. But try that first, it's just pure fiber and regulates really quickly and well. way to go
[notify]

Purred: Sat Nov 13, '10 4:28pm PST 
Thanks for the suggestion. I will pick up some canned pumpkin tomorrow. Tonight, I'm trying brown rice, since it's all I have in the house other than the yogurt. I have to administer this medication to her until Thursday, so I hope, Hope, HOPE the diarrhea will clear up soon.
[notify]

Purred: Sun Nov 14, '10 1:12pm PST 
Hello again. I purchased some canned pumpkin this afternoon and added a teaspoon to the cat's food when I got home. She seems to like it, but her stools are still loose. I'm concerned for her, her pretty fur, and my carpet. How long does the pumpkin treatment typically take to work? Should I continue to feed her the yogurt, as well? She likes that, too.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Sun Nov 14, '10 2:07pm PST 
No, the yogurt may be what's making it worse. Believe it not, a lot of cats are lactose intolerant. What you should do for healthy bacteria is get this: http://www.heartypet.com/p-230-holistic-select-eagle-pack-transition .aspx. You may be able to find it at a local holistic pet food store. If they don't have it, ask them if they can order it for you and how long it will take. Otherwise, use this link. This is a chicken flavored powder that most every kitty I've ever seen goes nuts for. It's got mild probiotics and works very quickly. Use just a couple of sprinkles 2xs per day for a week and then lower it to once a day for a week, then once or twice a week. Especially with the antibiotics, she could really use this and I promise it'll firm that poop up in no time! In the meantime, just give her the pumpkin alone and no more yogurt. way to go
[notify]

Aura

I'm a delicate- flower!

Purred: Sun Nov 14, '10 8:32pm PST 
I wouldn't recommend the rice, but cooked chicken would help. Slippery elm helps, as do probiotics.
[notify]

Oliver (Ollie)

Tiny Terror

Purred: Mon Nov 15, '10 10:44pm PST 
Hi there,
Ollie had some gum inflammation a couple months ago and the vet put him on Clindamycin and it made him so sick. He didn't get diarrhea, but on the second day he vomited all day. He normally never vomits, but he couldn't even keep water down. I ended up taking him back in to the vet. They took back the remaining Clindamycin, gave him some sub-q fluids and gave him a shot of Convenia, which is an antibiotic that is good for two weeks. It's expensive - $70 for a shot, but it was totally worth it. He had no bad side effects and I didn't have to deal with giving him a pill, which is very difficult anyway. Obviously it's not a antibiotic that can be used in all situations, but I will definitely ask if it's an option the next time he needs one.

As far as the diarrhea goes, I like Fortiflora. It's a probiotic powder that you can sprinkle on their food. I can't get my cats to eat pumpkin or yogurt, but they both love the taste of Fortiflora and it's never failed to resolve their diarrhea issues. You use one packet a day. My vet charges about $1/packet. I've tried other probiotics, but they don't seem to work nearly as well.
[notify]

Finnegan- (Finney)

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 2:22pm PST 
Just so you know, Fortiflora has saturated animal fat in it and they don't specify which animal's fat it is! The Eaglepack transitions powder is much better and healthier. There's no need for some mystery animal fat in a probiotic.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Nov 16, '10 2:44pm PST 
Thank you, all, for taking the time to offer advice. The canned pumpkin seemed to run right through her, so I've taken her off that and began mixing a bit of brown rice with her food, again. I know one of you advised against the rice, but it seems to be working the best for her, thus far.

I finally got ahold of the vet today and they advised giving her half the required dosage twice a day, so I hope that improves things, as well.

I do have one more question: I've read that clindamycin can also cause drooling. I have noticed moisture on the kitchen floor (the only hard surface in my home) from time to time. I didn't think much of it, thinking I had dripped water on the floor from the sink, but the moisture is in more of a "spray" pattern. It can only come from the cat, because she did it again this evening and I wasn't anywhere near the sink when I spotted it on the floor. Could this be drool, or urine? If it were urine, I would be able to smell it, correct? Thanks for your input.
[notify]

Blue &- Tallulah *- adoptable

please adopt us

Purred: Wed Nov 17, '10 12:17pm PST 
I would call it saliva, yes smile when I give medications to the kennel cats n dogs they spit sometimes, so it may be that he doesn't Like the taste
[notify]