GO!

For Tigger

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon May 17, '10 5:23am PST 
For some reason we can't reply to your post!

It's not uncommon for household kitties not to recognize raw meat as food. You may have to transition Tigger. There are some great tips on catinfo.org on how to do it. You can start by adding small bits of meat to his canned food, or lightly cooking it and gradually reduce the cooking time - there are different helpful hints there. Don't give up - good luck!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon May 17, '10 5:12pm PST 
Hi Tigger. I too tried to respond to your post this morning, but Catster wouldn't let me do it. I had basically said what BK posted above.

Additionally, I wanted to point out that the Whiskas wet food seems the type of stuff that a cat would initially prefer to raw. I checked their website out and their foods seem to all be chunks in gravy with added flavors, not to mention grains, and most of the flavors seem to contain a good amount of fish. A cat gets used to thinking that his food should be smelly with extra flavor enhancers. Raw meat on it's own has very little smell to a cat used to smelly foods so he may just not recognize that it's food. A good step might to be transition him off of the Whiskas and onto something like EVO or NV Instincts that is a more natural type of food.

Another trick that you can try, in addition to what BK suggested, is to "accidentally" drop some raw meat on to the floor when you are making dinner of youself. Make sure that Tigger is around, and hungry, and see if he goes for the meat. Also, if you are feeding kibble along with the Whiskas wet, get rid of it because that tends to really fill a cat up especially if he is noshing on it all day.

Good luck!

Purs,
Shade
[notify]

Daisy

Welcome to my- curly world!

Purred: Tue May 18, '10 2:01pm PST 
We have a special treat called Grandma Lucy's freeze-dried chicken livers. There are a LOT of crumbs at the bottom of the bottle (several tablespoons) which taste delicious. Whenever we are hesitant to try a new flavor of raw foods, our mom sprinkles some of the liver crumbs on top. We will gobble up anything with liver crumbs on top!
[notify]

Tigger

Meow until- something- happens.

Purred: Tue May 18, '10 2:04pm PST 
Thanks guys! I will definately try that. For the most part I've been going by the "read the ingredients in the wet food packets" idea... Making sure at least one of the first five listed item is an actual meat product such as chicken, fish, beef, ect. Adding wet food to his diet has helped keep his urinary tract crystals at bay, since he's getting more water. I read that raw food has even more water in it naturally, plus protien and minerals to help his skin and coat. Is this true?

Also, on gently transitioning him from Whiskas and his dry kibble (1/4 cup once a day, since he gets wet food too) should I fully cook the beef/chicken/lamb shreds and then gradually cook it less and less? Stovetop or microwave? Salt, no salt? Should I try giving him deer meat? I'ma newbie at this and just want him to be as healthy as he can be. He's my baby, after all! LOL.

Anyway, thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. (And sorry for any typos I missed. Tigger is currently sleeping on my lap and I have to stretch to reach my keyboard! Haha.)
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue May 18, '10 5:10pm PST 
Hi Tigger. I just found this really cool site that discusses the water content of raw vs. cooked meats: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Water_in_Meats/index.asp. Pretty interesting. Watch out for enhanced meats, ones injected with flavoring; those are not good to feed cats. It seems to me that the water content of canned foods and raw meat are pretty equivalent. In case you haven't read these raw feeding sites read through rawfedcats.org, catnutrition.org, fnes.org, and felinefuture.com (they are selling a supplement, but they have a lot of sound information).

If you wish to ccok meat for Tigger I believe the easiest way is to parboil it; just boil some water, throw some shreds of meat in for a few seconds, and then let it cool off. Don't add salt or anything else. If you go this route what you would do is eventually start cooking the meat less and less until he accepts it as raw. You could also give him meat from a cooked roast jus so long as it isn't meat with flavorings on it.

You don't have to cook meat though, that is just one suggestion for a cat that won't eat the raw. Try mixing some raw (or cooked) in with the Whiskas wet and see if he eats it. I think though that if you are feeding a lot of fish flavors of the Whiskas you're going to have a problem because the raw meat on it's own will probably not be nearly as enticing to him.

Yes, you can feed him venison; many cats love venison. You can try any meat that you can find just so long as it hasn't gone bad and isn't salted, flavored, etc.

One other thing, you didn't mention what size chunks/shreds you have given him, but go for really small. He probably won't have a clue what to do with large pieces and it takes time for cats to work up the jaw strength to really chew raw meat.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Tue May 18, '10 8:45pm PST 
Tonight I tried some parboiled chicken shreds (I literally took a chicken breast, chopped it into little shreds and threw it in the water) and he still wouldn't eat it. He eats the packaged chicken, beef, ect without a problem. is it the sauce/oil that comes in the packet he likes that isn't on the raw chicken?
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 4:45am PST 
" is it the sauce/oil that comes in the packet he likes that isn't on the raw chicken?"

Answer: Yes!

Try to mix the cooked chicken threads in with the whiskas wet.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Shadrach

FEED ME!

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 1:40pm PST 
Hi Tigger! wave I LOVE venison! Mom just found some in our freezer from the last time dad's 2-legged son killed one and gave us some!!

One thing mom does is crumble one of my treats on food for me. I like it better than when she tries mixing my raw with my canned. She buys me freeze dried chicken and freeze dried liver - both are called PureBites. I LOVE them!! All she has to do is crumble one of the little treats on my food and I'm READY TO EAT!! snoopy

I hope this is helpful to you and your mom!! Mom is usually the one ASKING for advice, not giving it, so we hope this is OK!!! shrug
[notify]

Tigger

Purred: Wed May 19, '10 5:49pm PST 
Those PawNatural treats look like a good idea. I think I'll try that. Thanks everyone for your help!
[notify]