GO!

Is hissing always bad?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Clark

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 1:06pm PST 
Clark loves to come jump in my lap when I am sitting down with the laptop on the couch. I will type and then I can tell he gets annoyed that Im not paying 100% attention to him. I then start petting him. He loves it then he starts playing biting me. It doesnt hurt, no big deal. Then he changes from being playful and cute to hissing at my hand. That is when I say to him, "We are playing, you are taking this too serious" and I put him on the floor.
Is hissing ever part of play? I always thought if a cat hisses they are upset or annoyed or scared.
It is Clark that gets up on my lap, Clark that initiates the play that procedes to play biting. If this was all his choice why does it end up with him hissing? This is the only time I ever hear him hiss.
[notify]

Leo

Need Snooze- after food...

Purred: Sun Apr 4, '10 4:51pm PST 
My kitty, Leo, never used to hiss until he decided to let another stranger into his heart. His newly adopted Daddy is much loved by Leo, but if Daddy oversteps his bounds, Leo will let out a little hiss to let him know.

What's funny is that when Leo now hisses, Daddy and Mommy both remind him "No", and he seems to reproach.

Cats are weird! That's why we love them!
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Wed Apr 21, '10 3:27pm PST 
Clark's behvior is not unusual, especially if he's a young kitty. Cats have different "boiling points." Some kitties will sit for hours in a lap and soak up all the petting they can get; other cats get overstimulated fairly quickly and go from purring to playing to hissing. That's just his individual sensitivity, which may lessen as he gets older. At least he gives you signals when he's reaching the tipping point; some kitties won't let you know - they just sink their teeth into your hand!
If you look at him closely when he's starting to play as opposed to lying still in your lap, you may see that his tail is twitching or waving, his pupils are dilating, and his ears may start to point backwards, all indications that he's reaching his limit. If you are aware of these signals, you can tell it's time to stop petting and put him on the floor. That way you can avoid the hissing, biting, and scolding.
-Monster
[notify]

Aiu "Buddy"

Purred: Thu Apr 22, '10 7:41am PST 
Sometimes Buddy gets so excited to go outside that he hisses at the door in the morning. silenced Normally if he jumps in my lap or next to me on my bed he'll kick my hand away and thump his tail when he doesn't want anymore love.
[notify]