GO!

Feline Asthma

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 10:04am PST 
Hi everyone,

TT was just diagnosed with mild feline asthma. He has an asthma attack very infrequently and shows no other symptoms.

The vet took x-rays that showed inflammation, gave him a shot of anti-inflammatory and a weeks worth of antibiotics. The vet advised to keep an eye on him.

When I suspected asthma, I joined a yahoo group FAR (feline asthma relief)to gather information. When I told them what the vet said, everyone in the group gave me responses like this one:

"Are you saying that you're not going to start TT on Flovent? If asthma is present and it's left untreated on a continual basis, it will only get worse over time. If it truly is mild asthma, beginning Flovent will keep it at that level. It's a big, big mistake to not begin TT on Flovent. I've witnessed this same scenario time after time, where there is a cat with mild asthma and the vet says to keep an eye on it. Then, since the inflammation continues to build, the mild asthmatic becomes a moderate/severe asthmatic with lung damage, requiring a lot more medication than the mild asthmatic would have."

I don't know what to do. Does anyone here have a cat that uses Flovent?

I guess I need to do some more research....
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 11:03am PST 
My Mom knows a kitty named Bryn who has asthma. Bryn's Mom looked in to the Flovent, but it is very expensive (around $200)so for now she just gives Bryn Singulair (that was another option Bryn's vet gave).
[notify]

Sammie

little stinker

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 12:06pm PST 
Hi T T, i found out yesterday that i have a mild case feline asthma too. all my vet did was a couple x-rays, & bloodwork( cbc and feline heartworm antibody test.) he put me on Prednisone, 1/2 tablet twice day for the 2 weeks, then 1/2 once a day for the next to weeks. then we go give him a update, he is surpose to call later today with the rest of my bloodwork, i will ask him about about Flovent. any questions feel free to pawmail us.

sammie
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 12:19pm PST 
I got the UK version of a flovent inhaler for my cat today, called Flixotide. He doesn't exactly have asthma but a chronic bronchitis type condition (+ heart disease) which has similar symptoms to asthma. I paid £28 (roughly $42), and I had heard that the inhaler medicines are much more expensive in the US. If your cat has to be on long term steroids for asthma, then the inhaled medicines are much better for him than oral steroids or steroid injections (which are most likely to have side effects with long term use.
I recommend you join the yahoo group feline inhaled medicines as it's very informative and has helped me a lot. It has a database which has answers to lots of frequently asked asthma questions and can help ou decipher what level of asthma your cat has (mild/moderate/severe) and what sort of dosage is best for each level.
I suppose it all depends on how frequently the asthma attacks are but the asthma will most likely progress without treatment and it's best to prevent the attacks as attacks cause inflammation in the lungs and lead to more lung damage and therefore more attacks.
I know that a lot of the members of that group get their medicines from a certain online pharmacy in Canada (www.4cornerspharmacy.com), where you don't need a prescription and the inhalers are much less expensive to buy.
I haven't yet attempted to give Blade the inhaler, so I don't know how THAT's going to go but good luck to you and I hope TT stays in the best of health!
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 12:50pm PST 
Hi TT! wave Isabelle has had asthma all her life, and it got really bad about 2 years ago. She was then put on oral steroids (5mg every other day). We've been doing that ever since, and it's working OK. She still has flare ups and recently I had to increase her dose but am tapering her down again.

I am concerned about the long term use of steroids, but the inhaler just is not an option for me. Personally, I'd see how TT does after this initial treatment before jumping on Flovent. It may take care of the issue and not have any problems again. However, if it does recur, I'd talk with your vet about ALL the treatment options so you can make the choice right for you and TT.
way to go
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 1:09pm PST 
Hi Arthur~ I have not even gotten into costs yet, but that is really high!!

Hi Sammie~ What are your symptoms? TT had bloodwork done in February because he had a dental, so they did not do it again.

"I suppose it all depends on how frequently the asthma attacks are but the asthma will most likely progress without treatment and it's best to prevent the attacks as attacks cause inflammation in the lungs and lead to more lung damage and therefore more attacks."

Blade~ this is exactly what is bothering me. His attacks are not often at all, and this is what leads the vet to say "keep an eye on him". But if it is inevitable that it will get worse, then it makes sense to treat him now, right?

Hi Isabelle~ Your case makes me wonder if you had been put on treatment earlier, maybe you would not have gotten worse 2 years ago? I have the same concerns about steroids. The treatment our vet gave TT seems so temporary to me, I feel like once the shot wears off & the antibiotic is done, he will be back to square one... thinking
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 1:35pm PST 
Hi TT, I don't like the fact that these people told you it's "inevitable" that it will get worse. They can't know that! There are a lot of factors that go into any disease like where you live and how much pollution there is, chemical cleaners and things that you use in the house, age, other health issues, etc. There's no way for someone on the web to have a third eye into your condition! I would definitely look into using L-lysine on a continuous, daily basis. I'd also rather use Flovent than be getting a steroid! But you may not have to worry about that at this time. There may be some alternative therapy things you can do like acupuncture, which is something a lot of the kitties on my website do for numerous health conditions. I would keep checking out other possibilities. Try to use all natural cleaners in your house and get rid of carpets if you can (like I'm doing now). Kitties can become allergic to human skin dander just as we are allergic to them. Besides that, carpets are FULL of awful chemicals and many, many people have told me that I'll feel better after I get rid of mine. So I'm also counting on my kitties having better health since they rub all over them. Keep your house clean from pollen daily, just take a swiffer duster and do a quick sweep if you can every night or every other night. Use kitty wipes on your fur if you can at least once a week, these things help, believe me!
[notify]

Lacey

Backflips are my- specialty!

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 1:37pm PST 
I want to also add that even though inflammation of any kind can eventually get worse, there's no guarantee of how bad it will be or when that will happen. If you take preventative measures, it could be years from now until you see it getting even a little worse! So with age, yes, it may get worse, that part is probably inevitable. But it could be a very long time before that happens and you may be able to stay healthy enough for that not to happen!
shrug
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 1:41pm PST 
If you haven't come across it already - another good website for lots of information and advice on feline asthma: FRITZ THE BRAVE.
How often exactly does TT have the attacks? Once a month? Once a week?
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Fri May 28, '10 2:33pm PST 
Hi Lacey~ Thanks for the tips! Since I don't know what his triggers are exactly I am trying to dust & vacuum more. He is on the lysine, but I have upped his dose to 500 mg per day. I would definitely rather start him on Flovent now instead of steroids later~ the question is: will he get worse, and I guess nobody knows for sure. If he were a person, even with mild asthma, I suspect he would be treated...

Blade~ Thanks for the link, yes I have seen it, but I have been doing so much reading that I will go back and look at it again. TT has attacks less than once a month, really not very often at all. He has no other symptoms at this point, no shortness of breath or open mouth breathing. He would be classified as "mild/sporadic".

I appreciate you guys helping me work through this, TT is depending on me to handle this right.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4