GO!

Constant Cat Crying

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Rex

Purred: Wed Aug 4, '10 7:14pm PST 
For the past two weeks I have been struggling to deal with my cat's new vocalizations. He has always been a crier but never to such extremes. Lately whenever I am home he is being vocal and his tail twitches in agitation. At first, I thought he might be sick but he's been drinking/eating/going to the bathroom normally from what I can tell. He's also still active. I make sure to play with him several times a day though that doesn't seem to keep him quiet. While I'm petting him or feeding him or playing with him he will be calm and not cry, but generally a little bit after I stop, he'll start up. I've tried giving him cat hairball remedy in case that is the problem with no noticeable changes. I'm in desperate need of help.

Other facts about him - He's an indoor long haired kitty with two other cat siblings he's lived with from birth. I am in the process of moving which is the only other thing I can think of that might be making him act up so badly.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Aug 5, '10 1:58pm PST 
Hi Rex,

I can't say for sure but my guess is Rex is stressed due to the move. You could try Feliway, which comes in a spray and a diffuser, to help calm him. You also want to be careful not to reinforce the behavior you don't want, so if you can, try to ignore him (I know it's hard smile ).

Here's a link to a cat behaviorist's website: http://catbehaviorassociates.com/ and check out her tips. Maybe there's something there that can help?

I hope this helps!
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Thu Aug 5, '10 5:53pm PST 
There are also anti-anxiety meds that you can give him for a short time---also known as "kitty prozac."
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Thu Aug 5, '10 9:58pm PST 
I would have to agree with what has already been said. Moving can be very stressful to all involved. That being human and pets alike. The vet can defiantly get you the kitty Prozac. But if you do not want to go that way, you should give the plug in a try or get one of the calming collars. Also see about getting http://healing.about.com/od/floweressences/a/rescue-remedy.htm as I have been told by a lot of people I talk to, that it does work.
Please keep us updated as to what you decide to do and if it is working.
hug
[notify]

Rex

Purred: Fri Aug 6, '10 5:46pm PST 
Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try the Feliway and see if that works before taking things further. Luckily I move in about two weeks so hopefully he'll feel better after that happens!
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Sat Aug 7, '10 4:54am PST 
It may take him about 2-3 weeks after you are moved in and settled to fully calm down, especially if he is already stressed.

If you have enough overlap time being at both places you can try what we did when we moved. Before we moved ANYTHING into the new house we brought the kitties over with their carriers. The only other things we had set up was a litter box and a water bowl. we let them walk around on their harnesses at first while we watched them explore. Once we fixed the couple places they tried to get into to hide we let them off for a while while we were doing some things at the new place. We came back with them about 3 different days for about 1-3 hours each time. The subsequent days we brought some of our belongings with us. This made them feel more at ease.
Another thing we did was the actual day we moved we put them up in the petsmart pet hotel so we KNEW they were safe and secure and wouldn't get stressed or escape.

Maybe you can take some of what we have tried to help you out.
[notify]

P.C.

aka, Squeeker,- Toeboy or- Perfict Cat

Purred: Sat Aug 7, '10 1:44pm PST 
AnnaBelle, That is a great idea! I am glad that worked for them and you.
I will try and remember that the next time we have to move. But I hope we will not have to any time soon.
[notify]