GO!

Trying to get fat cat to lose weight

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Ty

Purred: Thu Oct 21, '10 9:58pm PST 
Ty is 28 1/3 pounds. He was 30 pounds but I switched him to a canned and raw diet and he lost a little weight. He has now stopped losing weight. I think its because hes so lazy. How can I get him to move? He literaly sleeps all day and only gets up to eat and use the litter pan.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 12:02am PST 
Well you are off to a good start by feeding your cat wet and raw food.way to go
Now here is a great site that will tell you lots more on how much to feed, do not go by what the can says, it is always overstated.
Also remember this is going to take some time, you want to do this very slowly, as your cat will be at risk for hepatic lipidosis if he looses weight too quickly. You really need to try and play with your cat, and try and get your other cat to interact and play together. Some ideas are feathers or mice on strings, Lazer pens, the plastic thingys that come off of milk jug lids (my cats love to chase those), a cat tunnel. tin foil balls. I'll think of more, its late so hope this makes sense.
Here is the link http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 4:51am PST 
You have to look at what your feeding him, the wet, and how much you are feeding him. The wet should be grain free, as grains are carbs, which convert to sugar. As Shadow said, you have to be very very careful, you take it off very very slowly, or he is at risk for liver issues, which I don't wish that on anybody.

Being that he is that overweight, you really need to do his weight loss program with the help of your vet.

Take the wet food can, and a list of the raw you feed, and the cat into your vet. He can look at the calorie count on the can, and figure out how much he should be fed a day. With him being that much overweight, you really should not do this by yourself. Whatever your vet tells you to feed him per day, split that into 3 or 4 feedings a day, that way he will feel like he is being fed more.

Also as Shadow said, getting him to move around and play, mine love the laser light and the feather wand toys, will help him get some exercise. This is a long process and a long road, just be patient. Went thru that myself with Bump, and he only needed to take off 3 lbs. Best of luck. way to go
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 7:43am PST 
Yes and you have to remember also that 28 lbs for a cat is still very heavy! So that means he's going to have breathing problems and won't be running around playing like a kitten or even a healthy cat. But DEFINITELY do it slow like Shadow said and DEFINITELY go grain free and low carb like Bumpurr said. Those are the biggy steps that you've already taken, which applause, kudos to you by the way.

The cat tunnels are great like Shadow said. Anything that he can chase around like a feather on a string (just supervise at all times and don't leave it out after), maybe even consider getting him a harness and taking him for short walks out in front of your house. No one, even people, can lose weight by diet alone. (that would be great wouldn't it?) laugh out loud But you're on the right track! way to go
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 8:35am PST 
Also, understand that even with your best efforts, losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. Both cats here have been on a diet now (I'm 12 lbs, my brother is 15), and while my brother has lost about half a pound in the 10 months or so we've been on the same diet, I got to the aforementioned 12 lbs, when I weighed less when we started out (I weighed about 11 lbs). Mom tries not to get frustrated by it, and realizes that getting healthy for an overweight cat is a long journey... So if he's lost any weight on the diet, kudos to you both, and just keep going and be patient. More weight loss will come.

Edited by author Fri Oct 22, '10 8:37am PST

[notify]

Ty

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 10:21am PST 
I dont really dont want to go to my vet. The last time I did they put him on diet hills dry cat food. He was just gaining more weight on that so I did some reasearch and learned that canned and raw is way better than dry (especialy that crappy hills food). He only gets 5.5 ounces of food a day. He gets evo, evangers and meow mix. The raw he gets is chicken, beef, pork and turkey. He only gets 1.4 ounces of raw a day because I am still switching him over but I want to get him at 50% raw and 50% canned.
Neko will only once in a while play with ty. I actually got her so she ccould play with Ty. I got her when she was a kitten too. He will not walk on a harness. He is very scared of outside. He does not like lazer pointers either. He does like cat teaser toys. I will have to start playing with him every day. Any other ways to get him to move? Is there a way I can get Neko to play with him?
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 10:32am PST 
To get your two cats to play together you may have to be the middle man, just get between them with a toy and try and get them to interact with one another. Have you tried Wellness grain free wet food? Im pretty sure the Evangers and the meow mix has grains in it, so I would not feed that. Your cat the weight he is should be getting about 450 calories a day, though to loose weight and do this slowly, just feed a bit less, maybe start off with 450 calories then go down to 440 calories, once again very slowly. Is there a holistic vet in your area? you may want to go to one of those. I know how you feel we hate it when we go to the vet, and they shove a bag of prescription food at us, Yuck!!
[notify]

Ty

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 11:16am PST 
The evangers I get does not have grains. The moew mix does. I will look at my pet store for grain free wellness. I dont know if there is a holistic vet near me. I will have to look.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 12:10pm PST 
There are some Meow Mix ones without grains but by and large Wellness is a better quality food. If you want, I have a whole list of grain free foods and the flavors that are grain free on my website. www.ibdkitties.net. Click on the commercial foods link and scroll down. big grin
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Oct 22, '10 12:13pm PST 
Does Evangers now have a grain free food?? that must be new. I dont like the fact that they have a Vegetarian dinner for cats. mol!shock
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4