GO!

Time to say goodbye?

This is a special place for cats to share their love and support for each other during difficult times; it's a place to light candles, give a "get well purr" and let everyfur know they are never ever alone.

Tyrone

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 3:38pm PST 
Where to start...I'll write this for Tyrone as he seems to prefer napping over typing at the moment. Tyrone is 17 and has been with me since he was 6 weeks old. Earlier this year he started having seizures...one here, one there, sometimes a couple of weeks between them and sometimes only a day. He takes about 1/2 hour to come out of it then seems perfectly normal...wanting petties and purring up a storm. He has lost some weight, he's down to about 9.5lbs from 16lbs. I've started feeding him wet food to help him out and he still munches on the hard stuff too. He uses the litterbox as per usual and still coughs up the occasional hairball.

When do I say enough? I've always said after the next seizure...but then I never go through with it. I just don't want him to go through a huge one...or worse yet not to come out of one normal. I think now is the time...it just sucks.

Thanks for listening.
[notify]

Mr. Sister - In Loving- Memory

I'm a Good Boy - I love my mommy

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 4:38pm PST 
Just a note to say your mommy will know when it is your time.

I lived to be 17 with diabetes and cancer. I finally had a stroke and mommy knew it was time.

It is hard because like you she had me since I was 6 weeks old, but time heals, even though she still tears up when she sees my picture. Purring for you.

Blackie

Mmmmm Money

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 11:43pm PST 
Tyrone, we are purring for you.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Tue Jun 15, '10 9:38am PST 
This is Delyte. I am 15 years old, and have hyperthyroid disease and bad kidneys, as well as infected teeth, an ear infection and a shortened intestine from having a tumor removed 5 years ago. So I am definitely on my last life.

Do they know why you are having seizures? Do you have any medication to prevent it? The loss of weight [I used to be 14 lbs and am now down to 9.3] can be from kidney disease and hyperthyroid as well as other diseases of old age. Some of these can be treated and the symptoms alleviated. Not all are painful. You and your person will have to agree on when it is time to say goodbye, but if there are things that can be done to make you more comfortable and make your old age a happy one, you need to decide what's to be done and if you can do them. All old cats sleep a lot, so that's not so bad in and of itself.

I will be getting surgery to fix my teeth in a couple of weeks. It might send me to the Bridge, but my person did not want me to live this long life in pain, and I don't seem to be able to take the pain medication--they make me sick to my tummy and I stop eating. If they can get the infected teeth out and clear up the infection, then I will be out of pain and good for a little while. Purrs to you and hope your people will think about your conditions and quality of life carefully.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Tue Jun 15, '10 11:05am PST 
I had to make this decision with my cat CreamPuff. She was 18 years old....when she tried to stand, and meowed in pain, then lost control of her bowels and bladder (this within a few days), I knew it was time to say goodbye.

I took her to the vet, and she agreed, it was time for me to let Puffy go. She had had a long life, and I owed her this. The vet gave her a shot, and as I held her her little kitty heart stopped beating.

However, if your cat seems to come out of the seizures and then eats, uses the litterbox, etc.....try asking your vet about meds to control the seizures. Saying goodbye is the hardest thing for a pet owner to do....but you will know when Tyrone is ready to leave for the Rainbow Bridge. By the way, he is a very handsome cat.

Purrs and Hugs,
The New Orleans Kitties and meowmy Fayehug
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Tue Jun 15, '10 3:23pm PST 
Tyrone will probably tell you in his way. You won't have to ask the question," Is it time?". Ben stopped eating and drinking. His diabetes was controlled but his cancer was too large for food to be inside him.
The vet couldn't believe how big it was. Tyrone is sleeping as an old cat will sleep. Have him checked out for the meds and seizures. His weight loss is a concern...vet time....Take care and we wish both of us...well....
[notify]