GO!

Leaving Kitten alone for 3 day

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Tom

Purred: Thu Jul 29, '10 11:10am PST 
Hi, I have been nursing an orphan kitten for nearly 3 weeks now. I believe he is roughly 6 weeks old altogether. My question is, I'm going away for 3 days and have a cat sitter to come by once a day to check on Tom (I have also 3 other cats, Boo Boo, Scooby and Biddy). Anyway, Tom is residing in the bathroom with toys, litter, food, water and comfy bed.

Do you think he will be ok??
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Jul 30, '10 4:26am PST 
At 6 weeks old, he should still be fed more than once a day, and I don't believe he is old enough to be eating all dry yet, in the ideal world, he would not even be weaned yet. big grin

Kittens are also little terrors on wheels, mol, their mission is to find something to get into, mol. Too much can happen, in between the pet sitter just coming once a day, and G forbid, he gets into trouble, its another 24 hrs before he gets any help.

My 2 kittens were 12 weeks old, and I went to a show, was gone Fri-Sun, came home to 2 sick kittens, as the pet sitter at the time, gave them adult food, instead of kitten food, and thats 12 weeks, not 6 weeks, and my sitter was there twice a day.

If you really have to go away, I would ask the pet sitter to come twice a day, and see if one or some of your friends, that you trust, or family members, would be willing to stop by a few times a day, to check on the kitten. Best of luck with whatever you decide. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Fri Jul 30, '10 3:36pm PST 
Another option is to put the kitten in a pet hotel for the 3 days. We stay at Petsmart's pet hotel every time our furless ones have to go away for a couple of days. Its $16 a day, and if you pick up by noon you dont get charged for that day. They can feed the kitten multiple times a day and she will have a kitty cottage with 3 levels to play in. They also take kitties (who are willing) out one at a time into a play room with a sofa where they get cuddles and string toy time. This is great for socialization too. I do not know if 6 weeks is under their age limit, so youll want to check with them but we have stayed with our petsmart hotel many times and just love it. Its much better than the time we had to stay at the vet office overnight!
[notify]

Tom

Purred: Fri Jul 30, '10 6:55pm PST 
Thanks guys! Yeah gonna have the sitter come by twice a day! They are really cat peopl, stay at 40mins or more with the baby! I have my sister come by as well! I think my calculations are wrong with his age...he is nearly weaned off the formula...just likes it before he settles down! Other than that he drinks water, kitten formulated wet food and kitten dry food! I even asked my vet and he said its ok as long as tom is in a safe room and the sitters come by!

I have 3 other cats that have now welcomed tom, and I do love this dude! 4 cats now..never thought I'd see the day...but an even number is good I think! They all have a buddy now!

Thanks again! Love this site!
[notify]

AnnaBelle

Supervisor cat - is not amused.

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 2:37pm PST 
That sounds great. Call me paranoid but I would call the sitter every day just to make sure they *DID* go over and find out how he and the other kitties are fairing. Plus if he is having some stress the kitty sitters can put you on speaker phone and your voice may help calm him. way to go Have good and safe trip though!
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sat Jul 31, '10 6:59pm PST 
I'd still want a full time caretaker for a kitty that small. Little kittens are so fragile (and by little, I mean under 12 weeks) that even if the time in between visits is a few hours, those hours could be critical if something goes wrong. You said you're having a cat sitter and your sister check on your cats. Can't you bribe your sister to maybe stay in your apartment for the duration? It sounds like it would be a long weekend, and even if she has stuff to do, she'd be there at least part of the day, which would be a lot better insofar as making sure the wee kitty is ok (bonus: one time my SIL stayed with our cats while we were on vacation for a week. She said she never felt more loved or appreciated in her life... usually timid Boris even slept with her in the guest room and purred up a storm or two for her! laugh out loud laugh out loud)
[notify]