GO!

New kitty on the way :)

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Nike

I'm glad- everyone knows- who's in charge!

Purred: Wed Nov 3, '10 8:02pm PST 
Hi everyone smile We lost our boy, Nike, almost 2 years ago. He was an adult when we inherited him and he was an indoor/outdoor. We are getting a new kitten next week and I'm very excited, but nervous as I've never trained a kitten before and this guy will be indoor only. We are adopting a 6 month old kitten named Tommy from a farm. He is very tame and drawn to people, but has been living outdoors and is not trained. Any tips to make his transition to house cat easier, particularly litter training?
Also, I'd like to double check my list of supplies. I've got his carrier, litter box, litter and food. I've ordered a play structure, bed, toys and a collar and I've already got dental and nail grooming equipment for the dogs. Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance for any input smile
[notify]

Mischief/Tro- uble

Sleep, Eat,- Sleep, Eat...Ah- that's life!

Purred: Wed Nov 3, '10 10:12pm PST 
I have heard that at first it is easier if you use potting soil in the litter box to train a outdoor cat to become an indoor one. They are used to going in soil and will be drawn to it.

Good luck with you new little one!
[notify]

Fluff

Whatever it is,- I can break it!

Purred: Fri Nov 5, '10 10:04am PST 
It's Fluff. My sister and I are both semi-ferals who were brought inside to be housecats, coming up on three years. We were only about 3-4 months old, though, and were used to seeing our person when she fed us every day. We took to using the pan right away and have not made any mistakes. Our person did have another feral who needed a dash of dirt from outside on top of the litter at first so she knew what it was for. It sounds cleaner to use potting soil, but the real thing is better and has all the odors. There is also something called attractant that you can spray on the litter that says this is the right place.

The hardest problem we have had is that we still want to go outside and try to get out all the time. Also, we are very easily bored and tend to get into things a lot. Keep your little guy entertained and give him lots of affection--that is the best thing about being an indoor cat, that and the heating system!

Since your guy is older than we were, you will have to think about getting him neutered right away, as 6 mos is the age when the hormones usually start kicking in. If he starts to spray in the house, you will have a hard time cleaning those areas enough to stop him even after he is fixed.

Good luck and a long happy life together for you! wave
[notify]

Nike

I'm glad- everyone knows- who's in charge!

Purred: Mon Nov 8, '10 8:44am PST 
Thanks for the info smile Today's the day! We'll bring home a little soil from the garden he's used to for the litter box. We've got cat trees and toys all over the house, and the weather's supposed to turn cold, so hopefully our new guy will be happy to stay in! Vet today for first shots and an appointment will be made for his surgery. I'll be starting a page for him soon, too smile
[notify]