GO!

15 year old Cat Weight loss

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Sunshine

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 4:21pm PST 
Normal?
was 19 pounds now he is skin and bones limited income may have to euthanize
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 4:44pm PST 
No, it is not normal to lose that much weight shock Take your cat to the vet for a check up. Diseases such as diabetes can cause huge weight loss. Depending on what the disease is, it can be very managable if you are willing to help your cat.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 4:48pm PST 
Is he turning jaundiced yet? You may lose him soon to fatty liver disease if you don't do something. If you can't afford anything, call your vet and ask them if they'll take him and surrender him to them for proper care. A lot more vets are doing that now. He's not going to make it much longer at this rate. Why did you wait so long? You should always have a cat checked as soon as they start losing weight with no explanation for it.
[notify]

Felix-In- Loving- Memory

Uncle Felix

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 5:32pm PST 
Please take your kitty to the vet for testing. I am 13 and had just started losing weight, too. Had the vet test my thyroid (the test was not expensive). Turns out I am at the beginning stages of hyperthyroid, which is common in older kitties.

The good news is that I am being economically treated with daily medicine. I have been taking it for a month now and am steadily, gradually gaining weight. Please don't give up on your kitty now.
[notify]

Sunshine

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 5:43pm PST 
Thank you for your responses i will take him in and i wanted a good opinion cause i was gonna do that anyway he means to much to me to lose him he is my best friend
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Sep 20, '10 6:25pm PST 
I beg you to bring him to the vet quickly. I had fatty liver disease and it's painful and life threatening! It takes less than 48 hours of not eating to develop jaundice and fatty liver. The longer you wait, the more things get complicated and serious. Good luck, please keep us posted.
[notify]

Cody

Cody -

Purred: Wed Sep 22, '10 6:40pm PST 
I agree with the others. My mom had a beautiful Aby boy who was 5 years old who started to rapidly lose pounds and they found out that he was in kidney failure. Please if you haven't yet, see your vet.
[notify]