GO!

sad feral owner, need sympathy

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

Hot Rod and- friends

Purred: Sat May 8, '10 7:39pm PST 
How do I get over the fact that four of my feral cats are missing, probably killed by coyotes? I fed these for two years and got very fond of them. One even allowed me to pet him on a regular basis, though the other three wouldn't let me do more than feed them.

I still have five feral cats that I feed nightly, but I was sure scared for awhile. Two disappeared, and then two more. I was afraid to go out each evening, for fear that more would be gone. I have trapped and neutered all my feral cats. They have a shelter inside my fenced yard, separate from the 19 acres of pasture behind our house. Nothing larger than a cat can get in. I always assumed that the cats could (and would) run here for safety, if needed.

I have had five cats show up for at least three weeks, so the threat is gone, I guess, but I still just keep thinking about coyotes eating my feral cats. How do I get that image out of my mind?

Sad...frown
[notify]

Chubs

I'm large and in- charge!

Purred: Sat May 8, '10 7:45pm PST 
You are doing a great thing, providing them with food and shelter, and most importantly getting them neutered.

Don't give up hope, though, we had one of our ferals go missing for a couple weeks and he came back - and walked inside the house never to leave again.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun May 9, '10 4:20pm PST 
It's Stella. I was once a feral kitten, whose mother showed up here in 2005 with another cat. After they became convinced of our person's good will in feeding them, my momcat had three litters of kittens. About half of those kittens disappeared; they could have been taken inside by other local families, but we don't know. in 2007, she showed up with two kittens in the fall, and then one day she never came back. Our person took those two kittens inside, and they became Queenie and Fluff, my half-sibs. Last year, Blackcat, our original feral cat, never showed up again. He was old for a feral and wild. We have lots of coyotes around here, plus people who are careless about cars. Our person still grieves for those ferals, and we three grieve for our Momcat on Mother's Day and for Blackcat, who took care of us even though he wasn't our Dadcat. There are pictures of them on my page.

It's so hard to care for feral cats or indeed any wild animal, but many of the ferals that we see are former family pets who have been dumped near here in the national forest. There is a sweet little gray cat here now who clearly is a pet, and we don't know what her status is, but she is always hungry. Purrs to you for taking care of yours and making their lives easier.
[notify]

Buddy

Diamond in the- Rough

Purred: Mon May 10, '10 10:23am PST 
I am sorry you are feeling so sad. You are such a kind person taking care of my furry buddies! I am a former feral boy and I know how lucky I am to living with my humans who take such good care of me.

Please do not give up hope. You are doing the very best you can. Take good care of yourself and know that you are appreciated for all the loving things you do. applause

Edited by author Mon May 10, '10 10:24am PST

[notify]

Hot Rod and- friends

Purred: Mon May 10, '10 12:05pm PST 
Thanks for your positive comments. I am trying to concentrate on the five feral cats I am still feeding and the two inside, former feral cats, who are lying on the quilt near me. Life goes on, and I need to remember that.
[notify]

Fuzzy - A Special- Angel Kitty

Keep down the- mouse population

Purred: Thu May 13, '10 7:13am PST 
When you are a feral kitty like me - you appreciate the food the humans serve, but you will never be my friend. I know it breaks the humans hearts -but I had the heart of a lion and thought I was invisible.

I was also killed by a coyote, and it still breaks the human's even heart today. The DEP will not trap them in CT and relocate them. So all the human can do is make the property as safe as she can for Shadow who lives there now. He has many places he can run and hide in - including inside the fenced in yard. The human still gets upset when she sees a Coyote come into yard - but she also understands that as much as she hates it - he is being what nature made him - a predator.

She can protect the dogs, and the other house kitties from him, but she cannot protect Shadow. She knows the coyote also killed 3 neighbor's pet kitties - but as much as she told them about him - they still let their kitties outside to play all day. That makes her very angry because they did not have to go to the Rainbow Bridge.

The heartbreak of a feral catgiver is never ending. You can love us, feed us, and watch over us as much as possible - but because we have the hearts of lions - you cannot change our ways.

Know that we Feral Kittys appreciate everything you humans do for us, and we try to watch over the ones you care for each day. We are grateful to have you love us for who we are.

Purrs from the Rainbow Bridge

Fuzzy

PS - I did leave the human my legacy - Apache & Amigo are my children and I let her trap them when they were young - so they are very loved & spoiled inside kitties.
[notify]