GO!

Differences between raw feeding: Dog vs. Cat!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Kate (RIP- 7/20/10)

R.I.P. Sweet- girl.

Purred: Thu Aug 12, '10 7:29am PST 
In a week, I'll be moving in with my boyfriend and his timid little kitty, Elphie. She's almost 2 years old and has been fed cheap crud all her life, and my boyfriend's given me permission to become her "nutrionist" persay laugh out loud. I already feed my dog a prey-model diet, and I'd like to try to at least feed Elphie partial raw. I know cats are awfully picky, and with Elphie being so scared of everything, it'll be a struggle, but I have to try!

So, I just want to know if there are any basic differences between raw feeding a dog and raw feeding a cat.
-Is the ratio the same? 80/10/5/5
-What bones can they chew?
-Any proteins I need to steer clear from?
-Do I have to introduce proteins/organs in the same delicate manner?

Thanks for any answers you can provide me with!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Aug 12, '10 7:50am PST 
Hi there! I'll try to help you with some of your questions:

-Is the ratio the same? 80/10/5/5
Yup, same ratio

-What bones can they chew?
Small fowl and rabbit bones are the best. You can go for chicken wings, drumsticks, necks and backbones, game hen quarters, most rabbit bones, some duck bones, and then there are whole prey items like chicks, mice, quail, and young guinea pigs. I think many people start with chicken wings because they are so easy to get and pretty cheap, but my boys have never liked them. I personally feed mostly chicken necks, game hens, and rabbit bones. One can also feed ground meat/bones/organs to get bone into the diet of a cat who is unwilling to chew on rmbs.

-Any proteins I need to steer clear from?
Not unless your cat has some sort of allergy. IMHO, the more varied the diet, the better off the cat is.

-Do I have to introduce proteins/organs in the same delicate manner?
Well, you can try chicken first if you like, but be aware that some cats don't like chicken overly much (e.g. my guys until just recently), so you might have to play around to find something that Elphie likes. It may be best to try 1 protein source at a time, but if she's been eating a variety of protein sources in her cat food, you'd know if she had any sensitivities.

Just know that if she is currently eating only kibble, you'll probably have to transition her to canned before you can get her to eat raw meat.

Purrs and best of luck,
Shade
[notify]

Kate (RIP- 7/20/10)

R.I.P. Sweet- girl.

Purred: Thu Aug 12, '10 11:19am PST 
Thank you Shade for the detailed response smile. I really hope she takes to raw! I'm moving up with a case of tripe, a case of ground venison/10% bone chubs, and a bunch of chicken quarters. I may break off a drumstick and see what she thinks.

So pork and all that red meat is okay? Sorry for repeating myself but I remember someone saying once that I shouldn't raw feed a cat a lot of fish or any pork.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Aug 12, '10 2:29pm PST 
Hi again. Yes, red meats are perfectly fine for cats. In fact, they contain a lot of taurine which is an essential amino acid for cats. My boys love beef and lamb, oh and beef and lamb heart too.

You are correct in that you don't want to feed too much fish, maybe once a week at most. If you want to feed fish try for something high in the Omega oils, like salmon or sardines. I personally don't feed a lot of fish. Maybe once every 2 weeks I'll give them the canned Weruva formula that has trevali & barrimundi (forget the name). Others feed canned sardines in water or salmon.

For the pork question - many people here feed pork. I've only fed it a few times, but I've recently discovered that Smudge totally loves the stuff, so I might add it in as an occasional item. I believe that you need to freeze pork for about 2 weeks before feeding it raw, but I've also heard that any pork you can get in the grocery store has already been frozen. The plusses and minuses of pork are something you have to decide for yourself, but you can get by fine without it.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Kate (RIP- 7/20/10)

R.I.P. Sweet- girl.

Purred: Thu Aug 12, '10 4:20pm PST 
Sounds wonderful smile. Thanks again!
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Fri Aug 13, '10 8:43am PST 
Kate, Shade already has you covered, but just wanted to say welcome and good luck! The biggest thing you need when converting a cat to raw is patience!
laugh out loud
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Sat Aug 14, '10 12:27am PST 
I dont feed raw but I did want to say that you need to make sure she dosnt have any kibble 12hrs before or 12hrs after a raw meal due to digestion issues. So definatly get her to eat some canned food, this way she can still eat something if she doesn't quite take to the Raw.

I did take the kibble away for 13 hours(replaced it with a canned meal) and tried a slice of raw meat (really it was about the size of a nickel) with my cats earlier this week. one touched it with her nose then hit it with her paw and walked away uninterested. The other just stared at me like I was an idiot. However the smell of that did make them both eat their canned breakfast. So I think my job was done. AnnaBelle has been picky about eating her canned food, which is why we still have kibble around.

good luck with your switch, since you are already a confident Raw feeder I think youll do great way to go
[notify]

Kate (RIP- 7/20/10)

R.I.P. Sweet- girl.

Purred: Fri Aug 27, '10 6:11pm PST 
I'm all moved in now and we're trying to take some steps towards raw! Elphie has no problem with canned food so I tried a few raw samples of ground venison. She had zero interest. Today I opened up a tin of sardines in water (no salt added) and she seemed to really like it. However, she doesn't really know how to be a carnivore! She only uses her tongue (won't grab chunks in her mouth), and I had to chop the sardines up into a mush for her to eat it.

Hoping she'll adjust at least enough for her to have an occasional raw meal. Any advice for other things to offer?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Aug 28, '10 5:48am PST 
There's a couple of things you could try. You could add a tiny bit of the ground meat you have to her canned and gradually increase the amount. Or you could find something she really likes - say she loves chicken. You could start with tiny pieces and gradually increase the size. Or start with cooked chicken and gradually decrease the cooking time. The harder part will probably be getting her to eventually eat bones. Once she's eating the raw meat she'll have to build up her jaw strength to handle bone. Start with tiny bones and cartilage - like Cornish hen ribs. Hope this helps!
[notify]

♥- Socko- ♥

Beware the lean- mean sock thief!

Purred: Sat Aug 28, '10 8:51am PST 
I didn't know that cats could eat red meat. Wow, it makes me want to try to give one of my three lovely kitties a hamburger lol! big laugh
I'm just kidding, but hey, I have another question. How many low calorie temptations cat treats should I give my kitten? He is NOT at all overweight, actually maybe a little underweight, but this kibbles are less than one calorie per bit and my kitten Socko (age: 2 months) gets a pretty good amount of these. He has a little bit of a problem with chewing them, but whenever I put away the bag of treats, he just follows me, points his ADORABLE face at me, and meows. It really makes me tempted to give him more! Is it okay if I do this? Is it good for the kitten himself.
-Socko's mom.
[notify]