GO!

how long can canned food sit out?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Tue Jun 22, '10 11:02am PST 
I was wondering how long I should let canned food sit in the bowl before I take it up and throw it out?
[notify]

Matty

Rescue cats- rule!

Purred: Tue Jun 22, '10 1:10pm PST 
my rule of thumb is when it dries out. Matty will generally come back and nibble at a bowl of wet food until most of the moisture is gone. Mind you, I don't let it dry completely, I throw it out generally when it looks as if it's getting dry. You could also throw it back it the fridge with some foil over it, if you think your kitty will want it later. Cats have shorter intestinal tracts than we humans, and are able to eat and drink stuff that would give us the runs or worse. But as I say, my rule is to toss it when it starts drying.
wink
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 23, '10 4:35am PST 
Dried out canned food is still ok to eat. After 10-12 hours it should be tossed.
[notify]

Sylvester

Purred: Wed Jun 23, '10 5:40am PST 
we used to have it sit out all day for my foster that had hyperthyroid and didn't have any teeth and never had any problems.
[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Wed Jun 23, '10 6:42am PST 
Oh ok wow I have been tossing it after just a few hours. Glad I asked! I would have wasted a lot of food!
[notify]

Leia

Princess Leia

Purred: Wed Jun 23, '10 7:02am PST 
really...10-12 hours? hmm this may make it easier to give my kitty even more wet food than dry since I am not home during the day..yay!happy dance
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Jun 24, '10 4:54am PST 
Since Bumpurr looks at things differently, and he is on the overly pickey side, mol, how much are you feeding, and how much is he actually eating before he walks away, and what are you feeding. big grin

Once he has eaten what he is going to eat, it should be picked up, especially in this heat, I really would not let it sit all day. Think it is Shadow who knows all about this, he is always saying about how fast bacteria grows. big grin

If he is walking away from food and leaving it there, he either does not like it, or he has eaten his fill, he is just a kitten. Mine eat theirs in about 5 min, if it takes them that long, and Bumpurr's worst time, when he had to be on canned for a few days, was 30 min.

I would figure out if he just doesn't like it, or if he has eaten his full. Ideally kittens should be fed several small meals, ya don't want to teach them to eat until they puke, or ya don't want them one day, too fat.
Most do 3 meals, before work, after work, before bed, if one is lucky enough to not have to work, or can work from home, they will do 4 meals, but most of us have to do 3.

Figure out what he should get, per day, based on the guide for his age and weight, and the calorie count, on the side of the can, this is just a guide, a place to start, you adjust up or down, then divy this into 3 meals. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Thu Jun 24, '10 8:36am PST 
I am giving him about half of the teeny cans at a time. We have tried Wellness and Merrick. He seemed to love both of them, and he eats them fine. He just seems to nit-pick at it a lot. He doesn't just sit down and eat it all at once. He takes a few bites and then wants to cuddle or play with me. If I take him back to the food dish, he will eat a few more bites before he comes back for attention.

According to the can, he should be eating two of the really small (not 5.5oz but smaller) cans per day I think, but he is certainly not eating that much. He was eating dry food at the shelter, so I thought maybe he wasn't used to canned and he has dry food left out in the bowl as well, but he has hardly touched it.
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Thu Jun 24, '10 12:31pm PST 
My little piglets would never let any canned food sit out for longer than about 10 minutes MOL! TiggerBaby who is the kitten of the household has been getting about 1/4 of a 5oz can 3-4 times a day, she usually eats it all in one sitting. I try to keep mine all on the same schedule so they don't eat constantly as that can be hard on their pancreas.
[notify]

Maddox

purrmonster

Purred: Thu Jun 24, '10 2:18pm PST 
He has eaten it all in one sitting a couple of times, but he seems to "busy" to eat lol. I have only had him for a few days now, so maybe his eating habits will become more regular as he gets more used to things.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2