GO!

Fostering....the pros and the contras...help? please.....

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Sat Sep 4, '10 5:12am PST 
Hallo. good people and pussycats.....

I have put a new thread on Cat Health....re: fostering......but I have only had a couple of replies......perhaps it would be better here?

I am hoping to foster.....the 'Cats' Protection' people are coming to see me next week......

What I am worried about is ILLNESSES THAT I COULD PASS FROM THE FOSTERS TO MY CATS......Any thoughts on this from people who foster.......

I would SO LOVE to help the poor wee ones who do not have a forever home yet......BUT......

Jan
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 10:45am PST 
Hallo....Hi......I have this thread on here and one on 'Cat Health'.....I want to foster...but I need more information......I am sure there are more of you out there who foster......

Please help?

Jan
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Mon Sep 6, '10 1:48pm PST 
This is Delyte. We thought we were fostering these two gray kittens, but it was unofficial and then we got stuck with them! At least if you are fostering for an agency, you don't have to keep them forever if no one else wants them. Or do you?

We've never fostered, really, and our person has not been too careful with quarantining the new kittens when she gets them. I guess she has been lucky. We would assume that the agency would screen them for the big diseases, but some of the lesser diseases? We certainly would not take a kitten who had visible runny nose, eyes, rear end, was lethargic, felt hot, etc. Since you have a large house and can keep them separated, that is good. Not sure about how you would transfer germs. Can you invest in some rubber gloves and maybe those shoe covers to put over your shoes when you go into the room? You don't have to do this forever, just when you first get them. Wouldn't the agencies give you guidelines about this sort of thing?

Wonderful that you want to foster, but I bet it is going to be very hard to give them up. Especially the little black ones ... big grin
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Tue Sep 7, '10 9:32am PST 
Oh, dear, dear Delyte.......oh yes.....the little black ones.......

Jan
[notify]

Steinem - In Memory

Let\'s see what- we can get into- to

Purred: Tue Sep 7, '10 9:55am PST 
Hi Tambolina,

Regarding keeping the kittens confined for a while, you might want to be sure not to use the same litter scoop that you use for the big kits. You never know about cross transferring stuff like parasites.

Bless you for wanting to foster but I bet you can't give them up.laugh out loud
[notify]

Bailey- (Adopted!)

Bailey Booster- Boy

Purred: Sat Oct 2, '10 4:59pm PST 
If you have a room you can dedicate to your foster cats/kittens that would be great. I have fostered 8 kittens so far (and one dog who found a loving home), 5 of which have already found homes. Just keep your fosters and your cats seperate. They should have their own litter box, scoop, toys, bowl, beds. you dont want to risk them getting diseases. But it is very fun being a foster parent and you get a happy feeling when your foster gets adopted because you know you helped a little homeless animal. Hope all goes well with your fosters!
[notify]