GO!

Two cats- One skinny, One FAT!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ben

Captain, USS- Carnivore

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 5:35am PST 
We have two cats both between 4 and 5 years old and both are neutered males. One cat, Ben, is lean, muscular and at the perfect weight. Charlie on the other hand is heading towards obesity. We have become very concerned about his health. Right now they each get 1/2 can wet in the morning and 1/2 can at night with dry kibble available between. Ben usually only eats half of his wet food when I put it down. I suspect Charlie is finishing Ben's uneaten food. Each cat has his own bowl and knows his own bowl. My question is how can we get Charlie to slim down without starving Ben? We try to get Charlie to exercise but he would rather sleep on the couch! Ben is on the go non stop. Any advise?
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 8:34am PST 
I have this same problem with Tasha & TT. TT does not finish his food, so Tasha moves in and finishes it. At this point I don't leave food down unsupervised, that way I can watch how much Tasha eats wink
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 8:50am PST 
Hi there, are Charlie and Ben on grain free cat food? If not, I would seriously think about switching. Grains turn to sugar and sugar causes obesity. I know part of it is Charlie scarfing Ben's food so you may want to think about putting their food dishes in seperate rooms. That will at least deter Charlie from going straight for Ben's food. When getting Charlie to lose weight be very, very careful to do it SLOWLY as it's very easy to get fatty liver disease. That's what happened to me. I was very overweight and got IBD and fatty liver because of it. You may want to check out my mom's website she dedicated to me. There's a lot of good information about overweight kitties and the diseases they can get. www.ibdkitties.net. I'd suggest reading the About IBD, Valuable Info and Fatty Liver pages.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 9:07am PST 
Its probabably hard to supervise if say you have to go to work or something. This kinda sounds like my situation, my cats know each others bowls, but one always leaves his for a bit to come back later, though im usually here to make sure my other cat wont eat the other cats food. What I would do, and the most healthy thing to do is cut out the dry food. When feeding any kind of dry food it is most difficult for your cat to loose weight. Did you know that a cats digestive system needs 12 hours inbetween feedings, this gives the food time to digest, and is much easier on their pancreas, thus its not being loaded by food all day, which is not natural, and this is one reason that cats get obese, and get diabetes. As the other Catster said a grain free wet cat food is good. Not sure how much Charlie weighs but if you use the formula on the site called catinfo.org that is my suggestion. It is under the part about obesity. Also try to get Charlie off the couch.way to go Some ideas are laser pointers, mousies on string, or ping pong balls.shrug
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 9:19am PST 
Great advice from Alex & Shadow!

I should have mentioned that I do work full time big grin

I just don't leave food out when I am not home way to go

*edit for spelling red face

Edited by author Thu Jun 10, '10 9:22am PST

[notify]

Ben

Captain, USS- Carnivore

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 4:05pm PST 
Thanks for the pawsome advice. Ben and Charlie are on Pet Guard which is organic, free range meat with no additives or hormones and no rendered meat. Both have soft shinny coats from it. When we first adopted Charlie, he was eating stuff like Friskies and 9 Lives at the shelter. His coat was course and dull. We have tried laser pointers. Charlie used to love it! Then he figured out that no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't catch the thing! He just lost interest. We can get him to occasionally play with mice but we have to supervise him- he eats them!!! What I started doing today is after they finish eating, the remainder of the food gets thrown away. I think Ben will learn fast that he needs to eat his portion right away. I also reduced Charlie portion size by 1/3rd. They do in fact get fed 12 hours apart!Glad I was doing that! I also reduced the dry kibble to 1/2 cup only. Both have dental issues. Just try brushing a Bengal cats teeth! No Way!! I don't want to totally eliminate the hard crunchies. Ben loves to chew and crunch things. Someone once told me there was an enzymatic paste they could just lick for their teeth but I couldn't find it. Anyone know what it might be? I'm open to any other suggestions/feedback. Thanks
[notify]

♥- Tasha- ♥

Cat; I'm a kitty- cat!

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 6:16pm PST 
Have you tried any wand toys? We looove the Go-Cat toys "Da Bird" and "Cat Catcher"~ paws down our favorites!! Tasha & TT also get discouraged with the laser when they can't catch it, but with these toys they get some satisfaction big grin
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 8:40pm PST 
What mommy does for us is separates us into different parts of the kitchen, if needs be she will put one of us in the bathroom to eat. It works great as then she can monitor exactly how much we are eating and keep our figures slim. Bumpurr (a kitty here) has mentioned in the past that he eats in a cat carrier that way they are easy to feed/separate/ and monitor their intake, and easy for going to cat shows. Mom is trying to figure out where to put 4 cat carriers so dad wont' get annoyed with them, she is thinking of buying a couple more of the soft sided kind of ones from walmart then lining them up in front of the tv, then we can go in and out as we please as well, just zip them shut when it's feeding time.
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Thu Jun 10, '10 11:52pm PST 
How long are you leaving the wet food down for? I would not throw it away, just put it back in the fridge, it will be fine. 1/2 cup of dry food plus the wet seems to be alot to me. If your cat is 13lbs times that by 13.6 and add 70, this will give you 247 calories a day that your cat should be fed. Look on hte can or bag, and see how many calories are in the food. Hard crunchies of any sort will not clean your cats teeth, this is a fallacy, it would be like your dentist telling you to eat Cheetos to clean your teeth. When a cat bites on the food the kibble shatters and gets up into the gumline getting stuck thus causing the problems that cats get with gingivitis,etc at the gumline. There is cats toothpaste available at the vets that is ok, but the ingredients are not very good. There is a product you can get that is called Petz Life Oral care gel, you can get it at smaller pet stores usually, and it works quite well with tartar, and bacteria. All you do is use your finger to put it on, there is also a spray, but I dont think a cat would like a spray. kitty
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Fri Jun 11, '10 7:13am PST 
Hi Ben wave

I like your motto "Captain: USS Carnivore" way to go

I just wanted to reiterate what Shadow said about the myth of dry food cleaning cat's teeth. Dry food won't improve your kitties dental health. Here is a link to an article by a vet which discusses this concept and looks at studies. If cats have serious tartar, dental cleanings by a vet are recommended (and also home care and using products like Shadow discussed).

Does dry food clean the teeth? click here

Quote from Dr. Jean Hofve:
"One myth that is completely false is the notion that "dry food cleans the teeth." The best that can be said for dry food is that it may produce slightly less tartar than canned food. Cats eating only dry food can and do develop the same dental problems as cats who "never touch the stuff." One study showed that food itself is completely irrelevant; cats developed tartar even when fed by stomach tube, with no food passing through the mouth at all!"

Purrs and best wishes...

Edited by author Fri Jun 11, '10 7:41am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2